Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebrewing in Dublin

Options
  • 26-08-2004 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any homebrew-friendly shops in Dublin (South/Sout-West would be nice). I've been pointed in the direction of The Health Store chain (there's one in The Square). I believe there's Grape 'n Grain (in Dalkey?). Do Easons on O'Connell street still do it? It's been a couple of years since I've been in there but I remember they used to have a large enough section.

I'll be needing everything - wort, fermenting bin, airlock, thermometer, demi-johns/bottles, etc.

Beyond that, if anyone can recommend a particular brand I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There's one in Ranelagh opposite near the main bus shelter thingy - opposite the internet cafe....

or you could try the online one www.beersmugglers.com never used them, but have heard good things about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

How much would the equipment for home brewing cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Only one I know of is a health food shop in Greystones, is that too far for you? They certainly do all the beer (and wine) making kits, but not sure whether they do all the "hardware", as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I'd given up hope on this thread but thanks for the input.

Blisterman, a typical kit will make you 40 pints. The initial outlay for gear is about €40-€50 but there after you just buy the wort and the yeast which should come to about €20.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Cool. is it nice? Are there different recipes for different types of beers? Eg Light beer, Rice beer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

Have you ever heard of the Mr Beer kits? They're pretty nice, they only make small batches at atime, but lots of variety and even a cider, plus they're mail order.. Mr Beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Blisterman wrote:
    Cool. is it nice? Are there different recipes for different types of beers? Eg Light beer, Rice beer.

about 6 years ago my mate decided to have a go at homebrewing

after a few weeks it was ready..i dropped over with the nachos and the playstation games

after one pint he looked at me and said " are you alright?..i wasnt too sure

down hill from there...had to take the day off work...lots of lucozade

he made some kind of rocket fuel beer...and he was too afraid to make it ever again.

GO FOR IT...ITS A BLAST!!!!!!

Advertisement