Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next trend in footwear?

Options
  • 03-09-2014 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭

Bwn4maiCYAArR1g.jpg

Froma reviewers blog
    Here’s what Airia Running says about the shoes:
    After years of development, Airia is about to launch a concept that will revolutionize the way we look at running shoes. Airia One’s construction is inspired by the wheel, to ensure runners achieve that perfect feeling of flow. The shoe has a unique design … It harnesses untapped power in the human body and doesn’t leak energy like other running shoes do. In fact, it unleashes the power of a stride for a faster and more enjoyable running experience.
    Tests show that runners wearing Airia shave times by 1 percent on average, and some of them up to 7 percent. To develop the shoe Airia has used scientific methods to find out what does and does not work. The shoe is light and features a biomechanically optimized geometry with an unstable and irregular, sharply angled sole to help you move forward as fast as possible.
    Airia One has an asymmetric design which combines a zero drop with a 6mm drop sole. This allows you to run with less ground contact time and helps to keep the power in the stride more in line with the running direction.
    Runners who tested our shoes not only run faster, they get a different and better feeling from running. Most people report that they feel stronger and have an improved posture.
    This is not market research! :)

I'm curious about people's thoughts on the structure & thinking behind the shoes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Biggest concern regarding the research is that the sample size is 10 runners based on 5k TT so drawing an awful lot of conclusions from that alone especially when it was not specified as to whether or not it was a blind study.

Aside from this I think the lateral wedging will result in a rise in pos tib injuries due to the increase in workload on this muscle. Given that this is already an area of issue for alot of distance runners I personally would have my reservations about this taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Runners are idiots. If idiots are told that buying a pair of shoes will help them shave off 1% - 7% from their race times without having to do any training (any of the hard graft), they'll pull out their wallets and whip out their credit cards. This is the perfect shoe for those idiots. If we were supposed to run with our toes pointed upwards, our feet would have evolved that way.

The fact that the manufacturers include a disclaimer/warning in the box says it all. They're already preparing for the Vibram Fivefingers lawsuit. They're just hoping that when that point comes, they'll already have accumulated enough idiot money to pay the fines and walk away with a profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Runners are idiots. If idiots are told that buying a pair of shoes will help them shave off 1% - 7% from their race times without having to do any training (any of the hard graft), they'll pull out their wallets and whip out their credit cards. This is the perfect shoe for those idiots. If we were supposed to run with our toes pointed upwards, our feet would have evolved that way.

The fact that the manufacturers include a disclaimer/warning in the box says it all. They're already preparing for the Vibram Fivefingers lawsuit. They're just hoping that when that point comes, they'll already have accumulated enough idiot money to pay the fines and walk away with a profit.

Think these will go the way of the Spira's more than the Vibrams to be honest. Ultimately it is still a shoe so It doesn't have the same revolutionary visual aspect as a "glove for your foot"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If digger sees this he'll be out with the credit card :p

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

But I don't have wheels :confused:

They'd probably be great for the Roadrunner or Billy Whizz!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SureWhyNot!

Science-smience

Are they available in some decent colours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Move to tri forum? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

b.harte wrote: »
    Move to tri forum? :-)

Eh no, we had the ON runners over there, these are for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

TFB has also done a review on his blog...

http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

JohnDozer wrote: »
    TFB has also done a review on his blog...

http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.ie/

Yup, I got sent a free pair and agreed to do a review.
    ecoli wrote: »
    Aside from this I think the lateral wedging will result in a rise in pos tib injuries due to the increase in workload on this muscle.

The lateral wedging is indeed the biggest problem; I didn't get injured, but it just felt uncomfortable and wrong.

Can't see this being the new Vibram. I think they will disappear quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's hardly a new design anyway. the Mongolians have been using this concept since the early 1600s:

mongol-boots.jpg

Apparently it makes them 1% quicker on horseback (was only tested on five Mongolian horseriders, though they were all blindfolded).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

AKW wrote: »

Love the ON Cloudracers! Those runners look well, awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

It's hardly a new design anyway. the Mongolians have been using this concept since the early 1600s:

mongol-boots.jpg

Apparently it makes them 1% quicker on horseback (was only tested on five Mongolian horseriders, though they were all blindfolded).

AKW.... Have you got these bad boys in stock? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

digger2d2 wrote: »
    AKW.... Have you got these bad boys in stock? ;)

I'm sure I do *roots around stockroom, pushes aside VFF's*

Yep but only in a size 7 though!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

AKW wrote: »

They were massive at the new york marathon expo last year, massive queues etc.
    Meant the brooks stall was free for me to get the stuff i needed:D

Advertisement