Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ant + HRM Straps

Options
  • 18-08-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hi

Is it just me or re these things really unreliable? I am on my 4th strap in 3 years. The first one was my own fault because wen I was changing the battery I must have mussed the little o-ring and it got ruined. But since then I have bought another two from the manufacturer of the watch (Timex). Then thinking it was the Timex strap that was weak I bought another Ant + strap (Wahoo). It just stopped working last weekend. I wouldnt mind but I love the GPS watch.

Has anyone else had similar experience? I am looking at a Garmin now but I really like the timex.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

What are you doing with them?

ANT+ are interchangeable so once your watch is ANT+ any of the transmitters will work with it. Are the straps at fault or the transmitter? Straps can break down and require replacing annually in some cases due to sweat corroding the electrode thread. Newer straps are more durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

I'm just running!

I'll tell you in 3-5 days. I ordered a smartLab ant+. Although the last time I got a new one I tested the transmitter on my other straps and they seemed fine. Although that is good to know that the straps can be a point of failure too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I went through two Wahoo. They are crap. Have used the garmin one with the Edge 500 and had no issues with that. Now use a Powertap Power Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I had a Wahoo strap that only lasted about half a year. Very disappointing.

After getting fed up with the crap data from the strap once too often, yesterday I took a knife to the Wahoo transmitter unit to cut off most of the plastic surrounding the buttons. After my modifications the transmitter now fits onto a Polar HR strap that I had lying around, and that new combination now seems to be working beautifully.

Polar HR straps seem to be far superior to Wahoo or Garmin ones, but the Polar transmitter is not ANT compatible. However, if you can fit an ANT transmitter onto the strap, they do work with any ANT watch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I had a Wahoo strap that only lasted about half a year. Very disappointing.

After getting fed up with the crap data from the strap once too often, yesterday I took a knife to the Wahoo transmitter unit to cut off most of the plastic surrounding the buttons. After my modifications the transmitter now fits onto a Polar HR strap that I had lying around, and that new combination now seems to be working beautifully.

Polar HR straps seem to be far superior to Wahoo or Garmin ones, but the Polar transmitter is not ANT compatible. However, if you can fit an ANT transmitter onto the strap, they do work with any ANT watch.

Agree with this, I went through a few garmin straps but now use a polar strap with a garmin head unit/transmitter and haven't had any problems since. Picked it up on ebay for about 12 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

adrian522 wrote: »
    Agree with this, I went through a few garmin straps but now use a polar strap with a garmin head unit/transmitter and haven't had any problems since. Picked it up on ebay for about 12 quid.

The new garmin strap that comes with the 620 has no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Polar have changed the coupling on their straps and Garmin transmitters will no longer fit onto the connections without making some modifications with a hacksaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007XCXMV2/ref=twister_B00893LQNK is the one. M-xxl is the normal one. The small one is very small. You should research the size u need. If you are ordering over 20 pounds worth of stuff from amazon that qualifies for free uk delivery then it will be free delivery to ireland also btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

rom wrote: »
    The new garmin strap that comes with the 620 has no issues.

Don't use mine any more. Edge cuts me to bits.
    Got one of these, no more issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

neilc wrote: »

Little modification to prevent the chaffing (old mobile phone skin)
    14997207091_8092a85303_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

2 months out of the SmartLab strap and transmitter. That must be a record.

And by the above statement I mean that it's no longer working!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

neilc wrote: »
    Cool. Do you use it with a Garmin? How's the reliability?
    Any links to workouts you can share?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Cool. Do you use it with a Garmin? How's the reliability?
    Any links to workouts you can share?

Yeah I use it with the Garmin 620. I wear it on my upper arm just under the tshirt line and same side as the watch. Reliability wise, it can sometimes read high at the start of a run but I'm pretty sure that it's mainly down to myself and the way I put it on. A slight tightening or little shift is usually all it takes to fix. Of course putting it on properly in the first place would help. One other thing which I only noticed yesterday as it happens, it's slightly different than a chest strap in that you not only have to put it on but also actually switch it on for your watch to pick it up. Was 5 mins into my run when I noticed no HR data and copped I never switched it on but then discovered once an activity is started it will no longer pick it up.

Advertisement