Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating advice?

Options
  • 21-08-2010 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

I didn't work at all this past year and just presumed I'd get the grade I needed in Irish (HL) for my course (needed a B, got a C), because I was sure it was one of my strong subjects, but I didn't. My only option is to repeat, out of guilt really and the fact that I could have done 10 times better with a bit of hard work.

Could anybody tell me of any places in Dublin (or any places on a Dublin Bus/Rail route :P) that cater for repeats? Private grinds schools are probably not an option right now. I've tried googling but it's useless and there's not much helpful information. My local VECs don't cater for repeats either.

I'd also be interested in repeating Home Economics, but because of the journal I need to get it signed off. Does anybody know of anywhere that allows students to repeat Home Ec? To be honest, all I'd be looking for is to get the journal signed off because I know the course inside out! :D

Lastly, I'm thinking about picking up another subject and dropping English (afaik you can still do this). Is the English course coverable in 1 year? If you took Economics how did you find it? Is it a subject where you can just learn everything off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭davocesque

dont know about home ec and dropping english, but St Laurences in loughlinstown cater for repeats, i know at leats 10 ppl who've repeated there, defo worth one extra yr if ur gona put the effort in, otherwise no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

LadyGaga! wrote: »
    I didn't work at all this past year and just presumed I'd get the grade I needed in Irish (HL) for my course (needed a B, got a C), because I was sure it was one of my strong subjects, but I didn't. My only option is to repeat, out of guilt really and the fact that I could have done 10 times better with a bit of hard work.

Could anybody tell me of any places in Dublin (or any places on a Dublin Bus/Rail route :P) that cater for repeats? Private grinds schools are probably not an option right now. I've tried googling but it's useless and there's not much helpful information. My local VECs don't cater for repeats either.

I'd also be interested in repeating Home Economics, but because of the journal I need to get it signed off. Does anybody know of anywhere that allows students to repeat Home Ec? To be honest, all I'd be looking for is to get the journal signed off because I know the course inside out! :D

Lastly, I'm thinking about picking up another subject and dropping English (afaik you can still do this). Is the English course coverable in 1 year? If you took Economics how did you find it? Is it a subject where you can just learn everything off?

I repeated the english course and got a b1. Funnily enough I got a b3 having done it over 2 years the first time round!

Try business if you don't already do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

theowen wrote: »
    I repeated the english course and got a b1. Funnily enough I got a b3 having done it over 2 years the first time round!

Try business if you don't already do it?

Did you find it manageable? I remember the amount of material we had to cover the last 2 years was drowning!

I do, taught it to myself, thanks for the suggestion though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Is the English course coverable in 1 year?
    Definitely. I actually did better in English this year, as did a friend who repeated with me.

I'd advise reading the single text now, I believe it's Hamlet this year. http://www.sparknotes.com/ does a modern English version to read along side the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Did you find it manageable? I remember the amount of material we had to cover the last 2 years was drowning!

I do, taught it to myself, thanks for the suggestion though! :)
    Well...I didn't really study it properly. Learned off 2 essays for king lear and one came up, same with the comparative. So I can't really give a fair answer actually!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Regarding economics I think its the second shortest course in the leavin (after app maths) but its one of those subjects yeh either hate or love. Definitely manage-able (:confused:) over a year. You'll need to learn off a good bit but yeh also need to be aware of whats going on in the outside world too, and there's some tricky enough diagrams (unlike any others I've seen) to be understood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

theowen wrote: »
    Well...I didn't really study it properly. Learned off 2 essays for king lear and one came up, same with the comparative. So I can't really give a fair answer actually!:rolleyes:

Didn't even do that much this year! :D
    THFC wrote: »
    Regarding economics I think its the second shortest course in the leavin (after app maths) but its one of those subjects yeh either hate or love. Definitely manage-able (:confused:) over a year. You'll need to learn off a good bit but yeh also need to be aware of whats going on in the outside world too, and there's some tricky enough diagrams (unlike any others I've seen) to be understood.

Thanks for the insight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

My only option is to repeat, out of guilt really and the fact that I could have done 10 times better with a bit of hard work.

It's very easy to THINK this, but it's also very easy to slip into old habits and not improve too much when repeating.
    I repeated, and some of my classmates went up A LOT in points, but some people actually did worse or just barely improved.
    Lastly, I'm thinking about picking up another subject and dropping English (afaik you can still do this). Is the English course coverable in 1 year?

I repeated English in one year and got an A1, but I guess there is quite a heavy workload. It's very doable though, especially if you like the subject.
    It can be a pain though, so yeah, you might be better off picking up something else.
    I know a lot of people who did quite well in Business and Geography with one year of work on them.

Best of luck if you end up repeating. Tough old year, but it'll be worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

if you're looking for points and something easy to cover in a year do ag science. i got an a1 after taking it from october to may. very short course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

bythewoods wrote: »
    It's very easy to THINK this, but it's also very easy to slip into old habits and not improve too much when repeating.
    I repeated, and some of my classmates went up A LOT in points, but some people actually did worse or just barely improved.
    Yeah it can be tough to keep the momentum going for the whole year. It's a lot to do with your attitude I think, even if you hate every moment you need to use the hate as motivation! You can't let yourself get complacent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Mangoverboard

Quick question about repeating, do you have to do all subjects again or just certain ones you feel you need to improve on? Does this vary from school to school?

If I need to repeat I doubt I'll bother with maths and irish if I dont have to do them! I assume the points I got in them will carry over to next year?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I assume the points I got in them will carry over to next year?

No, you can only use points from one sitting of the LC. You can carry over subject requirements however, just not points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Mangoverboard

Oh really? Damn, ah well tho! Thank you:D

Advertisement