Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Induction Hob Decision - please help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Without meaning to confuse you any further I bought my induction hob in Ikea, similar to this one.

If you're fitting it into a pre-existing cut in your worktop then you'll need to pay close attention to the size.

I don't see what the big difference is between them and the Ikea one is much cheaper.

You do need special pots and pans on an induction hob, that would be a big con if you already have a press full of normal pots and pans. I was only starting out though so it made no odds to buy induction pots and pans. They're limited on where you can get them, I have some from Ikea and from Dunnes and they do the job.

Cooking wise the induction hob is so quick, I find it heats things up much quicker than an electric or gas hob, it's much easier to control. You take the pot off and after a few seconds it'll turn itself off. When you get used to this and use someone elses hob it's hard to remember to turn the hob off (a minor inconvenience).

I love it anyway and when I'm in a bigger place I hope to buy one that has no rings, just the whole hob where you can put a pot anywhere and it'll pick it up. That's the dream.

Happy shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Jesper

Without meaning to confuse you any further I bought my induction hob in Ikea, similar to this one.

If you're fitting it into a pre-existing cut in your worktop then you'll need to pay close attention to the size.

I don't see what the big difference is between them and the Ikea one is much cheaper.

You do need special pots and pans on an induction hob, that would be a big con if you already have a press full of normal pots and pans. I was only starting out though so it made no odds to buy induction pots and pans. They're limited on where you can get them, I have some from Ikea and from Dunnes and they do the job.

Cooking wise the induction hob is so quick, I find it heats things up much quicker than an electric or gas hob, it's much easier to control. You take the pot off and after a few seconds it'll turn itself off. When you get used to this and use someone elses hob it's hard to remember to turn the hob off (a minor inconvenience).

I love it anyway and when I'm in a bigger place I hope to buy one that has no rings, just the whole hob where you can put a pot anywhere and it'll pick it up. That's the dream.

Happy shopping!

It's the 'standard' 59cm by 52cm. Would you believe I made my maiden voyage to IKEA yesterday and walked right past these. Didn't recognize the brand or know anything about the quality. It is a second hand house so it will need all new pots and pans.

You won't see the normal brands in Ikea. Ikea threw up in my kitchen :D I have a hob, dishwasher, fridge freezer, oven and extractor hood from there, all going strong 3 years later without a second's bother *touch wood*.

I'm sure there are plenty of reviews online for Ikea appliances, I can only comment on my own experience but I found the price much better than branded items anywhere else, plus at the time I was very lucky and got my appliances in a 3 for 2 offer, not sure how often they do that but worth a look if you're looking to replace a few appliances. They're all A rated so supposedly have low running costs and they all do what they're supposed to do. Can't ask for much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

I would highly recommend induction hobs - have used one for the last 8 years and find them brilliant.
    Regarding the pots, you don't necessarily need special pots - regular stainless or cast iron pots/pans are absolutely fine. Allumunium or ceramic bottom pots will not work however (basically you need a magnet to be stick to the bottom of the pan for it to work).
    I have found in recent times though that most pots and pans have a version that will work on induction.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,094 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This is incorrect, there is nothing "special" about them making them any more abnormal than any other pan, the cheapest cast iron pot from lidl will work, as above they just have to be made of ferrous material.
    Not limited availability at all in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

GreeBo wrote: »
    they just have to be made of ferrous material.
    I took that to be what he meant by "special".

Many pots & pans suitable for induction hobs will not necessarily state that they are, which is what I guess you are clearing up.

This is incorrect, there is nothing "special" about them making them any more abnormal than any other pan, the cheapest cast iron pot from lidl will work, as above they just have to be made of ferrous material.
    Not limited availability at all in any way.

Cast iron will indeed work. My point was that if you have a press full of pots and pans it's likely they won't work on an induction hob. Nothing incorrect about that. Someone just wanting to buy a new hob should be made aware of that.

I found it limited on where to buy them three years ago (frying pans in particular) perhaps they're more common these days. I hope so as I can't recommend an induction hob enough, I can't see myself buying anything else in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

We have an induction hob, and I would recommend it every time over standard ceramic. When we got it we had to replace one large frying pan and a small milk pan as they would not work on it. I would never buy a standard hob again. Our regular cheapo every day saucepan set works just fine, as do our cast iron casserole pots. The induction is so much safer as the galss itself does not really get hot, only the pan.

Ikea's 365 pans work great and are great value.

rubadub wrote: »
    I took that to be what he meant by "special".

Many pots & pans suitable for induction hobs will not necessarily state that they are, which is what I guess you are clearing up.
    Thats exactly it, I would say non-ferrous is special if anything, not working is rarer than working.
    Cast iron will indeed work. My point was that if you have a press full of pots and pans it's likely they won't work on an induction hob. Nothing incorrect about that. Someone just wanting to buy a new hob should be made aware of that.

I found it limited on where to buy them three years ago (frying pans in particular) perhaps they're more common these days. I hope so as I can't recommend an induction hob enough, I can't see myself buying anything else in the future.

I had a press full of pots and pans and they all worked when I bought an induction hob 6 years ago, I rarely see pans for sale that dont work.
    A quick argos check shows a majority of pans are stainless steel which are fine for use.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A quick argos check shows a majority of pans are stainless steel which are fine for use.
    I have read that only magnetic stainless will work, which is typically lower grade stainless. Some are not having a core of magnetic stainless, or outer layer of magnetic stainless.

The first cast iron pan I found on argos says

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=IRON+FRYING&authToken=
    Suitable for the following hob types: gas, electric, halogen, ceramic, induction and solid hotplate.

This stainless one
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8612218/Trail/searchtext%3ESTAINLESS+FRYING+PAN.htm
    Suitable for the following hob types: gas, electric, halogen, ceramic, induction and solid hotplate.

while this stainless pot does not list induction
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8613114/Trail/searchtext%3ESTAINLESS+POT.htm
    Suitable for hob types gas, electric, halogen, ceramic and solid hotplates.

Now this is not proof that it will not work, but I am pretty sure not all stainless will work.

• Advertisement

Usually the base is not all stainless though, that's all you need.

Basically my point is that it's not any way difficult find pans that work it's likely your current ones work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Usually the base is not all stainless though, that's all you need.

Basically my point is that it's not any way difficult find pans that work it's likely your current ones work anyway.

Agree with this, I certainly have not struggled to find pots or pans to work with induction hobs and the vast majority of your regular pots should already work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

lemeister wrote: »
    Agree with this, I certainly have not struggled to find pots or pans to work with induction hobs and the vast majority of your regular pots should already work.

only our two pressure cookers worked. about six other assorted wouldn't work. Bought two and a frying pan that were induction compatible.
    We actually only bought a two ring plugin hob from Amazon. Best thing we ever bought. Cooking on it every day for over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I was in Aldi yesterday and they have induction frying pans for 14.99 and 19.99. These are by Crofton - I have pots by them and they're amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

I was self catering this year on hols and it had an induction hob, done my head in with the constant on/off clicking.

Was i just unlucky or do they all make that noise ?

All do, they don't run continuously they cycle on and off.

Advertisement