Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Tea

Options
  • 22-08-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I like drinking green tea for the reasons to drink it .
    But find it very bitter and bland

What could I out through it to sweeten it up . ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Heat the water to 75°c or less, any higher and the leaves will burn and be bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭nunn351

Thanks for the tip

I used always drink green tea from the boiling kettle , but notice a difference using lukewarm water

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

A slice of lemon and spoon of honey occasionally , is nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

Lemon or honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lokii

Hi nunn351,
    To get the nice flavours you need good quality, loose green tea prepared with water below 80°C and not left to steep for more than a couple of minutes.

The thing about green tea is that it will taste bitter if you add sweeteners or drink it while eating something sweet.
    To bring out the flavours you need to leave out all sugars and have it alone or with light, salty food (e.g. light salty crackers).

• Advertisement

Theres another mistake I was making cos , I normally leave the bag in the mug , and re-fill with water a 2nd time around .

will try out those tips :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

You might be interested in green rooibos tea. Tick Tock, a well-known South African brand, processes rooibos in such a way that it tastes quite like green tea. I like rooibos, and this could be a nice alternative for you.

Got a new Herbal tea now from an Amway supplier and its called Body Key .

Anyone know this one

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Does anyone know if making green tea with hotter/boiling water will release more caffeine/theanine/antioxidants from it?

I drink green tea mainly for the caffeine and theanine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Great tip re the temperature, huge difference in taste, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Undeadfred wrote: »
    Does anyone know if making green tea with hotter/boiling water will release more caffeine/theanine/antioxidants from it?

I drink green tea mainly for the caffeine and theanine

Probably not, I just take l-theanine capsules with my morning coffee to get the same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

PPC wrote: »
    Probably not, I just take l-theanine capsules with my morning coffee to get the same effect.

same, except I take it in the afternoon with my coffee. I feel the effects of coffee far more a couple hours after I wake up. Works wonders for productivity!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rachiedee4298

I am addicted to green tea with lemon - try the clipper brand, it has the nicest flavour.
    I've tried the ones in Lidl ..not so good

Advertisement