Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police uniforms.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 nightmareinnz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I've always loved uniforms such as Miami Dade Police Department:

Miami%20Dade.jpg

But I still always preferred the Gardaí Uniform as the best one. Probably cos I'm so used to seeing it!

Nothing like a two year old thread being dragged up to make you feel old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kruger248

I voted for the NYPD. It looks like a good balance between looking respectable and being practical.

I liked the Carabinieri's uniform too but they look a bit aggressive.

kruger248 wrote: »
    I voted for the NYPD. It looks like a good balance between looking respectable and being practical.

I liked the Carabinieri's uniform too but they look a bit aggressive.

Surely it's good they look aggressive though?

I'd say the Met would be the most comfortable and best designed for the actual Garda/Police officer wearing it, but the Italian outfit is what they should look like.

They should be intimidating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kruger248

Surely it's good they look aggressive though?

I'd say the Met would be the most comfortable and best designed for the actual Garda/Police officer wearing it, but the Italian outfit is what they should look like.

They should be intimidating.

it could well be a good idea to look a bit more aggressive. I'm not a garda so I couldnt really say if it would be a help or a hindrance. I can see politicians and certain sections of the public having a serious issue with it though. I would imagine terms like Robocop would get thrown about a bit if there was a move in that directon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

I have to say i do like the NSW Police uniform, nice pics nightmareinnz, Usually i'd be against reviving a 2 year old thread but, on this occassion i'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Warrior011

I like the spanish polica local uniforms, the guardia civil uniforms not so much though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

foinse wrote: »
    I have to say i do like the NSW Police uniform, nice pics nightmareinnz, Usually i'd be against reviving a 2 year old thread but, on this occassion i'm all for it.

Agreed. Certainly gave the thread an unexpected and interesting new lease of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

Hagar wrote: »
    Just for the record, the Gendarmerie no longer wear the kepi as pictured. The new headgear is visible in this pic. Link.

They wear both, the soft cap is usually worn with the general operational uniform (polo shirt and combat pants) worn by the guy at the stall in the background (which looks like a green keeper's, or bin man's uniform if you ask me). You'll still see the kepi worn by gendarmes of the Garde républicaine in dress uniform (and full ceremonial uniform) guarding state buildings around Paris. Can't believe the RCMP hasn't made this list.

• Advertisement

I remember years ago the Big Boss Man used to wear his 'uniform' to the ring.

I'm not sure if it was based on anything in particular. He was billed as being from Cobb County, Georgia (USA) and i think it was supposed to be similar to riot gear (not sure if they were aiming for riot gear in Georgia or just in general).

big-bossman.jpg

It's pretty much just a pair of combat pants, shirt, tactical vest and nightstick (weapon). He used to wear gloves a fair bit, too. Looked like it'd make for a good general purpose Poilice/Security Guard outfit all the same.

These lads look like they mean business;

armedcraigavonPA_450x300.jpg

And not just because of the guns. Even if they weren't holding guns, they'd still look intimidating. The tactical vest, utility belt, accessories hanging out of them left, right and centre. They look busy, like they have a purpose and such. AGS, as much as I like them, look more like they're just a small part of the whole force. They look like their main role is to be greet people, keep a happy face and pretty much be a travel guide for tourists. There's no meaner, angrier, more intimidating version of them out and about, you know? (I know about the Armed guys (RSU?), but chances are I'll make it through my entire life without ever seeing them.)

Sorry to float off topic here, but why are they called RSU? Surely Armed Response Unit should be ARU?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Sorry to float off topic here, but why are they called RSU? Surely Armed Response Unit should be ARU?

Regional Support Unit....RSU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

These lads look like they mean business;

armedcraigavonPA_450x300.jpg

Really are we looking at the same two guys? "Where did I leave my keys" and "oh look a wabbit?"

And not just because of the guns. Even if they weren't holding guns, they'd still look intimidating. The tactical vest, utility belt, accessories hanging out of them left, right and centre.
    If you remove the Glocks and Mp5's they probably only have as much stuff as the Gardai. As for the Vests , they are heavy and if they had the choice would rather not have them on.
    They look busy, like they have a purpose and such.
    Really same guys ? :)
    AGS, as much as I like them, look more like they're just a small part of the whole force.
    How many did you see? Because unless you saw like a 1000 you are right...
    They look like their main role is to be greet people, keep a happy face and pretty much be a travel guide for tourists. There's no meaner, angrier, more intimidating version of them out and about, you know?
    With respect Bolloxs, in the 90's I dated one of their daughters. Trust me their mean enough.
    (I know about the Armed guys (RSU?), but chances are I'll make it through my entire life without ever seeing them.)
    Not a bad complaint? TBH

I think it was because all the other bad ass names where taken.

Sorry Im in a sarcy mood , I will go get loaded and fix it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

Sorry Im in a sarcy mood , I will go get loaded and fix it...[/QUOTE]

Something to cheer you up
    Sexy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

I would prefer it if my local police/Gardai looked more intimidating, badass, disciplined and hardline rather than sloppy lax and undisciplined...
    At least to look at - when you see them coming down the street to look authorative, Ireland is rife with crime... I think an authorative look should take preferance over being approachable, half the stuff lads on o connoll street are approached about are mickey mouse stuff like asking directions, civil matters and asking for photographs etc... As opposed to actual crime related stuff.

If someone has seen someone get robbed or had something happen to them they are going to approach the police or go to the station one way or another, i don't think a vest with more pockets or combat pants will get in the way of that. I actually think they would look more impressive.

On the one hand I do like the traditional uniform as it is very professional and I think Gardai should have the shirt tie smart shoes and pants all pressed and looking the biz for court appearances...

But then for operational street work they definitely should have something a bit more practical/tactical to suit the different environments, proper boots, pants and tactical chest rig and sweatshirt, something like NSW police, Auzzies, psni outfit...
    I feel like i'm going to rip the parade pants every time i climb over a fence or a wall! Something with more room would go a long way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

redsurfer wrote: »
    Sorry Im in a sarcy mood , I will go get loaded and fix it...

Something to cheer you up

Budget cuts back home must be shocking

Advertisement