Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating website using different software?

Options
  • 12-01-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi all,

I did my own website a few years ago using free Kompozer software. I really need to update it but between problems with backgrounds loading and my hosting company changing their settings I can't do it in Kompozer. Is it possible to edit and update the site using a different program? It would be great to know before downloading and learning how to use a new one.

I don't want to change the look of it, just add some text here and there. Basically I'm hoping to be able to do it without having to recreate the whole thing, i.e., to be able to import the pages themselves into a new program.

Apologies if this is a bit vague!

Thanks, E

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Notepad ++ will do fine for what you need as long as you how to edit a bit of code as oppose to WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) type editors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

my hosting company changing their settings I can't do it in Kompozer.

What settings?

Chances are that you'll need to have the correct settings (e.g. FTP) no matter what editor you choose.

And what's happening to your background images?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    What settings?

Chances are that you'll need to have the correct settings (e.g. FTP) no matter what editor you choose.

And what's happening to your background images?

Hi again,

Sorry, should have started by saying I am pretty (or very) clueless when it comes to these things and setting it up in the first place was a painstaking step-by-step instructions job.

Editing a bit of code? Without sounding defeatist, no, wouldn't have a clue.

Regarding the background - it either won't load at all, or the image is tiling, which looks awful. I have gone through every Kompzer troubleshooting guide and forum to try to fix it but can't. I thought I might have more luck if I tried a new program.

Maybe ignore the bit about the hosts changing their settings (something to do with the way files are uploaded, they had some security breach) -I can get in touch with them about that.

I'm really hoping to avoid having to pay someone to do it as cashflow not the best right now!

Thanks, E

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Hi again,

Sorry, should have started by saying I am pretty (or very) clueless when it comes to these things and setting it up in the first place was a painstaking step-by-step instructions job.

Editing a bit of code? Without sounding defeatist, no, wouldn't have a clue.

Regarding the background - it either won't load at all, or the image is tiling, which looks awful. I have gone through every Kompzer troubleshooting guide and forum to try to fix it but can't. I thought I might have more luck if I tried a new program.

Maybe ignore the bit about the hosts changing their settings (something to do with the way files are uploaded, they had some security breach) -I can get in touch with them about that.

I'm really hoping to avoid having to pay someone to do it as cashflow not the best right now!

Thanks, E

For background it's easy fix, you should just edit css style you have and set background not to tile/repeat. But yeah try finding some friend to do it for free for you, because if you have no clue, you will end up f***ing up website look.

arleitiss wrote: »
    For background it's easy fix, you should just edit css style you have and set background not to tile/repeat. But yeah try finding some friend to do it for free for you, because if you have no clue, you will end up f***ing up website look.

Yep, have done all that and it's just not working. Thanks for taking the time to reply all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VMotion

Unregistered39, if you post or pm your web-site link we might be in better position of helping you with your background.
    Looking at the symptoms it can be that your image is too heavy that's why it doesn't load and there is probably a css issue that's why it is tiled.

VMotion wrote: »
    Unregistered39, if you post or pm your web-site link we might be in better position of helping you with your background.
    Looking at the symptoms it can be that your image is too heavy that's why it doesn't load and there is probably a css issue that's why it is tiled.

Sent you a PM - thank you!

Advertisement