Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League 1 + League 2 + BS premier and below!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Milton Keynes should just drop the Dons bit of their name now, its served its purporse. I don't hold anything against them now, despite the fact they never had to crawl up the football pyramid like teams like Burton and Crawley and Stevenage have had to (and now Wimbledon of course).

To try and be fair to Winkelman, he is ridiculously enthusiastic about football and Milton Keynes in general, and the Wimbledon whos league spot they took, was more or less dead after being killed by mismanagement.

Having a team in MK didn't do Northampton any favours, support wise, but its history now. I think it will be a few years before Wimbledon get into the same division as MK but who knows, financially I think MK might be on shaky ground.

Agree about dropping the Dons name. I think it was just an acknowledgement to the original roots.

It is a shame that Milton Keynes never followed the AFC Wimbledon route instead of "instantly buying success".
    Before MK Dons happened, the biggest football club in the area was Bletchley FC started in 1954. They did actually change their name to Milton Keynes City twenty years later but they were woeful and never made it out of the Southern area league
    They played in orange shirts and played at the Manor Grounds, next to the Rubgy and Cricket grounds.
    In fact, the 2 main Wimbledon directors Sam the Man and someother bloke actually joined as directors , the plan being to merge the clubs but this never happened so 2 clubs actually died!

Yes, hats off to Pete W. He got them into the old National Hockey stadium (complete with plastic pitch) and the cheers rang out from the "Cow Shed" complete with concrete cows.
    They escaped relegation in 2004/2005 with a memorable final match, that involved 2 late second half goals after being behind and a female streaker that everyone including the police ignored for 10 mins!
    The next season they werent so lucky but bounced back the following season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Before MK Dons happened, the biggest football club in the area was Bletchley FC started in 1954. They did actually change their name to Milton Keynes City twenty years later but they were woeful and never made it out of the Southern area league
    They played in orange shirts and played at the Manor Grounds, next to the Rubgy and Cricket grounds.

Don't think Northampton fans knew who they wanted in the League One Play-off semis. Historically Peterborough were always biggest rivals, but I think MK probably have that now. Not that it makes any difference cos the Cobblers cant get out of League 2 anyway!!!

The big game of the day.

Stevenage v Torquay.

Torquay unbeaten in last 6 games against. Not think the crowd will be great, should be a close game, look forward to seeing how many "injuries" Stevenage have today.

Torquay for me.

Stevenage promoted to League One, in sh*t game, watched by not very many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Stevenage promoted to League One, in sh*t game, watched by not very many.
    Fair play to them all the same - they were something like 17th/18th in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It was a terrible game alright...the goal was good though and the Torquay attempt that came off the cross bar near the end was a quality shot.

Fair play to them all the same - they were something like 17th/18th in January.

They did really well to stay in the play-offs near the end, think they will struggle in league one but still, as you say, fair play to them. Hopefully might encourage a few more locals to go to games too.

Huddersfield v Peterborough Kick Off 15:00

Huddersfield have sold 30,000 plus tickets, presumably Peterborough have managed to sell a few too, so should be a great atmosphere, in a fairly full Old Trafford.

Final game for Mackail-Smith, Posh's prolific scorer, he is off to a "bigger club".

Two young managers, Ferguson failed at Preston but has done well at Peterborough. Lee Clarke has done very well at his first crack of management, and both teams are on a fantastic run going into the final.

Peterborough's Irish Chairman has pumped 10 million into the club (according to publicity shy Barry Fry), and after making up with Ferguson he will be hoping for a return to the Championship.

Heart says Huddersfield, head sadly says Peterborough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

http://lockerz.com/s/105857837

Huddersfield's end at OT.

baz2009 wrote: »
    http://lockerz.com/s/105857837

Huddersfield's end at OT.

Thats brilliant, theres a lot more Huddersfield fans there than Peterborough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Go on the Posh, at least the Ferguson's get one victory this weekend.

Peterborough 3 - 0 Huddersfield

Boyd dived for free kick for first goal, then soft goal off a big deflection for second. Good goal for the third, I can watch no more.

Congrats to Peterborough, good luck in Championship (without Mackail-Smith). /gritted teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I can't stand Lee Clarke so I'm delighted Huddersfield lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭James2693

Paully D wrote: »
    I can't stand Lee Clarke so I'm delighted Huddersfield lost.

*Clark

James2693 wrote: »
    *Clark

I wonder if he'll be sporting his ''Sad Mackem B*astard'' t-shirt tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Is Mackail Smith ready for the jump from League 1 to the Premiership, only seen him a few times this season so am probably not the best judge. He has looked good but he has not proven himself in the Championship so not sure why promoted clubs are clamouring for his signature.

I wonder if he'll be sporting his ''Sad Mackem B*astard'' t-shirt tonight.

What have you get against him? I'm a Huddersfield fan btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Darren Ferguson is going to be a Premier League manager by the next two or three years.

Darren Ferguson is going to be a Premier League manager by the next two or three years.

With peterbourough?

With peterbourough?

Even if they don't get promoted again, he's done enough with them already to probably attract a club in the top flight one day.

• Advertisement

Even if they don't get promoted again, he's done enough with them already to probably attract a club in the top flight one day.

He failed misrebly with Preston though. He will need to be reasonably successful in the next 2/3yrs if he is to warrant a prem job. Tbh I can't see it happening.

He failed misrebly with Preston though. He will need to be reasonably successful in the next 2/3yrs if he is to warrant a prem job. Tbh I can't see it happening.

Think Preston was a learning curve for him, and believe he could've got them out of danger in the second half of season.

But with several promotions under his belt, I think he's doing something right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

We all have our crosses to bare :P

Think Preston was a learning curve for him, and believe he could've got them out of danger in the second half of season.

But with several promotions under his belt, I think he's doing something right.

Good point about it been a learning curve. But it will be a different game for peterbouragh and ferguson in the championship. They will struggle despite having have a couple of good players in Boyd and their goalie(can't think of name). Macail smith is on his way as soon as aswell.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    We all have our crosses to bare :P

What's that suppose to mean?

Good point about it been a learning curve. But it will be a different game for peterbouragh and ferguson in the championship. They will struggle despite having have a couple of good players in Boyd and their goalie(can't think of name). Macail smith is on his way as soon as aswell.

Just ask 'dad' for a favour? :D

Just ask 'dad' for a favour? :D

Haha I'd say that could come into it alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

What's that suppose to mean?

It was just a joke mate. Im from Bradford so naturally we have a bit of rivalry with the town fans. Just banter mate!

He was pictured with Newcastle fans at an FA Cup final wearing a t-shirt saying ''Sad Mackem B*stards'' whilst he was a Sunderland player. He then mysteriously got injured/fell ill before every game against Sunderland after he was sold on the back of this incident. I'm a Sunderland fan.

lee-clark-sad-mackem-bastards-t-shirt.jpg

On a slightly seperate note he's had quite a bit of money to spend for a League 1 club and still hasn't got Huddersfield promoted so I can't see why he's always bigged up as a good up and coming young manager either. He's very average IMO, although I can see Newcastle giving him that job some day for some reason.

• Advertisement

He was pictured with Newcastle fans at an FA Cup final wearing a t-shirt saying ''Sad Mackem B*stards'' whilst he was a Sunderland player. He then mysteriously got injured/fell ill before every game against Sunderland after he was sold on the back of this incident. I'm a Sunderland fan.

lee-clark-sad-mackem-bastards-t-shirt.jpg

On a slightly seperate note he's had quite a bit of money to spend for a League 1 club and still hasn't got Huddersfield promoted so I can't see why he's always bigged up as a good up and coming young manager either. He's very average IMO, although I can see Newcastle giving him that job some day for some reason.

Haha I couldn't help but laugh at that t-shirt incident.
    Yeah he has had a lot of money to spend. But we have a top chairman, a true town fan, who trusts in Clark. And if he trusts in Clark that's enough for me to aswell.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Is Mackail Smith ready for the jump from League 1 to the Premiership, only seen him a few times this season so am probably not the best judge. He has looked good but he has not proven himself in the Championship so not sure why promoted clubs are clamouring for his signature.

I suppose the price is encouraging people to enquire, not sure how much Peterborough want for him, but if a team can get him for 3 or 4 million it might be worth a gamble. Its only going to be the bottom end of the Premier League or one of the Glasgow teams that want/can afford him anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

The big game of the day.

Stevenage v Torquay.

Torquay unbeaten in last 6 games against. Not think the crowd will be great, should be a close game, look forward to seeing how many "injuries" Stevenage have today.

Torquay for me.

Life long Torquay supporter. Was there, Seat WL101, LL, 174.:o

Was a poor game all in, Stevenage better on the day. We had the debacle of Paul Buckle will he/won't he go hanging over the players heads....

Old Trafford not the place for the game (11.4K crowd dwarfed by stadium). FL made a boo boo on this one. Wembley the last few times has had the atmosphere, because it's Wemberrrlleee, but this time there were 2 other little known teams playing there saturday night:confused::confused:

Never mind, still League 2 next season. Bring it on, again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Hudddersfield won't go up for as long as they build their defence around Peter Clarke.

Delighted to see Swansea go up yesterday. We got promoted with them from League Two in 04/05 and then we won promotion to the Championship at the Liberty at 05/06. We had some amazing tussles with them in that period and they were great hosts the day that we went up. They also play football the right way and, in Mark Gower, have probably my favourite Southend player ever. I'm hoping he gets a few games next year.

I suppose the price is encouraging people to enquire, not sure how much Peterborough want for him, but if a team can get him for 3 or 4 million it might be worth a gamble. .

He's out of contract, I thought.

I'm pretty sure he's got another year on his contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I think Mackail Smith, Boyd and Lewis all have another year on their contracts but will most likely be sold this summer to raise some funds.

Anyone know where I might get a Nott'm Forest jersey?
    I really want the new one that's coming out but it costs nearly 70 quid online!

EDIT: *facepalm* they're in the Championship, not League 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

half the squad has gone on the transfer list with CMS, Boyd and Lewis also going so will be a busy summer for Barry.

Fergie is not going to make the same mistake as last year by being to loyle to players that can't cut it in the Championship.

If Boyd goes I would like Micheal Jacobs to replace him, how's Gary getting on down the Wobblers?

Worth a few quid next year on promotion??

Mr Posh wrote: »
    half the squad has gone on the transfer list with CMS, Boyd and Lewis also going so will be a busy summer for Barry.

Fergie is not going to make the same mistake as last year by being to loyle to players that can't cut it in the Championship.

If Boyd goes I would like Micheal Jacobs to replace him, how's Gary getting on down the Wobblers?

Worth a few quid next year on promotion??

Michael Jacobs is a great young player, there is a lot of talk in town about him going apparently. Would be gutted, to say the least, if Peterborough sign him, but would be hard to keep him if any Championship team comes a calling. The only plus side would be we might get a few quid for him as he signed a new contract since January.

Johnson hasn't really won the fans over yet, Sampson (previous manager) was a Cobblers legend, and it took Johnson SO long to register his first win, they got impatient. He has let a couple of fan favourites go, hes re-signed Akinfenwe (the human brick sh*t house) which is fine, but he made out it was some big statement of intent!! Not sure how its much of a coup. Still, getting shot of Malcolm Crosby is a great move, muppet of an assistant manager, who, I think, f*cked it up for Sammo.

Cobblers might be worth a punt each way, I will probably stick a tenner on, out of loyalty rather than hope!

I can't belive you took Nana off our hands.... truly one of the worst players I have seen down London road for a while but Davis should do well for you.

Gary likes to make his mark and I do expect to see you in the top six next season, we do have some more good players up for grabs if Gary comes knocking.

my two summer signings would be Baldock from MK and Jacobs from you, league 1 and 2 should be cracking leagues next year!!

getting bored already!!

any predictions for a triple on promotion from the three leagues? I never get it right

heres my yealy 50 quid down the drain

League 2 Wycombe Wanderers
    League 1 Preston
    Champ Leicester City

• Advertisement

"Snapped up" Ofori-Twumasi on a 2 year deal!!! :eek: Hes still young (crosses fingers and toes!), don't think if you end up with Jacobs it would be a fair swap!!! Aaron Davis decent enough then? Hopefully he won't go for much of a fee, cos we aren't big spenders, pay decent wages though. Club run in the black though, so can't complain.

Predictions, which will undoubtedly be wrong:
    Championship: West Ham
    League One: Huddersfield
    League Two: Shrewsbury

How do you reckon Posh will get on in the Championship? MacAnthony giving Fergie Jr much of a transfer kitty? I think you might have a sniff of a play-off if you spend a bit.

True Nana could be one for the future but he needs to sort his attitude out first

Realistically I am hoping to avoid relegation so we can consolidate, but with losing our three best players its going to be tough, looking at the league I don’t know where the points are going to come from but just happy to be playing in what I consider to be one of the best leagues in the world………sod the Prem!!!

I know you are our main rivals but I would rather see you in league 1 than MK any day of the week!!

looking forward to the transfer merry go round now

Mr Posh wrote: »

I know you are our main rivals but I would rather see you in league 1 than MK any day of the week!!

looking forward to the transfer merry go round now

Yeah, MK did us no favours at all, took a lot of the 2nd club/every other week fans. Common enemy there, shame we can't get anywhere near the same league as either of you!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I think Mackail Smith, Boyd and Lewis all have another year on their contracts but will most likely be sold this summer to raise some funds.
    I heard Barry Fry on the radio the other day saying Mackail-Smith is "already gone". It just depends on who the deal is done with. He didn't mention any clubs specifically, but I'm sure there's loads of interest.

I heard Barry Fry on the radio the other day saying Mackail-Smith is "already gone". It just depends on who the deal is done with. He didn't mention any clubs specifically, but I'm sure there's loads of interest.

Supposedly Wigan (Last I heard it was between them, Everton and QPR) for £3 million. LINK

CMS is on his holiday at the moment and all will be finalized when he returns as dooferoaks says its going to be between Wigan, Everton, QPR, Norwich with Birmingham also in the running…my money would be on Norwich or OPR.

As long as we get 2 mill plus I don’t mind……..I wish the lad well, he has been a top player for us over the last 5 years and deserves the chance to make some big money!!

ntfc Northampton Town
    Northampton Town have signed the former Shrewsbury Town striker Jake Robinson on a 2 year contract

Good signing. He played outwide a lot last season, especially at Torquay, but still scored a lot of goals.

I'm a bit worried about Northampton this season.

Chairman has agreed to pay players agents this year so finding it slightly easier to sign players. He reckons we will need 5,000 average gate this season to break even, averaged just over 4,000 last season, which was a desperate season, so hopefully. You can get a £250 season ticket this year too which is brilliant.

0,,10425~9727143,00.jpg

Yeah I heard about the £250 season tickets. For a small ground like Sixfields I don't see how the numbers work out to allow you to sell that cheap. That seems a pretty low gate to see you break even. 5,000 x £200 (taking into account concessions) gives you £1,000,000 before tax. That's lower that Southend's wage budget and we couldn't compete with Akinfenwa's wage demands last summer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement