Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League 1 + League 2 + BS premier and below!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

greendom wrote: »
    Barnet have signed the ex-Fulham striker Collins John. He's still only 26 so may be a decent signing. He has most recently been employed by clubs in Azerbaijan and Iran so it looks like a gamble. We are desperate though.
    That could be a masterstroke if he shows the right attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Nil nil thriller at Sixfields. Solid in defence and a bit clueless up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Decent away win for Bradford. Strikers are in form. Keep up the good home form and should be a decent season

Great win for the Wombles today, ground it out and got first clean sheet since the opening day.

News from the lower leagues. Poor old Kettering Town of the Southern League Premier Division, the seventh division of English football can only field 10 players today, they were in the conference last year but money matters have destroyed them.

Very sad, they are all but gone for good, to follow Rushden and Diamonds, which leaves Corby Town struggling in the Conference North and Northampton Town as the only teams playing at any kind of level in what is a fairly heavily populated county. Difficult to know where it has all gone wrong so quickly.

Edit: Breaking news, Kettering have an 11th player, but none of the press or fans know who he is ! and they can't/haven't submitted a team sheet.

2nd Edit: They are playing their sub Goalkeeper (who was their only sub) at number 3.

3rd Edit: The Kettering 11 named includes Ben Gathercole, who hasn't arrived at the ground yet! So they could be back to 10 come KO in 15 minutes...

4th Edit: Very sad for a club going for 140 years, this definitely looks like the end. They have started with 10 on the pitch, including the sub goalie at 3.

5th Edit: Kettering kept score down to one in first half, but have run out of steam and are 3 down now already, could be a cricket score.

6th Edit: 7 nil down.

Big game for Northampton today, need a win. Playing with a centre half in midfield though due to injury.

Down to 10 men already, fupping great start.

2 down, looks the Cobblers are gifting Bristol Rovers their first home win in 7.

Kettering have had their electric cut off, can only field 6 players for tonights game. So in short, that's it, 140 years and they are done. It was only a couple of years ago in 2009 that they took Leeds to a replay in the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That's very sad.

I went to Rockingham Road, once, in the late 80s and it was a great atmosphere. Always seemed a very vibrant place.

I'll always remember them fondly as we bought one of our greatest heroes from them - Nicki Evans

Thought I would post here as its got limited interest to most but yeah it is sad, the chairman sank them. He had Gazza as a manager for a week, Ron Atkinson as adviser or something, moved the team to Rushden's old ground 15 minutes away by car from Kettering, which they never had a hope of filling. The great thing about Rockingham Road was just how central it was. I dare say it will have a Tescos on it before too long. The current manager never met the chairman and was hired by text, the current manager offered to pay players, out of his own pocket, to play at the weekend and could only get 10.

I worked in Kettering for a couple of years and people were always quietly proud of the Poppies, went a few times, and apart from their hatred of the Cobblers (!) I liked it there.

As I say, limited interest, but in these days where football clubs are becoming "Brands" (on another thread), the life and soul of real football is slowly but surely being eroded away.

Other sad news, this time from the Conference, Truro City are all but gone. They owe 700,000 in unpaid tax, story HERE

One bit of Kettering news, the caretaker manager has still not given up hope, think he might be deluded but go to love his style. Story HERE. Quite an apt title No money. No players. No points. No electricity.

• Advertisement

Barnet announce on twitter Edgar David is now joint head coach! :O

Great signing if true

dooferoaks wrote: »

Great signing if true

Amazing - is that not the weirdest thing to have happened in football in quite a while. I imagine he'll be gone after he sees them in training tomorrow...:D

Great signing if true

Amazing - is that not the weirdest thing to have happened in football in quite a while. I imagine he'll be gone after he sees them in training tomorrow...:D

Next Friday is his big test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats a weird one alright, is this one of those daft owner stunts or does he have genuine ambition to learn at the lower levels of the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

His 'local club Barnet'? Why didn't he just take a role in the Ajax academy? Very strange, seems like a stunt tbh.

token101 wrote: »
    His 'local club Barnet'? Why didn't he just take a role in the Ajax academy? Very strange, seems like a stunt tbh.

Supposedly he has lived in London since his short stint with Crystal Palace, time will tell if its a stunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Anyone see The Football League Show last Sat? The bit where they sent that eejit Clem to Wycombe Wanderers? Gareth Ainsworth came across as a really likeable guy. His guitar playing and singing was hilarious though.

I found it sad though when Clem asked the players if they shared their boss' taste in music (glam and electro rock). They all started to laugh. It seems today's footballers are into their RnB, Hip Hop and other such trash.

token101 wrote: »

There are plenty of leafy pads around Barnet, in Arkley, Totteridge and Hadley. He probably picked one up, like dooferoaks said when he was at Palace, or even more likely when he was at Spurs.

Kleanthous is not really one for stunts. He does make mistakes though - Tony Cottee the main one. He'll be forever Tony C**tee to me

Not a great start for Davids today at Barnet,but he will need time, first win in five for the Cobblers and a young lad on loan from Man City did quite well on debut. Barnet next up.

• Advertisement

Not a great start for Davids today at Barnet,but he will need time, first win in five for the Cobblers and a young lad on loan from Man City did quite well on debut. Barnet next up.

I don't think Davids in his prime could save us now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I don't know what came over me yesterday but I backed Barnet. Ridiculous decision.

Huge win for the Shrimpers yesterday. There can't be many managers in the lower league who could deal with all the crap that Paul Sturrock has had to deal with this season and still have his team challenging.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't know what came over me yesterday but I backed Barnet. Ridiculous decision.

Huge win for the Shrimpers yesterday. There can't be many managers in the lower league who could deal with all the crap that Paul Sturrock has had to deal with this season and still have his team challenging.

From seeing the highlights of the Southend - Barnet game last weekend, it looked like an absolute cracker. Shame Barnet couldn't hold onto the 3 points but the draw was probably a fair result.

There can't be many managers in the lower league who could deal with all the crap that Paul Sturrock has had to deal with this season and still have his team challenging.
    +1.
    Not to mention his ongoing health problems too.

And that's the thing with Sturrock, he rarely does mention his health problems, he definitely has more class than most managers and is almost a polar opposite from someone like Steve Evans at Rotherham, who I am glad to see aren't pulling up many trees.

Our publicity shy manager (!) is on Sky Sports tonight for analysis of Port Vale v Oxford. Expect to hear audible tutting and sighing if the ball makes too much contact with the grass.

Edgar Davids starts for Barnet tonight.

Booked after 14 Mins for persistent fouling.

?First pic of Davids in a Barnet kit:

A5mIx8wCYAA1zWY.jpg

Fupping Barnet winning 1 - nil

Edit again: 2 shaggin nil now.

• Advertisement

Edgar Davids starts for Barnet tonight.

Booked after 14 Mins for persistent fouling.

?First pic of Davids in a Barnet kit:

A5mIx8wCYAA1zWY.jpg

Fupping Barnet winning 1 - nil

Edit again: 2 shaggin nil now.

I'd like to thank that post 3 times but I can't :);)

I'd like to thank that post 3 times but I can't :);)

Well nothing like playing Northampton to give Barnet a confidence boost! Amusingly (well it would be If I weren't a Cobblers fan) Boothroyd was talking about this game as ideal opportunity to lay down a marker! He talks a good game anyway

Attendance: 2,721 including 774 Cobblers fans.

Edit: Fortunately I have had several beers so the fact that Barnet have now scored 4 is less painful.

Well hopefully that was just a small blip for Northampton and the start of Barnet's season

Well hopefully that was just a small blip for Northampton and the start of Barnet's season

Congrats, Davids was class apart apparently, maybe this IS the kickstart for them, sadly the Cobblers can seemingly only play one half.

FA Cup first round, where the big guns come in!! :D

Tie of the round Northampton v Bradford.
    Kidderminster Harriers v Oldham Athletic
    Hayes & Yeading or Boreham Wood v Brentford
    Chelmsford City or East Thurrock v Colchester United
    Metropolitan Police v Crawley Town
    Luton Town v AFC Telford United or Nuneaton Town
    Portsmouth v Notts County
    Bishop's Stortford v Hastings United
    Fleetwood Town v Bromley
    Forest Green Rovers or Dartford v Port Vale
    Torquay United v Hyde or Harrogate Town
    AFC Bournemouth v Dagenham & Redbridge
    Morecambe v Rochdale
    Swindon Town v Macclesfield Town
    Cambridge City v Milton Keynes Dons
    Cheltenham Town v Yate Town or Newport County
    Dorchester Town v Plymouth Argyle
    Coventry City v Arlesey Town
    York City v AFC Wimbledon
    Bury v Exeter City
    Chesterfield v Hartlepool United
    Doncaster Rovers v Bradford Park Avenue
    Gillingham v Scunthorpe United
    Aldershot Town v Hendon
    Lincoln City or FC Halifax Town v Walsall
    Wrexham v Alfreton Town
    Southend United v Stockport County
    Crewe Alexandra v Wycombe Wanderers
    Bristol Rovers v Sheffield United
    Hereford United v Shrewsbury Town
    Mansfield Town v Slough Town or Gosport Borough
    Barnet v Oxford United
    Rotherham United v Stevenage
    AFC Fylde or Ilkeston Town v Accrington Stanley
    Gloucester City v Leyton Orient
    Burton Albion v Altrincham
    Guiseley v Barrow
    Northampton Town v Bradford City
    Preston North End v Yeovil Town
    Braintree Town v Tranmere Rovers
    Carlisle United v Ebbsfleet United

• Advertisement

Tie of the round Northampton v Bradford.

BRING IT! :D

BRING IT! :D

Thats the first trip to your place negotiated. 3 good points again

Thats the first trip to your place negotiated. 3 good points again

Just over 250 Bradford fans last night, not bad for a midweek game.

Dreadful game by all reports, sounded like a draw would have been fair result apart from Nahki Wells showing a bit of class (does he do that everywhere or just when he plays Northampton!!?). Northampton showed nothing going forward, and their "style" of play means the ref has a sore throat from all the whistling by the end of the game.

Cobblers brave new dawn is over already! We are officially 1 point better off than we were last season. Midfield has been forgotten about by Boothroyd completely. Taking long ball to whole new and unsuccessful level.

So a last minute penalty was enough for Barnet to take home the 3 points away at Chester field. After picking up 3 points in our first 12 games we've now collected 7 in our last 3. 3 clean sheets too. I'm enjoying the edgar davids effect

Good win for the Cobblers against Port Vale, horrendous double break to the leg of one of strikers after the first goal though.

Very thin squad now but I think mid table is where we will probably end up.

Congratulations to Bradford on their fantastic league cup win. Hopefully they are knackered now after that and only want to concentrate on the one cup!

Congratulations to Bradford on their fantastic league cup win. Hopefully they are knackered now after that and only want to concentrate on the one cup!

Penalty kings!

Penalty kings!

Its Matt Duke you see, schooled at Sixfields during his time on loan :D

Best news for the Cobblers today, their nemesis Wells on the bench for Bradford!

A6yN72dCQAABWhC.jpg

Some rotation was needed for City given midweeks exploits

• Advertisement

Some rotation was needed for City given midweeks exploits

Looks like it will be enough, who ever you put out, winning 1 nil already.

Looks like it will be enough, who ever you put out, winning 1 nil already.

yeah things seem to be going well. parky has his own players in and there are decent backup options for the first time in a long while

1-1 now

What every league 2 team needs, another game to fit in, especially difficult for Bradford with their epic Capital One cup exploits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

What every league 2 team needs, another game to fit in, especially difficult for Bradford with their epic Capital One cup exploits.

Would you prefer the game went to extra time and/or penalties? Prefer the replay option myself.

Charisteas wrote: »
    Would you prefer the game went to extra time and/or penalties? Prefer the replay option myself.

As a fan, definitely prefer the replay option too, but workload of the team with a very small squad with a lot of injuries, I think penalties might have been a better option. Even getting knocked out first round of everything everyone in League 1 and 2 plays 49 games, so if you do half way decent, like Bradford have its a lot of games to squeeze into a season.

There should be unlimited replays, like the old days. And the Cup Final should always be the last game of the season. And Policemen should be taller.

This night exactly six years ago, was the greatest night of my entire life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

This night exactly six years ago, was the greatest night of my entire life.

I remember watching it on Sky Sports and I'll never ever forget it.......Some free kick!! The lads were super at the back aswell, Efe and Spence.

And do I remember a certain Gary Hooper coming on in the dying minutes aswell??

We played some superb stuff aswell but then again, didn't we always play like that when we had Super Steve Tilson. I miss him!!

I also remember parading around college the next day sporting the jersey, with Eastwood on the back of it of course.

Something tells me too that we could be the only team in the entire league with a 100% record against Utd. At least that's what they said at the time and I don't think any result happened since then to change it!!! I am open to correction on that though!! :)

BTW...Were you at that match???

• Advertisement

We're not just the only team with a 100% record against United, we're the only team in England with a positive record (more wins than losses) against them.

Gary Hooper actually started the game alongside Eastwood. He went off injured in the second half.

Yeah, I was there. I had a season ticket in the South Upper at the time so was in my usual seat. I'm off to my first game of the season on Saturday vs Port Vale and can't wait.

Advertisement