Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Personal details must be handed over by Government to keep up US Visa waiver scheme.

• 18-11-2008 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

The GOVERNMENT will have to agree to a sweeping new agreement on sharing criminal data with the United States if Ireland is to remain part of the visa waiver programme, US homeland security secretary Michael Chertoff said yesterday.

The deal would mean exchanging data, including DNA and fingerprint records, and in some cases details of individuals' political and religious beliefs and sexual orientation - even on people not planning to travel to the US.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/1118/1226961467105.html?via=mr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,061 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Oh no they are gonna find out about that packet of chewing gums I nicked when I was 13!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

what ever happened to data protection? bloody tinfoil hat wearing americans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

dade wrote: »
    what ever happened to data protection?
    ROFL :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

The US-German agreement, which was signed last March and served as the basis for subsequent deals with other countries, states that each country's authorities should have access to each other's fingerprint databases and DNA profiles. If fingerprints or DNA profiles match those of someone suspected of committing or planning serious crimes, further personal data can be exchanged. The agreement does not limit the sharing of information to data on air travellers or on convicted or suspected criminals but defines personal data as "any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person" and Article 12 identifies "special categories" of personal information.

"Personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions or religious or other beliefs, trade union membership or concerning health and sexual life may only be provided if they are particularly relevant to the purposes of this Agreement," it notes. Both parties agree to "take suitable safeguards, in particular appropriate security measures" to protect such information but the safeguards are not identified.

Doesn't seem quite so sinister when you look at the details of it, although you would need to know what the safeguards actually are. But then that wouldn't suit you would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

To hell with the yanks. Tosspots.

I sure as hell wont be voting for it. If it comes to a vote, which it should.

How in gods name are they going to take my DNA and my fingerprints... I think it's a crock of ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Forgive my ignorance, what is the visa waiver programme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

To hell with the yanks. Tosspots.

I sure as hell wont be voting for it. If it comes to a vote, which it should.

How in gods name are they going to take my DNA and my fingerprints... I think it's a crock of ****.

This. Only more eloquent.

Forgive my ignorance, what is the visa waiver programme?
    Since October 2006 anyone issued with a microchiped passport did not need to apply for a Visa to enter the US. This was a way of "blackmailing" people into accepting these wonderful new high tech passports. Those on older conventional pre Oct 2006 passports had to go through the old procedure of applying for a visa,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The GOVERNMENT will have to agree to a sweeping new agreement on sharing criminal data with the United States if Ireland is to remain part of the visa waiver programme, US homeland security secretary Michael Chertoff said yesterday.

The deal would mean exchanging data, including DNA and fingerprint records, and in some cases details of individuals' political and religious beliefs and sexual orientation - even on people not planning to travel to the US.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/1118/1226961467105.html?via=mr

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Collecting data on people not even interested in travelling to their effing country is way over the top.

"Personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions or religious or other beliefs, trade union membership or concerning health and sexual life may only be provided if they are particularly relevant to the purposes of this Agreement," it notes.
    Super nanny state

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    FYP
    What did ya fix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Okay, I can kinda see why the idea was formed, but thats where it should have stayed. In all fairness, who the **** do they think they are, and with the state of their economy at the moment, they should be encouraging tourism, not the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

-[/B] even on people not planning to travel to the US.

We should ask them in return for info on all those rendition flight people. they wern't planning on coming here or going to the US:eek::pac:

What did ya fix?

I just took all the bold off the nice big shiney words like DNA etc that Run to the Hills had highlighted to get peoples hearts racing ( it seems to have worked judging by how many people didn't actually read the full posting or information provided later ) and i put into bold the true crux of the issue.

That it's CRIMINAL information.

So guess what decent citizens, if you haven't been arrested then you have **** all to worry about.

As usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Since October 2006 anyone issued with a microchiped passport did not need to apply for a Visa to enter the US. This was a way of "blackmailing" people into accepting these wonderful new high tech passports. Those on older conventional pre Oct 2006 passports had to go through the old procedure of applying for a visa,

Not true. I was in the States three times in the last 18 months or so and didn't apply for a visa. And all I had was a machine readable passport with no chip thingie in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

I just took all the bold off the nice big shiney words like DNA etc that Run to the Hills had highlighted to get peoples hearts racing ( it seems to have worked judging by how many people didn't actually read the full posting or information provided later ) and i put into bold the true crux of the issue.

That it's CRIMINAL information.

So guess what decent citizens, if you haven't been arrested then you have **** all to worry about.

As usual.

Surely Interpol do all that anyway, so it is in fact, nothing new at all...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not true. I was in the States three times in the last 18 months or so and didn't apply for a visa. And all I had was a machine readable passport with no chip thingie in it.
    Correct, aslong as its machine readable you dont need to apply for a visa.

I've got one of those fancy new passports and as said above i'm not a criminal so they can have my DNA if they want, should come in handy when i need a cloned Kidney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Retards trying to police the world. Hope someone drops a bomb on the White House.

• Advertisement

Surely Interpol do all that anyway, so it is in fact, nothing new at all...

Indeed. Information sharing is par for the course when it comes to stopping international movement of various criminal entities.

But remember, we should never let the harsh light of day or the cold fristy facts get in the way of another Run to da Hills special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Simple solution.. If you dont like it dont go to america. Its their country, if they want you to jerk off and fill up a cup at customs thats their perogative

Wagon wrote: »
    Retards trying to police the world. Hope someone drops a bomb on the White House.

Right on! Fight the Power! Burn Your Bra! etc. etc. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭phoebe!

don't know how this will work as it takes about 6 weeks to get a garda clearance!

But remember, we should never let the harsh light of day or the cold fristy facts get in the way of another Run to da Hills special.

Indeed, he must be the worlds biggest single user of tinfoil:D
    I bet the local Tesco always runs out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

yeah, machine readable has a chip.

Thats what makes it machine readable! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Huh ?
    Nobody has to apply for a visa. The visa waiver is the visa they just give you when you show up looking to come in. It's a 90 day holiday visa. I think recently they made you register online a few days before you leave, that's about it.

Any way it doesn't matter the Gardai have no facility for storing DNA or fingerprints, it's not like CSI where they can "run it through the database". The closest they have to a database is a filing cabinet where they drawers don't open properly. They don't even store criminals info.

peanuthead wrote: »
    yeah, machine readable has a chip.

Thats what makes it machine readable! :rolleyes:

No it doesn't. The barcode makes it machine readable. You can take your rolleyes some place else kiddo.

I've had the passport for nearly 9 years.

snyper wrote: »
    Simple solution.. If you dont like it dont go to america.

Thats my cunning plan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Are there not EU regulations on privacy policies and the sharing of information like that?

snyper wrote: »
    Simple solution.. If you dont like it dont go to america. Its their country, if they want you to jerk off and fill up a cup at customs thats their perogative

That's exactly why I refuse to go to the states anyway. But they still want my personal information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Im not one bit bothered. Theres not much to know really and i dont plan on ever going to the US anyway.

Thats my cunning plan

your raw genius has just fooled the might of US homeland security.

Bravo

Kold wrote: »
    That's exactly why I refuse to go to the states anyway. But they still want my personal information.
    Are you a criminal guilty of a crime that required either giving a DNA sample or a submitting your finger prints?? If so The US deserve to know if you are entering their country. If you don't go there they will never use this info so why ya so worried? Are you currently cultivating a beard?

Are you a criminal guilty of a crime that required either giving a DNA sample or a submitting your finger prints?? If so The US deserve to know if you are entering their country. If you don't go there they will never use this info so why ya so worried? Are you currently cultivating a beard?

When I was 6, I went to the Scouts annual fair where the Police had a stall. I willingly gave them my prints in exchange for some stickers. Stupid now I think back.

They weren't even shiny.

And I already stated, I don't intend on going to the US so why should they be entitled to that information? We allow their troops over here to commit their crimes in the Middle East.

• Advertisement

LIES. Scouts have age limits and at 6 you were obviously too young to be a scout.

LIES. Scouts have age limits and at 6 you were obviously too young to be a scout.

They won't turn you away from the Summer Fair though...

Are there not EU regulations on privacy policies and the sharing of information like that?
    The EU couldnt give two sh*ts about privacy policies.

The same gun was put to the Governments head by the EU authorities just yesterday concerning personal data handed out with all European Flight check in'st !!!. http://www.herald.ie/national-news/c...s-1542263.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Indeed, he must be the worlds biggest single user of tinfoil:D
    I bet the local Tesco always runs out

Pfft. Everyone knows store bought tinfoil has been compromised by the NWO to allow psychic energy to slip out through tiny little holes. If you want to be protected, you either have to make it yourself or find somewhere still selling stock from pre-1984. I shouldn't need to tell you how hard it is to find 25 year old tinfoil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,049 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

peanuthead wrote: »
    Okay, I can kinda see why the idea was formed, but thats where it should have stayed. In all fairness, who the **** do they think they are, and with the state of their economy at the moment, they should be encouraging tourism, not the opposite.
    They are, goof. Making it easier to get through border control?

Anyway with the way people roll over and let governments do what they want without a fight, I suspect you will all have forgotten about it in 2 weeks.

Go or no go, we'll still know whether you're gay or straight.

• Advertisement

^Oh noes they're already among us harvesting our personal informationz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,049 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yep. By the way whoever said bomb the white house: I've had you blacklisted. You'll get cavity searched at port. enjoy!

Overheal wrote: »
    Yep. By the way whoever said bomb the white house: I've had you blacklisted. You'll get cavity searched at port. enjoy!

Why wait til he gets to port. Extraordinarily render his sorry ass!

Overheal wrote: »
    They are, goof. Making it easier to get through border control?

Anyway with the way people roll over and let governments do what they want without a fight, I suspect you will all have forgotten about it in 2 weeks.

Go or no go, we'll still know whether you're gay or straight.

this message has being brought to you by the US homeland security official card carrying boards american representative the letters O and p and the number 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

How does the Irish Government know anyone's sexual orientation....oh my god that was Brian Cowen in the G. *Faints*

Not a particularly big deal, as usually when I go to the States I intend to leave my DNA all over it's citizens(legally) and I gave them my prints a very long time ago.

P

Advertisement