Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political correctness

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Acacia wrote: »
    After Hours definition of 'politically correct'-

adjective , usually referring to 'paedo defenders' *, 'homo lovers' **, and people who want to let all the immigints into our country to take our jawbs and eat our swans***.

Usually used when a poster can think of no logical answer to back up his argument.

Other meanings: Neo-Nazi, Commie, Pinko, Liberal, Tree-Hugger.

* a.k.a people who don't support pedophiles but fail to see the logic/benefits of torturing them.

** a.k.a people who believe that gay people should have the same rights as straight people.

*** a.k.a. people who don't buy into paranoid bullplop about immigrants or the E.U.

;):p

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. Obviously another Kellog's Crunchy Pinko Liberal Nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

javaboy wrote: »
    Methinks the lady doth protest too much. Obviously another Kellog's Crunchy Pinko Liberal Nazi.

Damn , you've got me all figured out! I'm off to burn my bra while giving out free socks and plasma tv's to the immigints! :p

asdasd wrote: »
    it's almost like accusing the other side of getting their opinions by just reading the red-tops, thinking this an argument, and sneering into the tofu.

Of course PC exists, although people do get it mixed up with elf n' sarfy.

I'm not saying that they get their arguments solely from tabloids, but that the term 'politically correct' is widely mis-used on After Hours.

It does exist, but not to the 'civil-rights-impeaching' extent some people believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Not wanting child killers to be boiled in oil and preferring they spend the rest of their natural lives in a small prison cell is also another example of political correctness gone mad! :mad:

Plus, it's defending the nazis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

It does exist, but not to the 'civil-rights-impeaching' extent some people believe.

True.

• Advertisement

Not wanting child killers to be boiled in oil and preferring they spend the rest of their natural lives in a small prison cell is also another example of political correctness gone mad!

true, some of those nuts make me want to reconsider my support of the death penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Gyalist wrote: »
    The funny thing is that neither of those two stories you cited as examples of political correctness are even remotely true.

My friend is a primary school teacher (and although a bit of a drama queen, so not always the most reliable source of info) but AFAIK, she has to teach nursery rhymes like baa baa black sheep, as baa baa rainbow sheep, or some other such nonsense, she can't say black sheep anyway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

My friend is a primary school teacher (and although a bit of a drama queen, so not always the most reliable source of info) but AFAIK, she has to teach nursery rhymes like baa baa black sheep, as baa baa rainbow sheep, or some other such nonsense, she can't say black sheep anyway :rolleyes:

Does black sheep become "darkly coloured wool with legs"??

coloured

taboo taboo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

people who have a problem with political correctness are usually straight white citizens who seem to be clueless about the ways political correctness has helped minorities from being poorly treated. people are, of course easily brainwashed by trashy right-wing newspapers into thinking of it as some loony left-wing idea eroding your right to speech because you cant call people retards anymore or make racially insensitive jokes - as if the world would be a much richer place if you could, political correctness is a great - if sometimes misguided - idea that promotes equality.

• Advertisement

straight white citizens who seem to be clueless about the ways political correctness has helped minorities from being poorly treated

damn those irish whites and their mistreatment of minorities - at it's apogee during the famine!

I think the use of the term "white" and "minority" there are good examples of PC's doctrinare affect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭camel toe

Something that started out as a sort of moral common sense - actually not a bad idea, eg. saying 'black person' instead of 'god-damn cotton-pickin' ******'.
    However, the whole thing got utterly out of hand in the early 90s to the point where a lot of people will say 'Afro-Carribean' or 'Afro-American' because they think it's racist to say 'black'! It gets even more ridiculous when you consider that in some parts people think it's offensive to 'blackboard' or 'black coffee'.

What began as a force for good (considering the number of people who really are racist, sexist and homophobic) has since become a laughing stock beacause of the ridiculous extremes to which certain neurotic ultra-liberals took it - cf. a person being 'vertically challenged' rather than short. This has actually undone a lot of progress made in changing bigoted attitudes (as bigot can claim any offence taken at their views is 'political correctness gone mad), whilst making people feel guilty for enjoying anything but the blandest, most anaemic humour for fear of being 'offensive'. I mean, seriously, what's funnier out of 'Friends' and 'South Park'? (Or 'The League of Gentlemen' for the benefit of any Brits out there?)

At the same time as straight white able-bodied men are going out of their way to talk about 'ethnic people' (who ISN'T ethnic!?) and those of 'different sexual orientation', there are blacks calling themselves niggas (which has been going on for years), gays calling themselves (and eachother!) poof, queens and queers, and so on - the real way to neutralize a term used as as an insult is for those to whom it was applied to use it themselves.

AT its worst, political correctness is nothing different form Orwell's Newspeak - an attempt to change the way people think by forcibly changing the way they speak. So let's have a backlash against the nannying, interefering, cotton-wool Stalinism 'ploitical correctness' has become - not to placate bigots, but to speak the truth and enjoy outrageous humour like we're meant to. Remember, the next time someone says they don't like Harry Potter because Hermione is a stereotypically sensitive girl, the relevant word to call them is '****'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah there are those ridiculous and patronising phrases - my friend says "low-sized" all the time. Ffs, it's "small"! And there are those who take great offence if e.g. someone said "the black guy is hot" when he's the only black person in a group of white people.

But I think that stuff is rare, certainly the fear of saying "black coffee" and "blackboard" - well that's obviously an American thing because that would hardly come up in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

May not be SFW due to language.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Earthhorse wrote: »
    May not be SFW due to language.

^Bloody political correctness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

turgon wrote: »
    Examples of racism??

Racism is built into Irish culture. It has gotten so deep that you might not even notice. Obviously this innate racism is directed at a) English people and even more so at b) Protestants.

But its not like (most) people go out and engage in direct racism. Its subtle. For example someone might say in jest "Damn Prody". It becomes a joke in the class: "hes a protestant". Not meant in anger, but we are just so used to seeing the protestants as bad, and the catholics as good, that now most people dont think twice.

Its the worst kind of racism to tackle, because these people dont see themselves as racist.
    Perhaps because Protestantism is a religion, NOT A RACE.
    Why can't all the organisms in the world be PC to eachother? Is that too much to ask?
    Stop being such an organismist. Crystals satisfy many of the criteria for life: they can feed, grow and reproduce. Crystal equality now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Acacia wrote: »
    For example, when I worked in a shop I wasn't a shop girl or an assistant, I was a 'retail consultant'. :confused:

That's not being PC; no one's going to be offended that they're a "cashier" instead of a "retail consultant" . . . A fancy title is just a way of making employees feel as if their job is more than what it actually is. A bit of an exaggeration, perhaps. (And a way to boost up the ol' CV. ;))
    Dudess wrote: »
    But I think that stuff is rare, certainly the fear of saying "black coffee" and "blackboard" - well that's obviously an American thing because that would hardly come up in Ireland.

If anyone put up a fuss over someone else saying that they'd like their coffee black, I would expect that they'd get a lot of odd looks and eye rolls. Even in America.
    Protestantism is a religion, NOT A RACE.

+1
    You can understand how some people might get confused. Well . . . I can't, but maybe someone can . . .

SeekUp wrote: »
    That's not being PC; no one's going to be offended that they're a "cashier" instead of a "retail consultant" . . . A fancy title is just a way of making employees feel as if their job is more than what it actually is. A bit of an exaggeration, perhaps. (And a way to boost up the ol' CV. ;))

Exactly my point. :)

Advertisement