Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political correctness

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

The kind of OTT political correctness that some people describe is far rarer than ordinary common-or-garden racism, which is ****in' everywhere in Ireland, due to our massive national inferiority complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

PC is for idiots - the kind of people who removed Benny Hill from TV. Sad tossers who want us all to think the same way and be afraid to speak out against the moral majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dudess wrote: »
    No. We don't have crap like changing "baa baa black sheep" to "baa baa rainbow sheep" or forbidding Santa Claus impersonators from shouting "ho ho ho".

We now have 'chalk boards' (instead of black boards) and the nativity crib at St.James Hospital (Dublin) was removed due to protests from non-catholics.

And in some quarters now RTE's 'Angelus' is being called 'Call to Prayer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

The whole PC thing started in the US, and as I said before, it was really something that was 'originally' confined to the college campus, as a matter of 'policy' to ensure all students felt comfortable in the learning environment.
    We've all seen people bullied in school, it's not nice, and it cant be an experience that's conducive to 'learning' for the victim.
    In that context I think it's fine, because everyone with a brain knows it's wrong to bully anyone else.

In The UK IMO it started to go crazy, because the English 'namby pambied' the whole thing in a typically British way, in an effort to be overly nice to everyone. Now you can understand that, to some degree, with their colonial legacy etc.

In Ireland unfortunately, in my experience anyway, it's a totally different animal altogether. It's abused to the hilt by groups like 'Residents Against Racism' purely to push their agenda, because they know, all they have to do, is point the finger at anyone who criticizes them, and call them a racist, and that's the opposition dealt with.

Then you also have the sancitmonious 'half cut spectacles' brigade, or the 'Pseudointellectia' who are IMO, just prudish gobsh1tes who delight in any opportunity to start clucking their tongues, and look down their noses at people. More often than not, they are the same people who will judge you, by the clothes you wear, or where you come from, without even taking 5 minutes to talk to you, or make any effort whatsoever to get to know you first.

These people do not understand Political Correctness at all, and have adopted the concept, and morphed it into a vehicle they use to patronise people. Particularlly people they consider to be below them, socially, or intellectually. These same 'self rightious' 'self obsessed' people wouldn't spit down your throat, if your back teeth were on fire. They are only interested in themselves, and are obsessed with some warped idea, about how they desperately want to be percieved by their peers.

As I said already OP, if they irritate you, just ignore them, they are Clowns, with a bad dose of piles from sitting upon their high horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The kind of OTT political correctness that some people describe is far rarer than ordinary common-or-garden racism, which is ****in' everywhere in Ireland, due to our massive national inferiority complex.
    Like what? You're not the first to say that and yet I can't think of examples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Yes and so is everywhere else, it's f*cking ridiculous. At least Australia is still holding out

To be fair, Australia has a less than fantastic record when dealing with minorities....a little political correctness would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Seriously though, what does it cost anybody to swap out a potentially offensive word with another one? So long as the intention is preserved it makes no difference to your freedom of speech, and it's just common courtesy if you know the other person might take offense.

No. We don't have crap like changing "baa baa black sheep" to "baa baa rainbow sheep" or forbidding Santa Claus impersonators from shouting "ho ho ho".

The original version of "eeny, meeny, miny, mo" was racist, but black sheep, blackboards are not as they refer to the colour of the items not their race.

Would "clár dubh" be offensive?

Would Rastaferian sheep be offended by being called "rainbow" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Seriously though, what does it cost anybody to swap out a potentially offensive word with another one? So long as the intention is preserved it makes no difference to your freedom of speech, and it's just common courtesy if you know the other person might take offense.
    It leads to obfuscation and the creeping stifling of debate. It can also promote controversial views, e.g. when politicians say "New Irish" instead of "immigrants" this is stating that (1) they see the concept of Irishness as so meaningless that a simple document can confer it; (2) immigrants lose their pre-arrival identities. I'm sure the London Irish would have loved the moniker "New English".

btw my favourite euphemism is "deaf" = "visually oriented"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Actually jill, in fairness to you, I kind of agree with you here.

Sure, I have no problem with the fact that 'Golly wog' ice creams changed the name to 'Golly bars' and that the 'einnie minni miney mo' nursery ryme is considered not exactly 'kosher' anymore. That I have no problem with, and, I believe, as I think you suggest, those decisions were rightfully dictated by common sense.

The thing that gets my back up, personally, is, that many of the people who 'nanny' us about Political Correctness, IMO, insult our intelligence by inferring that we have no understanding of common sense/mutual respect, and that we somehow need to be 'spoon-fed' this new 'clumsy & unnecessary' version of same. Having said that I fully agree with EamonnKeane (above) about the fact there is a real danger, if it gets out of control, that it will stifle intellectual and open discussion about certain sensitive issues.

I sometimes feel insulted by PC'ness tbh. I still prefer the concept of mutual respect, it still works quite well for me in my everyday life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Mairt wrote: »
    We now have 'chalk boards' (instead of black boards) and the nativity crib at St.James Hospital (Dublin) was removed due to protests from non-catholics.

In fairness do schools even use chalk anymore?

As for the church related stuff it was most likely taken down by the same type of lunatics who post on the Athiest forum.

Anyway, overly political correct people are retarded, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Being politically correct means you can ignore everything. It means you don't have to make any decisions or take any responsibility. Everyone can do what they like, irrespective of decency or good manners.

Its really pathetic. If we had to make actual decisions we'd drop the PC rubbish in a heartbeat. e.g. rather than acknowledge the trouble with mass immigration, we just cover it in the "racist" blanket and ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

We're under siege? Ready the troops! Get some archers on those walls! We'll show those murderous bastards....what's that? "Bastards" is offensive to those without fathers?
    Cursed swine! I always knew there was something not quite right about you; you must be in the service of Lord Inoffensive! Die cur!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Like what? You're not the first to say that and yet I can't think of examples.

Examples of racism??

Racism is built into Irish culture. It has gotten so deep that you might not even notice. Obviously this innate racism is directed at a) English people and even more so at b) Protestants.

But its not like (most) people go out and engage in direct racism. Its subtle. For example someone might say in jest "Damn Prody". It becomes a joke in the class: "hes a protestant". Not meant in anger, but we are just so used to seeing the protestants as bad, and the catholics as good, that now most people dont think twice.

Its the worst kind of racism to tackle, because these people dont see themselves as racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

I like the phrase "companion animal' instead of 'pet'. However, I've started calling my dog 'pet' as a postmodern statement of interspecies dialectic.

I still call a spade a spade though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Mairt wrote: »

Was not that because a lot of them being made started to be green and it would make less sense to call them blackboards when they were green. I certainly remember a shift from black to green(very dark green) over the course of my schooling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Political Correctness - we are not 'besieged' yet but increasingly we are heading that direction. Take immigration for example. I regularly bring it up here because all rational logic suggest we are heading for major problems but ultimately some middle class guy will come on and berate me for daring to raise it. Then others come on backing said guy up. Yet they dont look at either the facts or the true consequences adequately because you just dont do that. Ask people in Holland how they feel about political correctness now and they will give you abrupt and frank answers after having a politician and artist butchered for daring to raise immigration.

Is it just me or does practically every thread in AH come back to immigration at some point?
    We get it, you don't like immigration: put up or shut up but ffs chose one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Quinine wrote: »
    Is it just me or does practically every thread in AH come back to immigration at some point?
    We get it, you don't like immigration: put up or shut up but ffs chose one.

What a rather odd remark for a 3 post April 08èr.........
    darkman2 wrote: »
    Political Correctness - we are not 'besieged' yet but increasingly we are heading that direction. Take immigration for example. I regularly bring it up here because all rational logic suggest we are heading for major problems but ultimately some middle class guy will come on and berate me for daring to raise it. Then others come on backing said guy up.

Ah yes. Gotta love those people. Travellers are great and need all our help, just dont build a halt beside my house type of cnuts.

The boards PC brigade are retarded.

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    What a rather odd remark for a 3 post April 08èr.........

Because you need an account to view threads in AH, right? Oh wait...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No, not examples of racism - examples of political correctness being built into society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

it gets on my nerves somewhere else,a person who works in an office now is an "adminstrator",you dont have customers anymore you have "clients",and you dont offer services anymore you offer "solutions",talking about ego trips for ordinary people

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Fred83 wrote: »
    it gets on my nerves somewhere else,a person who works in an office now is an "adminstrator",you dont have customers anymore you have "clients",and you dont offer services anymore you offer "solutions",talking about ego trips for ordinary people

But person who works in an office is a bit of a mouthful in fairness.

"person who works in an office" = 8 syllables
    "administrator" = 5 syllables (4 if you spell it adminstrator)

"customers" = 3 syllables
    "clients" = 2 syllables

They're not PC terms, they're just timesavers/buzzwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

javaboy wrote: »
    But person who works in an office is a bit of a mouthful in fairness.

"person who works in an office" = 8 syllables
    "administrator" = 5 syllables (4 if you spell it adminstrator)

"customers" = 3 syllables
    "clients" = 2 syllables

They're not PC terms, they're just timesavers/buzzwords.

Bin man= waste disposal manager. :P

Some of the new lingo is harmless enough, with others it just seems like people are trying to make things more complicated than they actually are.

For example, when I worked in a shop I wasn't a shop girl or an assistant, I was a 'retail consultant'. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

Acacia wrote: »
    Bin man= waste disposal manager. :P

Some of the new lingo is harmless enough, with others it just seems like people are trying to make things more complicated than they actually are.

For example, when I worked in a shop I wasn't a shop girl or an assistant, I was a 'retail consultant'. :confused:

aye and some them use it as in im this and that in a company,and look down on at you :S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

It is utterly mad.

Tinkers, pakis, frogs, yanks, darkies, ruskies, non-national, gooks, japs, chinks, dames, burds, half-caste, golly-wogs, all no longer acceptable terminology. What is the world coming to? Next calling someone a cheese-eating surrender monkey will be off the cards!

It is utterly mad.

Tinkers, pakis, frogs, yanks, darkies, ruskies, non-national, gooks, japs, chinks, dames, burds, half-caste, golly-wogs, all no longer acceptable terminology. What is the world coming to? Next calling someone a cheese-eating surrender monkey will be off the cards!

You can't say "mad".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

We should ban Christmas saying it upsets Jews, Muslims etc.

That would show the pc brigade:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

It is utterly mad.

I use these daily...

OH SH-

• Advertisement

Browney7 wrote: »
    We should ban Christmas saying it upsets Jews, Muslims etc.

That would show the pc brigade:p

No no no no no! What we need is more public holidays, not less.

Christmas? Days off.
    Hannukah? More days off.
    Passover, Kwanza, Ramadan and MLK day? Days off. :D

Advertisement