Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sibling withserious alcohol problem

• 18-11-2008 4:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

i have a younger brother with a serious alcohol addiction, but if you broach the subject with him he becomes very angry, my whole family are at our wits end about how to approach him in order to let him know(because he tries to hide it) that we know he has a seriouss problem and that we love him and that we would do anything to help him.would love to hear any helpful adviceicon5.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

You should probably sit down and have a beer with him, talk it through..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Personal issues is thata way
    >

Or is it this way <

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Not the best place to post if you want serious replies mate... I suggest the PI forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Why not feed him to some hungry bears?

Why not pull down his pants and put his mickey in your mouth?

• Advertisement

Why not do a poo out of your bum and eat it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

A bit too far maybe???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

PI may have been the way to go because you wont get many intelligent or understanding answers here unless the person has been personally affected by it. Such is the risk of posting to AH.

Alcoholism is a disease and unless that is recognized by the general public and the establishment it will be very hard to treat it accordingly. For whats it worth AA is a complete waste of time because it locks the person into an alcoholic paradigm for life and puts the power to change outside the person.

But thats just my opinion and am aware that it has worked for millions. Drugs like camporal don't have a very good success rate because of the desire to drink is so much stronger than the commitment to be on medication.

A counselor who deals with alcohol addiction is probably a good step because will offer practical advice to deal with the demon drink in the here and now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Twinksno1flan

dSTAR wrote: »
    PI may have been the way to go because you wont get many intelligent or understanding answers here unless the person has been personally affected by it. Such is the risk of posting to AH.

Alcoholism is a disease and unless that is recognized by the general public and the establishment it will be very hard to treat it accordingly. For whats it worth AA is a complete waste of time because it locks the person into an alcoholic paradigm for life and puts the power to change outside the person.

But thats just my opinion and am aware that it has worked for millions. Drugs like camporal don't have a very good success rate because of the desire to drink is so much stronger than the commitment to be on medication.

A counselor who deals with alcohol addiction is probably a good step because will offer practical advice to deal with the demon drink in the here and now.

The second paragraph steams in and the the third one changes it's mind.

The only time you will get any where with this is to let him do what he is going to do anyway and maybe he will realise what is happening to him. it's a very nasty business and takes no prisoners in it's almost uniquely destuctive path. There is probably a window in his sessions where life is indeed wonderful but it's probably no more than a couple of hours in each day. He is in fact unique in this situation as he is the only one who is unaware of the problem. It's the only disease you can have that tell you it doesn't exist, the more money he has the worse it tends to be, my childhood friend died last month having aquired Millions of Euros of assets through his mothers will some years ago. For you and the rest of the family there is Al Anon or other help and for him there is what ever he wants to do with himself, the possibility of him being able to relate to his problem while listening to the advice of others is remote. Conversing with him when he's drinking is the same as talking to a stranger, even if he is somewhat familiar. He may well even tell you all the things you want to hear after a session but madness in this case is defined as repeating the same behaviour while expecting a different outcome. The time to really help is when and if he chooses to stop or seek help of his own accord. Good luck with it, it's a huge subject which I could talk about all day long but it wouldn't help you to much getting information overload. There is no such thing as a truly hopeless case even though it may present itself as such. The people who are least well equipped to help are those who are closest to the scene as they are quite often easily manipulated by the man with the problem. The true indicator is how alcohol affects him and not whether he can drink everyone under the table. Some of the worst and most violent behaviour I have seen has been after two or three drinks where a genuine madness takes over what was a reasonable human being before entering the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

dSTAR wrote: »
    For whats it worth AA is a complete waste of time...

... am aware that it has worked for millions.

Lol.

(Sorry OP, your lost, have requested your thread is moved to PI)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

mummyofds wrote: »
    i have a younger brother with a serious alcohol addiction, but if you broach the subject with him he becomes very angry, my whole family are at our wits end about how to approach him in order to let him know(because he tries to hide it) that we know he has a seriouss problem and that we love him and that we would do anything to help him.would love to hear any helpful adviceicon5.gif
    What age is he? My freind is only 20 with a serious alcohol problem.
    Does he work or the dole? Best thing is to get him out of the house if he's living there then he'll have to fend for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

there is a non drinkers thread why not try posting there

or get them of to their gp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

It might seem like there is an inherent contradiction in what I said. I just could never past the first two steps ...

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol

and

Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

According to this the power to change is outside oneself in some supernatural being. I guess some people are happy to give away their personal power. But if it works for them that is all that matters I suppose.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

lmfao @ brendansmith!

Fair play to dSTAR for actually trying to give a serious response, After Hours needs more posts like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Try replacing all of his alcoholic beverages with little statues of Joan Rivers....he'll never drink again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

¬_¬
    Take it to PI...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement