Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2014 Martin Earley Tour of Kildare

• 14-07-2014 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Anyone doing this next month ?
    Myself and a couple of the lads are entering the 110k cycle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'll be there. I've done it the last few years, always a good day.
    Beware "The Wall".

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Bad climb is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Stevo1983 wrote: »
    Bad climb is it ?

I'm told from the guys in the Naas club that I cycle with its a bitch. Short and steep, after that its flat enough course. I've dodged it on group spins thus far and will sadly be away for the tour!

Stevo1983 wrote: »
    Bad climb is it ?

little hoor

Ah sure what doesn't kill ye...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Hi all,
    just wondering are many people doing this next month? very tempted in doing it as the start is only 13km from my house.
    would I be mad for my first sportive to do the 110km route?
    seems like a nice route with some good scenery and the 65km doesnt seem very challenging.
    what would be the avg pace on the 110km and 65km route??

cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

are you getting out for spins regularly? How far do you normally go? If you've been doing regular spins up to 70/80km max then you should be alright for the 110!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Threads merged

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

are you getting out for spins regularly? How far do you normally go? If you've been doing regular spins up to 70/80km max then you should be alright for the 110!

6 days a week, got a new road bike on saturday have 160k on it so fr and todays cycle still to come :)

codrulz wrote: »
    6 days a week, got a new road bike on saturday have 160k on it so fr and todays cycle still to come :)

Ah you'll fly it! 4 weeks training to go as well. I presume you're commuting by using it 6 days a week. Only thing I'd say is rest can be as important as training sometimes!

• Advertisement

Ah you'll fly it! 4 weeks training to go as well. I presume you're commuting by using it 6 days a week. Only thing I'd say is rest can be as important as training sometimes!

hopefully I'll go for my first 100k cycle tonight to see where Im at, and continue with that if I can for the next 4 weeks.
    I don't commute or work, as Im on summer holidays I have all summer to just cycle :p
    how often do you get out for a ride?

hopefully I'll go for my first 100k cycle tonight to see where Im at, and continue with that if I can for the next 4 weeks.
    I don't commute or work, as Im on summer holidays I have all summer to just cycle :p
    how often do you get out for a ride?

I've always cycled but only really got going on longer spins this year. Set a 160km Sportif as my target for training which is this weekend. Built up by doing a 60km sportif and then a 100km one as well as regular training spins.

Try to get out for 3 spins a week. Two 30-50km and then a longer one at the weekend, which has been building in length over the past 15 weeks of training.

My longest to date is 125km, and will have taken 10 days off before this Saturday to refresh the legs and have them ready. If you are doing consistent spins that are gradually getting longer it isn't necessary to do the full distance of the sportif in training. (at least I hope so, ill let you know on Sunday ;)).

I've always cycled but only really got going on longer spins this year. Set a 160km Sportif as my target for training which is this weekend. Built up by doing a 60km sportif and then a 100km one as well as regular training spins.

Try to get out for 3 spins a week. Two 30-50km and then a longer one at the weekend, which has been building in length over the past 15 weeks of training.

My longest to date is 125km, and will have taken 10 days off before this Saturday to refresh the legs and have them ready. If you are doing consistent spins that are gradually getting longer it isn't necessary to do the full distance of the sportif in training. (at least I hope so, ill let you know on Sunday ;)).

I always thought that if you were doing a 100k sportif you'd want to be able to do say 130k... apparently not!!
    make sure to let me know :P
    what sportif are you doing??

I always thought that if you were doing a 100k sportif you'd want to be able to do say 130k... apparently not!!
    make sure to let me know :P
    what sportif are you doing??

I think it's more a case of having the miles in the legs consistently, I followed advice I had seen on the internet and here.

For the 60km, my max spin had been 50k; For the 100km, my max spin had been 80km and no issues with either, I felt strong finishing both and managed good averages.

Have a look at this - http://www.yourcyclingacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Training-Program-100K.pdf

Bear in mind on the day you will more than likely be cycling in a group for a large part of it and this saves your energy.

Westportif is the one I am doing this weekend. Really looking forward to the challenge now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 laura2006

Hi folks looking for a bit of advice on joining a cycling club would you recommend joining one?Its just me and my friend hitting the roads at the minute. We are only about 30km in so newbies really.Should we wait until we reach a certain distance to join?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

laura2006 wrote: »
    Hi folks looking for a bit of advice on joining a cycling club would you recommend joining one?Its just me and my friend hitting the roads at the minute. We are only about 30km in so newbies really.Should we wait until we reach a certain distance to join?
    Thanks

Where are you based? Naas CC have a beginners spin at a nice easy pace for about that distance on Saturdays.

TonyStark wrote: »
    Where are you based? Naas CC have a beginners spin at a nice easy pace for about that distance on Saturdays.

Yeah im in Blessington so Naas cc is my best option im gonna get in touch with them today.Are you a member yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

Yeah im in Blessington so Naas cc is my best option im gonna get in touch with them today.Are you a member yourself?

Hi Laura we have a club based in Blessington check out reservoir cogs or drop up to Tom's bike shop in Blessington for more info

if I lived in Blessington, I'd join Reservoir Cogs, just for the name.

jag con wrote: »
    Hi Laura we have a club based in Blessington check out reservoir cogs or drop up to Tom's bike shop in Blessington for more info

Great I was just up with Tom this morning ill get info off him so.Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

Great I was just up with Tom this morning ill get info off him so.Thanks

Also check out www.reservoircogs.ie

Not been on the bike in a few weeks, I'll have to get an 80k spin the weekend to get the motor running again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

OK time to put on the fast wheels as its hammer time looking forward to Sunday

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Green boards kit....

... Or pink boards kit....

Decisions..... Decisions...

Lets just hope it's not like 2 years ago...

[img][/img]https://fbcdn-photos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t1.0-0/380375_10152010692820468_1915512090_n.jpg

Good to see the signage up through naas Johnstown kill etc...
    Roll on Sunday!

I hope "The Wall" is well signposted. I would hate to miss it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Weather looking nasty for tomorrow :(
    Stong winds and heavy rain forecast.

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »

I hope yours is more accurate than other forecasts im seeing :)

Think it will be mainly dry possibility of one or two showers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

Looks like a bit of a nowcast situation, rain going to be heaviest in the east, clearing slowly in the morning,

http://www.dmi.dk/vejr/til-lands/vejrkort/

Met Eireann has an orange alert for counties including Kildare, up to 40mm of rain possible,

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

One way or the other I'll be there, if it gets really bad (I reckon it won't) I can take shelter at home, we'll be passing a couple of kms before the Wall.

Really what you don't want is a strong NorthEasterly wind, last 35km would be murder into it.

Looking forward to it now.

I will do the front for the last 35 you just worry about getting me over the wall

I will do the front for the last 35 you just worry about getting me over the wall

Deal, tow rope big stick left at the bottom of the Wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Some more specific info about start locations, where to park, where to sign up on the day would be welcome (either here or on facebook).

By trawling the Marie Keating Foundation, Google Maps and Naas CC, it seems that

- you enter Naas off the motorway, onto the Dublin road, which becomes N Main Street, which becomes S Main Street (at which stage you pass the Naas Court hotel). Turn right at Murtaghs Corner (big pub) onto New Row (R445), which becomes Limerick Road, which becomes Newbridge Road.

- you park at 9 John Devoy Road, which is a county council car park. John Devoy road is a left turn off the Newbridge Road, with a very space age wall surface on one side, and the big county council offices ahead of you (according to Google maps street view). Go past the CoCo offices and right at the roundabout, car park is then on right, just before the road stops (it's a cul de sac). Edit - a reply on Facebook says that one parks at the CoCo offices themselves. Hopefully it'll all be clear on the day.

To get to the start, go back to the Newbridge Road, turn Right (back into town, basically), and the official start is the Naas Court hotel. No idea where sign-on is, but I guess it's at the Naas Court.

If any of this is wrong, please correct me!!

• Advertisement

Sign on is at the Naas Court Hotel.
    Some information :

http://www.mariekeating.ie/tour-of-kildare-2014.asp

When (nearly) the first man you meet at sign on is wearing a skin suit you realise it's going to be a hard day..............

Great day out, serious in the front bunch up to the food stop, they snuck out while I wasn't looking so did most of the second half with my cousin, picked up a select group from the Curragh home, myself and derealbadger had a little fun up by Kilashee just to finish on a high note.

Very well organised day as usual from Naas CC, good crowd despite the weather, really enjoyed the day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

nilhg wrote: »
    myself and derealbadger had a little fun up by Kilashee just to finish on a high note.

That sounds a little odd!:D

Yeah, it was a good spin in better than expected conditions. I couldn't follow the leading 6 or 7 lads after hitting the limiter a couple of times getting over Bostoncommon. Martin Earley was in there and looking very smooth, as you would expect for a former pro. Plenty of lamb chops about crossing the Curragh - completely oblivious to the cyclists and cars passing so close to them.

Met Eamonnator again and saw a few familiar heads too. Looking forward to the Leinster Loop next weekend.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I told you so.

Yeah, we got lucky with the weather, started lashing rain maybe 40 minutes after finishing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Great day today , perfect weather , I didn't see any other boards jerseys , I was sporting the green kit , burger at the finish was very welcome .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

nilhg wrote: »
    When (nearly) the first man you meet at sign on is wearing a skin suit you realise it's going to be a hard day..............

Skinsuit for a sportive?

Raam wrote: »
    Skinsuit for a sportive?

No lie, I saw it myself.

sullzz wrote: »
    Great day today , perfect weather , I didn't see any other boards jerseys , I was sporting the green kit , burger at the finish was very welcome .

Was wearing the old grey and orange jersey with a tinkoff Saxo kit complimenting :P

Have to say it was really well done and a great day out, got lucky with the rain that god!
    Hopefully the pictures will be up soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Fair play to the organisers - a well marshalled and well organised event. Decent food stop at nearly-half-way (brack and butter sandwiches were great); another around the 90km mark...but by then you're imagining the burger 8-)

Lots of marshals on junctions made life a fair bit easier. Whatever sacrifice was made to the weather gods certainly worked - only started raining on the way home, and there's been some heavy showers since.

An amazingly flat course - certainly what runners would call a PB course - I was 6 or 7kmph up on my usual Wicklow speeds, though the availability of lots of groups was of course also a help on this front. The hardest part of the day was rolling over in bed, looking at the forecast from hell and then actually getting up!

brownian wrote: »
    An amazingly flat course - certainly what runners would call a PB course - I was 6 or 7kmph up on my usual Wicklow speeds, though the availability of lots of groups was of course also a help on this front. The hardest part of the day was rolling over in bed, looking at the forecast from hell and then actually getting up!

Way to make a fellow cyclist feel like a poor cyclist lol :eek:
    I train on those hills of allen, boston and dunmurry and find them tough enough,im getting old :(
    Didnt make it today as i feared wet roads while nursing/recovering from broken ribs,i really cant afford to take another tumble on them.
    Im hoping its dry for the Leinster Loop next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Enjoyed. Well run and weather turned good. Thanks to all involved. Had TWO burgers. Was greedy. :D

Edit. Anyone got links to photographers along the way please post.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Edit. Anyone got links to photographers along the way please post.

Many thanks to all who took part in the 2014 Edition of the Tour of Kildare with special guest Martin Earley, we hope you all enjoyed your day. Lots of photos already up on the Naas Cycling Club Facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/naascyclingclub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

First time on the bike in nearly 2 weeks yesterday. Did the 65 route and didn't feel great at times but I got round. My climbing was good so was happy with that at least. Got dropped by the group between maynooth and rathcoffey. Was pretty much on my own from then. A good day though and the weather held thank god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Green boardsie spotted in the pics on naas cc Facebook. Pic 29 of second start album, pic 124 of the hill album.

I'd link but on phone atm and it doesn't want to play nice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement