Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places (from Rathmines) to go hard on the road?

Options
  • 11-07-2014 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭

If I wanted to do a hard effort on a reasonably safe, reasonably flat and reasonably decent surface road and I had to cycle there and back from Rathmines, where would you guys suggest?

Most of the hard efforts that I do are climbs as it's easy to find a place where you can safely go all out uphill. I feel like a change of pace but I don't feel like having to stop every 2 minutes for traffic lights or have to dodge cars all the time.

The N81 is about the best that I can think of and that's not very appealing really.

Some lap of the Phoenix Park maybe?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You could head over towards Rathfarnham and up Stocking lane.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I live in Ranelagh and take the spin out to Howth every now and then - getting to the Alfie Byrne road takes a bit of time, but once you're there you can spend most of the journey out going fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

quozl wrote: »
    If I wanted to do a hard effort on a reasonably ter , reasonably flat and reasonably decent surface road and I had to cycle there and back from Rathmines, where would you guys suggest?

Most of the hard efforts that I do are climbs as it's easy to find a place where you can safely go all out uphill. I feel like a change of pace but I don't feel like having to stop every 2 minutes for traffic lights or have to dodge cars all the time.

The N81 is about the best that I can think of and that's not very appealing really.

Some lap of the Phoenix Park maybe?

The Phoenix park is ok for laps if the weather isn't too good (fills with cars full of people out 'appreciating' the weather), better to try and escape to Meath or Kildare though. THere are some nice relatively quiet roads you can get to via either Strawberry Beds http://www.strava.com/activities/159516271 or to Meath directly by taking the Castleknock exit from the Park and turning right towards Clonee on the N3 via blanch and take a right at the Clonee roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Brian? wrote: »
    You could head over towards Rathfarnham and up Stocking lane.

Thanks Brian. I do regularly but I'm trying to find somewhere good to go hard on the flat(ish). I can't do 40 kph up stocking lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

The Dublin road to Trim is great for going flat out.

Rathmines to Trim and back is about 110km - 50 of which is flat and unobstructed. You can go as fast as you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Corkagh park?

Thanks guys. I forgot all about Corkagh park, and the Trim road sounds great. I'd be happy with 10k all out. 50k would kill me and I'd probably only average about 30 kph :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Rathmines , sandymount, dunlaoighre , killiney ( short climb), bray, back n11 to
    stillorgan, ,clonskeagh, ranelagh rathmines

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Rathmines , sandymount, dunlaoighre , killiney ( short climb), bray, back n11 to
    stillorgan, ,clonskeagh, ranelagh rathmines

Is there not a lot of lights on that route? Particularly on the way back?

Thanks Brian. I do regularly but I'm trying to find somewhere good to go hard on the flat(ish). I can't do 40 kph up stocking lane.

Misunderstood you there. Why the determination to go hard on the flat?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Just for a change really. Also to see how fast I can go various distances for pure self interest.

I only ever go hard on climbs - on the flat it's always a more steady effort to get me to the next climb or just for endurance training.

I fancy trying something different :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

how about trying out Sundrive velodrome, you can go as fast as you like there!

Alternative and equally valid response: why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Is there not a lot of lights on that route? Particularly on the way back?

You want a route from Rathmines that avoids traffic lights?

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

As already mentioned, the Dublin -Trim road is a great road for cycling; good surface and almost as flat as you'll get. When you get to Trim you could turn for Summerhill then on to Kilcock. Couple of hills on that road but nothing major, you'd be up and over them in a minute, and again it's a good wide road with a good surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

If the OP can get himself out to Kilcullen (Rathcoole-Kilteel-Punchestown-Twomilehouse) then from there down to Castledermot (or even Carlow) is a road that you can really test yourself out on. Kilcullen from the motorway bridge to roundabout outside Athy and back is a nice 40km TT if you wanted to give it a go either.

Alternative and equally valid response: why not.

Aye, there was no implied criticism in my question. It was idle curiosity. Most cyclist I know, including myself, aim for the nearest hills for a challenge. I find long flat spins quite tedious.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

OP, since you've used the N81, you could easily try the Outer Ring Road that heads North from there towards Lucan.

On the map below, there is a ~5km stretch between the two circled roundabouts, with only one set of traffic lights, at the junction marked with X. You have a good chance of finding those lights green when you arrive. There are also a few sets of pedestrian lights along the way but they are very rarely used (some of them I have never seen used). It's also rarely necessary to stop at any of the roundabouts. So while it isn't a very scenic route, it's convenient and should allow you to keep going without interruption for long enough to do some proper huffin' and a puffin' :D

314300.png

Thanks everybody, the replies have been really great.

I found an ok one myself today - the R755 main road to Roundwood. It's a great surface, fairly flat and no lights. I typically avoided it to go the hillier Djouce alternative.

Thanks everybody, the replies have been really great.

I found an ok one myself today - the R755 main road to Roundwood. It's a great surface, fairly flat and no lights. I typically avoided it to go the hillier Djouce alternative.

Gucci, share the route. As a lumpen ogre I'd appreciate the occasional break from being reminded how heavy I am.

• Advertisement

Gucci, share the route. As a lumpen ogre I'd appreciate the occasional break from being reminded how heavy I am.

It might be a bit two up and down for you then while getting there. I do the up/down stepaside, enniskerry route there. The road itself was good and I'd have loved to nail it but was part of a group ride with lot of climbing ahead of me :-)

That ring road off the N81 or the trim road look like the best bets. Or Corkagh park, I've been meaning to go there for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Rathmines enniskerry roundwood laragh rathdrum rathnew either back in n11 or coast road Newcastle greystones enniskerry Rathmines. . . . Coffee/Beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Or Corkagh park, I've been meaning to go there for ages!

Corkagh Park is well worth checking out but be aware that it is booked quite often by various clubs. You can check availability here:

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/about/corkagh-pk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Daroxtar wrote: »
    As already mentioned, the Dublin -Trim road is a great road for cycling; good surface and almost as flat as you'll get. When you get to Trim you could turn for Summerhill then on to Kilcock. Couple of hills on that road but nothing major, you'd be up and over them in a minute, and again it's a good wide road with a good surface.

Could someone tell me which of these routes is best for cycling to Trim - good road and quieter the better

http://goo.gl/VqWbIc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Aye, there was no implied criticism in my question. It was idle curiosity. Most cyclist I know, including myself, aim for the nearest hills for a challenge. I find long flat spins quite tedious.

I am the complete opposite. I have a heavy bike, (he weighed in at 15.8kg on Sunday :eek:) and much rather blasting it out as fast as I can on the flat than heaving up hills. Short, less than 80k, flat, fast ones are my favorite. The sole and only reason I go near a hill is to bomb down the other side. Longer rides and hills make me really really slow and I do't like it! I would much rather 40k at 32kmph+ average than 130 at 26. I may be a bit weird though!

Quozl try Sundrive, track is great if you have need for speed. You will get addicted though. Way nicer than hilly, traffic filled roads!

Can you just show up at sundrive and rent a bike assuming no event is on?

Or to even step on the track do you need to be accredited?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I hear what the OP says about the N81 and presume the Tallaght Bypass is the problem. It can be a pain in the hole getting out that road with traffic and traffic lights but I think of it as a gateway to Wicklow. You can head up the Embankment or turn earlier up Seskin. After that the roads are great for cycling - Sally Gap, Wicklow Gap, Blessington Lakes, etc. Cupidstown Hill and all those mental hills on the Wicklow/Kildare border are great if the mood takes you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Can you just show up at sundrive and rent a bike assuming no event is on?

Or to even step on the track do you need to be accredited?

No you need to be accredited to go on track. The last one is on Saturday the 26th July at 2pm for the year.
    http://www.trackcycling.ie/?tribe_events=accreditationfinal

Get there early to sort out a bike etc. You need to be accredited to get used to the bike and learn the etiquette and rules of track riding to be safe. You then do as many of the Saturday trainings until the coaches deem you fit to race/be accredited. It's loads of fun, friendly and addictive. Sure ya may as well give it a go! :D

Advertisement