Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bryton Rider 50: a good alternative to the Garmin 800?

Options
  • 29-04-2014 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi! I hope you are enjoying the beautiful weather!
    I am looking at getting a gps cycling computer with maps, use it with a cadence sensor, hrm and eventually a power meter...

I like the garmin products and already have the Forerunner 610; which I use for running and cycling..

But I am seriously considering this Bryton Rider 50:A guy in my club has it and highly recommends it

http://corp.brytonsport.com/products/rider50?lang=eng

Do you recommend it?
    Would it be a good alternative to the Garmin 800 or even 810?

Thanks a mil!

a

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Arequipa wrote: »
    Hi! I hope you are enjoying the beautiful weather!
    I am looking at getting a gps cycling computer with maps, use it with a cadence sensor, hrm and eventually a power meter...

I like the garmin products and already have the Forerunner 610; which I use for running and cycling..

But I am seriously considering this Bryton Rider 50:A guy in my club has it and highly recommends it

http://corp.brytonsport.com/products/rider50?lang=eng

Do you recommend it?
    Would it be a good alternative to the Garmin 800 or even 810?

Thanks a mil!

a

Never heard of these before but looks like it does all the same jobs.

How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

GBP182 at Cycle Surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Yea, i wasnt sure of the exact price but they're defo cheaper than the equivalent Garmin...

A guy in my club loves his...said he had a problem with the screen fogging up, returned it and was given a new one asap...so they sound like a decent company...

They had a few teething issues, like the mac-compatible software, but they seemed to have ironed many of these out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I have one and it's fine. Feature wise it is about the same as the Garmin 800. The 810 has phone tethering and such I think which the Bryton does not. I'm pretty happy with it and I'd probably get the same again if I lost this one.

I have a couple of complaints which you might want to be aware of, but I wouldn't let them put you off. I'm sure I'd have complaints about Garmin too.

+ Initially my maps didn't work correctly. Customer service was pretty slow and Wiggle was no real help (I could have returned it but I didn't want to). After around a week they gave me software to do a factory reset and reinstall the maps to the memory card and it has worked perfectly ever since.

+ The mount is not great. The connection between the mount and the computer is very solid but the mount is held on to the bars or stem with industrial strength rubber bands. I've had one snap on me. They give you a bunch of spares but this makes me think they snap often enough. Nearly two years with only that one problem so not a major deal.

I think the battery life is better than Garmin (from what I hear). My cycle commute is around 10 hours per week and the battery generally lasts all the way through.

There is one screen that I love which I don't think the Garmin has (but I could be wrong). It shows you the height profile of your planned route and where you are on it. It also tells you how far and how much climbing to the next peak (when planning the route you need to say what you want to count as a peak). I find it nice to know whether there's still 3k of climbing to go or if I'm nearly there.

Hivemind thanks for your reply..
    At least they sorted your problem with the maps...
    I was thinking if you got an even higher spec Bryton computer for around the €300 mark (ie fir the same price as a Garmin 800) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I got the Rider 50, but I did pay extra for the bundle that had the more detailed maps. Reviews indicate that the base maps on the Bryton are better than the base maps on the Garmin but I was willing to pay the extra. As far as I know that's still the top end model, there is some information about a new one but I don't think you can actually buy it yet.

I got mine on Wiggle and it was a lot cheaper than the Garmin 800. I think you can probably get better deals on the Garmin than on the Bryton. So how much cheaper the Bryton is depends on how much shopping around for deals you do, if you get a great deal the price difference is not as much.

Hey!
    I think the latest model is the Rider 60, with 3 inch touchscreen, bluetooth connectivity etc...

The Bryton website says there are various bikeshops that act as suppliers/distributors of their products?

Could be worth a drive up north?

One thung that worries me is, if they're so good, how come many people havnt heard if them?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dots104

I have the bryton rider 35. Cant fault the yoke. Being using it for nealry 2 years now and never had any trouble with it. Its an older basic model with no maps but does the job for me. In the 2 years they have pumped alot of money into the software and their website making some great improvements along the way. Great alternative to garmin computers.

They also sponsor AG2R which im a fan off since the nico days :)

Thanks dots...

To compete with Garmin & other top brands, Bryton, really have to offer a better overall package at a competitive price....

A

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Ordered a rider 50 from bike24, spec looks good and delivered price including heart and cadence is 160.

Question for other owners, I hear they fit the garmin out front mounts. Is this true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Borderfox wrote: »
    Ordered a rider 50 from bike24, spec looks good and delivered price including heart and cadence is 160.

Question for other owners, I hear they fit the garmin out front mounts. Is this true?

€160 including delivery or £160?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yes they do. I have the Bryton 35 and have it in a SRAM out front mount. It fits 100% in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I investigated the Bryton but rejected it on the grounds that you cannot use the likesof OpenCycleMap with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Careful........German, Swiss etc maps installed with unit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I investigated the Bryton but rejected it on the grounds that you cannot use the likesof OpenCycleMap with it.

Looks like you can do it, but it is messy, see this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I have one of their GPS watches for running with. I like it but the one bad mark that I give it is that you can't upload directly to Strava with it. You have to load it onto BrytonBridge and then export the file for upload to Strava which is a PITA.

Other than that, I like the watch so if the cycling one is similar to that then it should be good IMHO.

Planet X wrote: »
    Careful........German, Swiss etc maps installed with unit.

Doesn't matter too much, haven't gotten lost yet :)

Advertisement