Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which front derailleur replacement?

Options
  • 15-07-2014 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Someone please help. I need to replace the front derailleur on my Trek 1.1, its very basic group set and I don't need an upgrade as such, just a solid replacement. I think its a 2600 group set, 8 speed. I have snooped around Wiggle and there are conflicting statements on whether a 105 10speed FD will work. Clubmate (thanks Pinch) said there should be no problem with a 105, but I don't want to order it to find out its not suitable and have all that hassle of returning it. Any experts out there care to guide me? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

A 10 speed front mech will be too narrow it will be hard to adjust to a position where there is not rubbing in the more extreme gears.

You do not need to spend that much I have replaced a 2300 front mech with one of these before with no trouble at all

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-sora-3500-double-9sp-front-mech/rp-prod85504

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

10 speed should work ok, but I think a potential issue you might encounter would be in limited trimming ability/chain angle. Specifically, the 10 speed derailleur itself may be narrower than the 8 speed equivalent, and the wider 8 speed chain may tend to rub more on the derailleur as you deviate from a straight chainline. I recently upgraded from 8 speed sora to 105 and never checked this, but still have the old parts at home so can have a look and compare this evening if that's any help?

Of course if this is a concern then obviously a 9 speed derailleur would be bit less prone to the issue, as it should be somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Thank you both for the replies, the CRC link provided I think is the one to go for as it offers the quiet(er) spin :-)

Advertisement