Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continuing BTEA during summer internship?

Options
  • 27-04-2015 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm doing an internship related to my course for the summer which is paid, although not a large amount. From what I've gotten out in the mail there's a provision that I can continue getting BTEA while doing this internship as long as it's integral to the course. It says nothing about whether the intership pays anything.
    Does anyone know what the story is in this regard? I will be in to the welfare office in person soon but thought I would ask here, out of curiousity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

It will depend on the length of the placement. I 'am currently doing one as part of my course, but the "academic" part finished the end of may. I will receive BTEA until this part is finished - but if I stay on I will not as the academic part is finished. If academic part of the placement was for the whole summer then I would have continued to receive BTEA for the duration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

What is the academic part? I mean, the placement is worth X amount of credits and so is contributing toward my degree.I would consider that to be integral but this is all new to me..

What is the academic part? I mean, the placement is worth X amount of credits and so is contributing toward my degree.I would consider that to be integral but this is all new to me..

How long is your placement to be - is it for the full summer, or a certain number of weeks. Generally these placements are for a set number of weeks - generally stated in the module descriptor, and for those weeks you will be entitled to BTEA - outside that you may not be.

For example I am currently doing a placement for my current course, and have been offered a position until the end of August. However, as the academic module is only fifteen weeks (ending the end of may) I will only receive BTEA until that time, and after that nothing as I will be working and as such not eligible for SW for the summer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

How long is your placement to be - is ot for the full summer, or a certain number of weeks. Generally these placements are for a set number of weeks - generally stated in the module descriptor, and for those weeks you will be entitled to BTEA - outside that you may not be.

It's for a set number of weeks. My other question would be - if I have some funding for the placement then is that a factor in qualifying? I did not know that I had the chance to continue BTEA while on placement until this morning. It would be a great help if I did.

It's for a set number of weeks. My other question would be - if I have some funding for the placement then is that a factor in qualifying? I did not know that I had the chance to continue BTEA while on placement until this morning. It would be a great help if I did.

You will keep your BTEA for the weeks that you are required to be on the placement, outside that normal SW rules apply I believe - however, I would check this with the BTEA office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭shawki

I'm in 2nd year, going on work placement in July. I need to send in my BTEA form. The Admissions office in college refused to give me a letter stating the dates of my work placement. They said they could only give me a letter stating the official academic year. Anybody else have a issue getting this letter from their college?

shawki wrote: »
    I'm in 2nd year, going on work placement in July. I need to send in my BTEA form. The Admissions office in college refused to give me a letter stating the dates of my work placement. They said they could only give me a letter stating the official academic year. Anybody else have a issue getting this letter from their college?

No - my college does the work placement as a full semester during the academic year so it does not face this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭spudnick

What course was this in? My course has an work placement option which I'm starting soon for 30 credits its a paid placment. Will I get to keep beta during the college semester to?

spudnick wrote: »
    What course was this in? My course has an work placement option which I'm starting soon for 30 credits its a paid placment. Will I get to keep beta during the college semester to?

Mine was in a Level 8 Honours Degree with DIT. Mine was a paid placement for the entire Semester Two of third year and as I was on BTEA and it was part of the academic year I kept my BTEA for the duration of the placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭spudnick

Mine was in a Level 8 Honours Degree with DIT. Mine was a paid placement for the entire Semester Two of third year and as I was on BTEA and it was part of the academic year I kept my BTEA for the duration of the placement.

Okay yeah I'm in dit also L8. But the internship module is optional. Was this same case for you?
    Thanks tis great to have all the info before you go In to them

• Advertisement

spudnick wrote: »
    Okay yeah I'm in dit also L8. But the internship module is optional. Was this same case for you?
    Thanks tis great to have all the info before you go In to them

Mine wasnt optional - but it was still part of the academic year so counted. Thats the key part - academic year.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Hi @BonkeyDonkey.
    Wouldn't it be means assessed as it is based on jobseeker allowance probably?
    Thanks!

Advertisement