Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wells House - Anyone Been?

Options
  • 03-08-2012 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

VicWatson

Yes, was there on the opening day along with hundreds of other cars. The charge is 6 euros per car entrance fee and I think it costs more to get a tour of the house. Definitely worth a look if you're interested in local history as the house is unique in style in Wexford with that mock-Tudor look. The back of the house is particularly impressive, I thought.

There's also a coffee-shop there but I didn't try it on the day as it was mobbed. I have a family connection with the Doynes who originally owned Wells House as my mother's family were originally tenants on their lands around Tullow and I'm pretty sure they were evicted after the Battle of Carlow in 1798, as many of the participants' families were.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Nice info Missent. Tell us more here on the Wexford thread sil vous plait.

I think it's €5.00 per adult for the tour of the house.

The cafe menu looked decent enough, from what I recall it was €4.50 for soup and bread, €8.00 for soup and sandwich. They had pork pies and salad for something like €5.50

Not overly priced I think.

A very good value afternoon out for €6.00 (pay on way in - only 2 and 1 euro coins accepted) if you bring a picnic and stroll the grounds.

I say well done to the current owners that have attempted small business (with the help of 6 authorities I might add) in this climate.

And, an important thing for me, was that the people I saw walking dogs had kept them on a lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

The entrance fee was quite high IMO, so it would certainly put me off going a 2nd time .

The day itself was grand. It's a nice place and the kids enjoyed it.

Also the cup cakes they sell in the cafe are super!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

R.F. wrote: »
    The entrance fee was quite high IMO, so it would certainly put me off going a 2nd time .

The day itself was grand. It's a nice place and the kids enjoyed it.

Also the cup cakes they sell in the cafe are super!

€6 per car load how is that to much. There is a brand new kids play ground and woods to explore and lots to do and see. If you have 2 adults and 2 kids its €1.50 each do people want everything for free who is going to pay for the up keep of these places

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

VicWatson

The Doynes were granted 3,200 acres during the early 18th century in Co. Carlow and their principal residence was St. Austin's Abbey just outside Tullow on the right-hand side as you come in from the Wexford direction. The house was burnt during the War of Independence in 1922.

During the 1798 Rebellion, you can imagine the men from these estates joining the rebels as they marched to Carlow from Bunclody. However, the battle of Carlow turned out to be a blood-bath from the rebels' point of view. After the battle, it is well-documented that the Doynes evicted the families of those who had participated in the battle. In his book on the Carlow Gentry, Jimmy O'Toole puts the number at 28 families who were left on the side of the road after their husbands or sons failed to return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

I know its nearly 3 years on but what is Wells House like now? Worth a visit? What kids ages groups are catered for would you think?

http://www.wellshouse.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I know its nearly 3 years on but what is Wells House like now? Worth a visit? What kids ages groups are catered for would you think?

http://www.wellshouse.ie/

They have an Easter thing on for families afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

zerks wrote: »
    They have an Easter thing on for families afaik.

Yep. Lots of kids events over Easter! I think there's a puppet show and an Easter egg hunt.

There always seems to be something going on at Wells. I think they tend to have an event every month or so. I'm definitely heading to the Pride and Prejudice play in July! :-) :-)

Its 8 euro on the gate now, not 6 . Although to be honest they have lots of new stuff added so I think it's still good value. The kids loved the animal sanctuary! one good thing is that they have got rid of the annoying coin machine at the gate, you can get your exit token in the cafe so you don't have to fumble around for the right change on the way in

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ccdust

We live nearby so we go every so often.

There are a few things I don't like about it, there is a zipline in the playground but sometimes they take it down for some reason and then the kids are disappointed.

Many locals weren't happy with the price increase to €8, it's the locals who sustain the place after peak periods.

Also I know some people who would like to go down in the morning for a coffee or bring their elderly relations down for a cake in the cafe but don't want to make use of the rest of the facilities and it's €8 per car before you even order a cup of tea, also on a wet day very few people would be going for walks, using the playground etc but the €8 charge still stands.
    Again it's the same with the archery, it's €15 per person to do the archery course but you have to pay the €8 charge on top of that.

I've found at times the staff can be a bit rude.

Pros are:

- The zipline (when it's there)
    - The animal rescue (I believe they have to pay rent to Wells house so please donate to their collection bucket)
    - Lovely spot for photographs
    - Regular events
    - Reasonable price (for non-regulars)
    - Woodland walk

Advertisement