Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the nicest place to live in Co. Wexford?

Options
  • 26-03-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,
    I'm new to boards .ie but am hoping for some useful guidance from people who live in the area, or are familiar with the area.
    We (husband, myself and 13 year old son) live in Scotland, however my hubby who is Irish, would like to return home and the idea is to self build.
    I have spent the last 7 or 8 months searching daftie.ie for plots and must have covered half of the country on google street view.
    Before we come over to view some plots, I really have to short list the best areas to look at. That is proving really difficult, as the only ones who know the best areas are 'the people on the ground'. So we really would appreciate some help and any info you may have.
    It doesn't have to be Co. Wexford, if anyone has any input on other Counties that would be great!!! Anywhere on the outskirts of a town or near to shops(grocery and eating places) but with a feel good factor to it.
    Many Thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

I would recommend Borris Co Carlow .

- 18 miles from New Ross - 18 miles from Carlow town - 18 miles from Kilkenny - 18 miles from Enniscorthy .

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Curracloe. About 7 miles from wexford, 12 from Enniscorthy, handy for the coast road to Gorey and points north adn best of all a spectacular beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Perhaps around Castletown in north Wexford. Lovely beaches, close to Arklow, Gorey and the M11 to Dublin. Secondary schools in Arklow and Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

A couple of the examples above probably aren't that handy for towns. I'd recommend just past the ring road of Wexford town. Plots of lands would be quite hard to find inside the ring road but not impossible, if you're searching daft you could try areas like Clonard or Ferrycarraig. Outside of the ring road is still very accessible to town and would have a school bus for the area, places like Murrintown, Piercestown and Barntown. You could try e-mail local auctioneers in the area and let them know exactly what you're thinking of and I'd say they would forward anything of relevance to you. Here is a list of them:

http://www.wexfordweb.com/property.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Layla Lou

Thanks to 'laughter 189', 'Bearhunter', 'bmaxi' and 'David 900'.
    I will look into all of the places mentioned, all are areas I haven't looked at yet. Cheers!!!

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Does anyone have input into these areas, I had earmarked some plots that may be of interest. You guys may have usefull stuff to say on them(good and bad).
    1. Tomanine, Rathnure.
    2. Rathfylane, Enniscorthy.
    3. Grovemill, Hollyfort.
    4. Lowlough, Oulart.
    All are in the Co. Wexford area.
    Thanks again.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There's a lot of sites around Enniscorthy for a fraction of the price they used to be,many of the areas you mentioned in your list are rural areas and well away from the outskirts of town.
    Some nice places there but be prepared to drive everywhere.Another tip if you decide to come over to view sites-If you happen to see a potential one while driving around it can be a good idea to meet the landowner and make an offer.The way the market is now any decent offer would be hard to turn down.

Try daft.ie to see what's on offer and use it as a price guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Layla Lou wrote: »
    Hi,
    Does anyone have input into these areas, I had earmarked some plots that may be of interest. You guys may have usefull stuff to say on them(good and bad).
    1. Tomanine, Rathnure.

im not a million miles from there and the the whole area is generally nice. its handy for schools, theres a primary school in rathnure and you have a choice between new ross, enniscorthy or bunclody for secondary.

as for shops, enniscorthy or new ross are 15 mins away roughly but theres small shops in rathnure and ballywilliam too.

That sounds promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Austin1

Hi,
    1. Tomanine, Rathnure.
    2. Rathfylane, Enniscorthy.
    3. Grovemill, Hollyfort.
    4. Lowlough, Oulart.
    All are in the Co. Wexford area.
    Thanks again.:confused:

Hi

I'm working in Wexford for a couple of months and I'm staying in my parents holiday home in Oulart. This is a fantastic little village with 2 pubs, a chipper, Post Office, Garda station and well stocked convenience store. (See how I listed those amenities in order of importance??)

One thing I'd say about Oulart is that you definitely need a car. Its a 15min drive to Enniscorthy, 25min drive to Wexford town, 10min drive to the beautiful Morriscastle Beach in Kilmuckridge and about 80min drive to Dublin.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you want any more specific details.

Austin

Austin

• Advertisement

Anyone able to advise on 'reliable, good, reasonably priced,trust worthy' builders in the Wexford area, with experience of complete house builds. Obviously being from Scotland, references and meeting with previous clients and seeing completed homes will be very important. However finding a builder is proving tricky as we only have google to rely on for the time being (which makes us uneasy) Any tips would be most welcome.:)

Nice to see you have your priorities sorted, Austin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Tomanine Rathnure is a very rural and not on the outskirts of any town.

Borris Co Carlow is 15 miles away - at the other side of the Blackstairs Mountains .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tomanine Rathnure is a very rural and not on the outskirts of any town.

Borris Co Carlow is 15 miles away - at the other side of the Blackstairs Mountains .

+1 Rathnure is really rural and as the op stated they want something on the outskirts of a town.I'm biased towards Enniscorthy as it is centrally located in the county.

Here's a link that will be handy http://www.myhome.ie/wexford

Thanks, 'Zerks' !
    I went on google maps to look at Borris, Co. Carlow. It looks lovely, so one for the short list. Thanks' laughter 189'

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jbloggs18

Hi

Have looked at Daft for houses around Wexford county. We're fairly open to anywhere, price being the main consideration. With that in mind would there be any areas that we should avoid if possible? Have seen a couple of nice houses in Taghmon, Clonroche and a few others, but friends have said we should avoid them.

So it started me thinking, rather than knowing the nice places, maybe there would be a shorter list of places to avoid, as that would be more helpful for our situation.

Thanks for any suggestions. Reasons why would be helpful. PM if you prefer.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

Would also say avoid taghmon, nothing particularly good about it.
    And as for its downsides, well theres no politically correct way of putting it so i'l just say it best to avoid the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

jbloggs18 wrote: »
    Hi
    Have looked at Daft for houses around Wexford county. We're fairly open to anywhere, price being the main consideration. With that in mind would there be any areas that we should avoid if possible? Have seen a couple of nice houses in Taghmon, Clonroche and a few others, but friends have said we should avoid them.

don't listen to your friends, the scenery is lovely boss.

1428095d1308196607-my-big-fat-gypsy-wedding-on-tlc-irish-travellers.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

If you are planning to build then I would advise that you look for a site with full planning permission. Chances are because you are not from the area you wont be able to simply buy a site somewhere and start building. Most of the time you need to be from the area (within a certain distance of the site, or from the parish) or have some connection to the area to get planning permission.

I always thought if I wanted to build somewhere I could get a site then apply for planning and get it passed then start building but was informed by the Planning Department that this is often not the case as I have no connection to the areas I was enquiring about.

donalg1 wrote: »
    If you are planning to build then I would advise that you look for a site with full planning permission. Chances are because you are not from the area you wont be able to simply buy a site somewhere and start building. Most of the time you need to be from the area (within a certain distance of the site, or from the parish) or have some connection to the area to get planning permission.

I always thought if I wanted to build somewhere I could get a site then apply for planning and get it passed then start building but was informed by the Planning Department that this is often not the case as I have no connection to the areas I was enquiring about.
    Thanks very much for the advice. How local do you have to be to get permission for building on a site? ie from the village itself or is it okay to be from further afield but still within the county?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Hi,
    I'm new to boards .ie but am hoping for some useful guidance from people who live in the area, or are familiar with the area.
    We (husband, myself and 13 year old son) live in Scotland, however my hubby who is Irish, would like to return home and the idea is to self build.
    I have spent the last 7 or 8 months searching daftie.ie for plots and must have covered half of the country on google street view.
    Before we come over to view some plots, I really have to short list the best areas to look at. That is proving really difficult, as the only ones who know the best areas are 'the people on the ground'. So we really would appreciate some help and any info you may have.
    It doesn't have to be Co. Wexford, if anyone has any input on other Counties that would be great!!! Anywhere on the outskirts of a town or near to shops(grocery and eating places) but with a feel good factor to it.
    Many Thanks.:)
    i spend a lot of time on holiday in wexford/wicklow.its beautiful no wonder its called the garden of ireland, areas i love gorey,carlow but the village i would buy a house in ,if i could afford to, would be shillelagh,the natives are friendly

Thanks very much for the advice. How local do you have to be to get permission for building on a site? ie from the village itself or is it okay to be from further afield but still within the county?

Pretty sure its from within the area as in five to ten miles away, maybe the parish would do or townland, but say for instance you are from Rosslare you wouldnt be considered local in Tagoat I would imagine. And Rosslare to Tagoat isnt that far apart a few miles only.

Pretty sure its from within the area as in five to ten miles away, maybe the parish would do or townland, but say for instance you are from Rosslare you wouldnt be considered local in Tagoat I would imagine. And Rosslare to Tagoat isnt that far apart a few miles only.
    Ah! Okay, I see. One would have to be from the immediate area. Thanks a bunch. I guess that means we have to rule that one out :-(

Ah! Okay, I see. One would have to be from the immediate area. Thanks a bunch. I guess that means we have to rule that one out :-(

I think it is dependant on how the land is zoned in each area, so there could be some areas that you would be able to build in and others that you couldnt. Also, I dont know if you were to rent in an area for x number of years could you then build as you would be deemed to be resident long enough, you should give the planning department a shout and they could tell you more, they may even tell you what areas you could build in if any which would help narrow the search.

I think it is dependant on how the land is zoned in each area, so there could be some areas that you would be able to build in and others that you couldnt. Also, I dont know if you were to rent in an area for x number of years could you then build as you would be deemed to be resident long enough, you should give the planning department a shout and they could tell you more, they may even tell you what areas you could build in if any which would help narrow the search.
    That's a good idea to ask the Planning Dept which areas would be acceptable. At the moment its a toss up between whether to buy something and renovate or buy a site and build from scratch.

Anyone able to advise on 'reliable, good, reasonably priced,trust worthy' builders in the Wexford area, with experience of complete house builds. Obviously being from Scotland, references and meeting with previous clients and seeing completed homes will be very important. However finding a builder is proving tricky as we only have google to rely on for the time being (which makes us uneasy) Any tips would be most welcome.:)

There is one guy who is very good who has done some excellent work in the area. Lives out in Crossabeg (killurin side). Can get his details if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

You are far better off buying a house already built that you can improve .Sites are still quite expensive ,where as houses in rural areas a few miles from a town can be had at very cheap prices .
    I would look around Gorey north Wexford with easy access to Dublin if needed .

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

anto9 wrote: »
    You are far better off buying a house already built that you can improve .Sites are still quite expensive ,where as houses in rural areas a few miles from a town can be had at very cheap prices .
    I would look around Gorey north Wexford with easy access to Dublin if needed .

I agree with your post 100%.Sites are far too expensive ,and there are some lovely already built places out there with established gardens at near rock bottom prices .
    As an asside ,I bought a lovely bungalow myself with a half acre garden ,just within Wexford town ring road .When it came to selling i had severe problems with neighbours who were of the Irish roaming tribe ,and whose name can not be mentioed .(its there culture to be kunts mate ).
    P.S,This is an old thread but maybe still revelant to some .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

You're quoting and replying to yourself...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You're quoting and replying to yourself...:confused:

Thats made me lol

Advertisement