Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding attire

Options
  • 23-07-2007 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

I may be accompanying a male friend to the wedding of a friend of his in a few weeks. I have only ever been to family weddings, and I have no clue of what the appropriate style would be! My own style is casual/dressy/comfy/combats type stuff and although I wear dresses occasionally with heels, I would have to be comfy in them. I'm just wondering what style others' would wear especially to a wedding where you won't know anyone at all? From what I hear, there is a lot of competitiveness between women regarding fashion at weddings?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

You need to look smart,go with black as it is easy to pick up most items on any shopping trip,Debenhams is quite good for formal wear,try Falke tights from Brown Thomas and Clarke's for comfy smart shoes.
    Below is quite a good example...

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭rusalka

You need to look smart,go with black

Hmmm....I wouldn't ever advise anyone to wear black to a wedding. At least not unless you're going to team it with a cerise or royal blue (or any strong colour!) wrap and accessories or something. I know it's become a lot more common, but it's still hugely inappropriate in many circles, and certainly amongst the older set, who can be staunch traditionalists.

I remember overhearing a catty comment in the ladies at a wedding recently where a woman in an elegant black dress was (very rudely, imho) asked "Who died?" by another "lady".

Also, the only thing which my brother-in-law stipulated by word-of-mouth prior to his wedding, was that they would prefer if no-one wore black, so it's definitely still a bit taboo (unfortunately, as I love black, and wear it a lot at other social occasions).

OP, I wouldn't chance the disapproving looks, and would personally steer clear. I wear jeans/trousers about 80% of the time, but I always, wear dresses or skirts to weddings, with heels - I guess it's the norm for most people (any excuse for a gúna nua!). If it's in a church, I would always wear hosiery and cover my shoulders. Apart from that, anything goes for me really. I love strong, vivid colours like cerise, burnt orange, royal blue, etc. but that's what suits me.

A dress and heels sound great - you can dress them up so easily with pretty millinery and some pretty jewellery - there's great pieces of either all over the 'Net!

Oh, obviously I wouldn't wear white, either - I think you'd want to be a complete moron to wear a white dress to a wedding (unless you're gonna do the thing with the colourful accessories - a sash ribbon/wrap/whatever) ......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Definitely go with a dress or a dressy skirt and top - with heels.
    Wear a wrap over the dress as the weather in Ireland is so unpredictable, and will take those goosebumps away.
    And don't wear a white outfit - big no no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 goldielocks05

:) you can never go wrong with a gorg halter neck top and skirt/ trousers... keeps the boobs in.:eek: .. a nice pencil skirt with semi high sandles bit of tan and away you go... trousers are optional too if yr not comfy in a skirt.. river island have a lovely selection at the moment.... even in summer dresses...but can't beat miss selfridge either..

Advertisement