Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*Possible* free pint of Orchard Thieves cider (Will find out May 1st)

• 27-04-2015 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭

I saw the #bebold ads on Republic of Telly messing with the Halo and Meteor adverts which lead me to search twitter for these guys @OrchardThieves.

So I scrolled down the home page and it says 'Thieve a pint' and when you click on it it says you have to wait till May 1st to enter The Den and be rewarded.

I'm not a cider drinker but I'm sure some BA'ers are. Drink responsibly guys. Go easy on that pint. :) I'm sure it's an info collecting exercise which Guinness have done well on. FTR, I have nothing to do with company.

https://orchardthievescider.ie/

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Curious to find out about this cider - it's actually Heineken Ireland that are releasing it:

http://www.businessandleadership.com/marketing/item/50429-heineken-ireland-reveals-na

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

marvin80 wrote: »
    Curious to find out about this cider - it's actually Heineken Ireland that are releasing it:

http://www.businessandleadership.com/marketing/item/50429-heineken-ireland-reveals-na

Had it in The Portobello the other week. Not bad. Not bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Had one at the weekend on draught. Found it to to be sickly sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Tesco are doing 8 cans for 12 eurobucks.

I'm a big cider drinker so I said I'd try it out. It is absolutely awful. Possibly the sweetest cider I have ever tasted. While it doesnt have that digusting after taste of sour chemicals Bulmers has it really is very poor.

In order to wash out the taste of it I had a couple of cans of Aldi's Cullens Irish Cider - this was an improvement but its not going to get into anyone's top 10 drinks.

A sad day when St. Etienne Cider was discontinued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

marvin80 wrote: »

Yeah it's Heineken trying to get in on the craft market. They did the same with an ale called Cute Hoor and another called Red Road. Both piss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

It tastes like Cidona, too sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Yeah it's Heineken trying to get in on the craft market. They did the same with an ale called Cute Hoor and another called Red Road. Both piss

Didn't know Cute Hoor was Heineken too - but I also found it to be pure muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Too sweet had a couple in Whelans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Yeah they are bein cute hoors trying to get a slice of the craft market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I quite liked the Cute Hoor, though wasn't impressed when I found out it was Heineken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Drew P. Wiener

Tastes like they've melted a load of those sour apple belt jellys

Tastes like they've melted a load of those sour apple belt jellys

Bingo. It tastes exactly like Apple Drops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I used to drink Bulmers a lot but the slightly sour aftertaste has kinda put me off in more recent times. What would people advise as a decent alternative that's not sickly sweet either?

Tried this one the other day too and wasn't impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Tried this the other day. I'd say it's quite similar to kopparberg in flavour. Very sweet as cider goes.

The cider I enjoy the most is the Stella Artois cidre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

So how do I get my free pint then?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I used to drink Bulmers a lot but the slightly sour aftertaste has kinda put me off in more recent times. What would people advise as a decent alternative that's not sickly sweet either?

Tried this one the other day too and wasn't impressed.

Cidre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

sugarman wrote: »
    Did you not even read the op?

I did yes, and.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

seagull wrote: »
    Tried this the other day. I'd say it's quite similar to kopparberg in flavour. Very sweet as cider goes.

The cider I enjoy the most is the Stella Artois cidre.

stonewells is the nicest cider on the market at the moment imo

its pricey but totally worth it
    the medium dry is unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I've tried it. I had one sip and found it to be too sweet and sugary. Synthetic, even.

Yup I'll drink it for free, but I'm not paying anything.

(I drink lots of stuff, so know what I'm talking about.)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paddy The Pirate

Had a pint of the stuff last week, far sweeter than Kopparberg, etc. I was really disappointed with it actually. Definitely the most sickly sweet cider I've ever tasted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

havent tried it but sounds like they have modelled it on Angry Orchard from the Boston Beer Company , its the biggest seller in the US and shows an opening for quality ciders.
    Although the angry orchard is sickenly sweet it has a moorish afterbite that saves it , suppose this appeals to a mass market.
    If any of you have a wetherspoons opening nearby they have a great selection of ciders.
    The tap ones arent "cider" but a syrup however they are more drinkable than bulmers or strongbow. Thatchers and Stowfords Press.
    They do sell some excellent bottled ciders and box ciders and well worth looking into.

In the north we have some Armagh Ciders that are worth sampling , McIvors, Maddens , Carsons they will be bottled under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Orpens is the nicest cider in my opinion. Bit expensive but nice for a treat!

I find that Orchard Thieves a bit sweet too but the aftertaste isn't too bad then. It's a bit confusing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Thanks OP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Orchard Thieves was a NZ company and it was part of the Monteiths brand, since brought by DB Breweries - NZs largest brewery. There six or so different flavours, including peach passion, raspberry and vanilla, mandarin lime etc. Heineken brought DB Breweries, and that's how they got their hands on orchard thieves.

I tried it all last year when I was in NZ. It's targeted at the sweeter end of the market, and I like it. I can't stand the taste of beer or wine, so it's nice to have something other than spirits. Im not a fan of magners - too sweet - but like rekorderlig and some of the also ciders (lemon and ginger).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Any list of pubs I can redeem this in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭vickers209

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jim Doyles in Bray is doing it, perfect thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭cletus

MOH wrote: »
    I quite liked the Cute Hoor, though wasn't impressed when I found out it was Heineken.

How does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

cletus wrote: »
    How does that work?

Very well, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Had a pint of the stuff last week, far sweeter than Kopparberg, etc. I was really disappointed with it actually. Definitely the most sickly sweet cider I've ever tasted!

Got a pint yesterday and have to agree , far too sweet . Glad it was free though ;).

Thanks OP..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Theres a Girl drinks in my local, says she's 'really fond of a good Dickens cider', but I can't find anywhere that sells it. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Theres a Girl drinks in my local, says she's 'really fond of a good Dickens cider', but I can't find anywhere that sells it. :confused:

I think I know a relation of hers, went by the nickname of snow white. Loved seven up'n cider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Too sweet even for me, and I ordinarily prefer sweet to dry ciders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sublimemike

Orchard Thieves actually tastes like fat frog ice pops.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

What pubs actually partake? I have been to 3 from their list and none of em do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Was in the Orchard in Swords and we got two free points plus there is a game on the website which gave us another free pint to be redeemed later. I didn't like it at all much too sweet for me but herself whose regular drink is Cidre liked it, she did say it wasn't as nice as cidre but being free made it more palatable :D

If you see a poster in the pub with a five digit code on it, then yes the do give out free pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Far too sweet. It's like Kopparberg which a heap of sugar thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Is this similar to Somersby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

MJ434 wrote: »
    Is this similar to Somersby?
    I would say its a fair bit sweeter...not mad into it.

We need more aspalls here and more places need to start selling Orpens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭asharkman

This is actually live at the minute, go to denofthieves.ie register and boom free pint. In river bar atm and they accept the offer. There are some games too if you want more free pints.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I quite like the taste, but holy crap it gives you one hell of a hangover.

Advertisement