Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Juddering When Idle

Options
  • 29-03-2015 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Renault Megane 02. 145k on the clock.

Just today the car has started to judder very noticeably when in neutral. The gear stick also shakes. Difficulty when changing gears, car lacks power, judders when driving in 5th, but not as bad when in 4th or 3rd.

When idling, if I apply the accelerator, the juddering stops.

Car seems very laboured and not hitting full speed when in 5th.

Seems like it could cut out at any time.

Any ideas? Anything I could do myself or garage job? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If that's a petrol car, it's likely that one or more of your plug coils is gone. Easy job to do yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Thanks Brian. It's petrol. I'll have a look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

As far as I know these have individual coils - one on top of each plug.
    The coils often fail giving just the kind of symptoms you have and sometimes the engine management light comes on .
    You can buy a coil from a motor factor .
    Disconnect the 2 wires from the coil and then loosen the small bolt attaching coil to head ( usuallu 10mm).
    There is no easy way of knowing which coil has failed so its a matter of trial and error - start at one end of the engine and when you change the 'failed' one you will know as car will run better .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lr6teZ1S_U

Spot on Brian, this is what's happening under the bonnet. Thanks.

I'm not planning on driving the car until its fixed. But interested, would this cause damage to the car if driven in current state? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Afaik if you disconnect the fuel injector of the cylinder with the coil that's gone it should be ok. Otherwise it is sending unburnt fuel into the exhaust and it could burn out the catalytic converter.

Sending unburnt fuel out the exhaust would not be good for the cat obviously - and knowing which injector to disconnect could be tricky.
    Having said that I have seen cars being driven around for up to 2 weeks in this condition and the cat didn't seem to suffer any ill effects:confused:.
    Not to be recommended however.

Sorted Plug coils. Thanks folks : )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

dooroy wrote: »
    Sending unburnt fuel out the exhaust would not be good for the cat obviously - and knowing which injector to disconnect could be tricky.
    Having said that I have seen cars being driven around for up to 2 weeks in this condition and the cat didn't seem to suffer any ill effects:confused:.
    Not to be recommended however.

Once the ECU detects the misfire on the affected cylinder it will shut off the fuel supply to that cylinder, hence no cat damage.

Thanks for that explanation George :)- explains no cat damage .
    As they say " you learn something new every day. "

• Advertisement
Advertisement