Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSF

Options
  • 23-07-2013 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭

I am seriously considering ditching Laya in favour of this type of cover after another hike in the annual premium. Has anyone else done similar ? Would like to hear first hand how easy it is to claim back and so on ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭LostArt

It's very easy to claim back on, but you should be aware that you do not have hospital cover on these cash plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

LostArt wrote: »
    It's very easy to claim back on, but you should be aware that you do not have hospital cover on these cash plans.

yes you do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

There is a fixed payment for any night spent hospitalised, for up to something like 14 nights in a year. Our son spent a couple of nights and the payment we received exceeded the hospital fee.

The most important thing is to submit claims as soon as you have them rather then letting a bundle of receipts build up. This is because they apply their limits based on submissions in a rolling twelve-month period, and not on a calendar year. For example, I think you're limited to 10 GP claims in a year. If you submit 10 receipts today (April) all dated back to last October, then you cannot claim any more until next April, not next October.
    I find it a very good scheme for things like physio, dentistry etc. as they pay the full amount of each receipt, so if you think you could do with seeing them, just do it and claim, it won't cost you anything extra. Also, the maternity grants are great if you're just starting a family.

If you're generally healthy, it's great for covering your day-to-day spending, and tends to encourage you to look after yourself better than you might without it. If you have to have surgery you're at the mercy of the public system. However, there is some provision for consultancy so in some cases you can use that towards the cost of seeing a private consultant, to at least get a diagnosis. That can be a big part of the delay in the public system.

guile4582 wrote: »
    yes you do

No you don't. You might get some money back for a hospital stay but with the Lifetime Community Rating rules these plans do not count as inpatient private health insurance plans.

You do get hospital cover. you are correct though you are not covered for private hospitals

the poster said you didn't

• Advertisement

It's really important to note that you get money back for hospital admissions on these plans not public hospital cover. These are cash plans and do not count as hospital plans for the purposes of avoiding the LCR loadings.

It's really important to note that you get money back for hospital admissions on these plans not public hospital cover. These are cash plans and do not count as hospital plans for the purposes of avoiding the LCR loadings.

I only realised recently about these not counting toward LCR, but I have a few years yet until I am 35. phew. I recently opted out of Private health care for this as the dental cover far exceeds my current private plan. will opt back in after my year.

as this is a cash plan, when filling out Med2, does HSF reimbursement count towards what you should claim on tax relief?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭phormium

Two very different products I think myself, great to get some cash back but won't get you ahead of the public queue if that is important to you.

no thing is I have put in a claim and the treatment is eligible for med2, so when completing med2 do I just claim the total minus what HSF give me back or do I look for tax relief on the whole sum

• Advertisement

Total minus what HSF pay out

• Registered Users Posts: 38 freckles1234

Can you claim for your teeth cleaning with the HSF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Can you claim for your teeth cleaning with the HSF?

Yes, hygiene visits are covered. That reminds me, I must book mine again.

Advertisement