Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anyone got involved with the Men's Sheds?

Options
  • 04-03-2015 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

My OH is retired two years. He has enjoyed it kind of up to now. I was still working then! So go figure.

I have taken early retirement now, and enjoy the freedom immensely. No problems, have things to do, and nothing to do sometimes, which is what retirement is all about I reckon!

Anyway, OH sees me gadding about and is getting a bit antsy! He goes to the gym every weekday and at 62 that is great, he is a fit man, but since he sees me gadding about and having a ball, he has said he needs to do something else.

So I suggested the mens sheds movement. Silence. He is not good at DIY, has no manual skills and feels he would be useless.

I think he could make the tea and serve the cake and sambos!

Would he fit in do you think without any skills?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

The first rule of Shed Club is You do not talk about Shed Club

The second rule of Shed Club.......YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT SHED CLUB

;) he'd be fine, its a chance for him to enjoy some male company, his lack of skill is an opportunity not a hinderance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,051 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I only know about them indirectly and I'm a wimminz anyway, but I reckon he'd probably find an interest within the Mens Sheds, he might discover the only reason he isn't diy-ish is because he never had the confidence to try! Or he may find he has other skills to offer. Like all these things though each one is different and the only way to see does he like the feel of a place is to try it.

Would he be receptive to doing volunteer type work (not everyone is, and that's fine) like delivering meals on wheels or helping with something like VdeP?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

thanks so much for replies.

I am also of the opinion that if you don't try it, forget it.

I suppose we just wondered about the skills thing going on in the Sheds. You know, those who have great skills at "things". My OH worked at a desk all his life and could only change a bulb!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Each shed is different, they do whatever the members of that she'd want to do.

Not everyone is expected to be a DIY expert.

Some people will bring their own skills to help the "shed", some will learn from others.

Some sheds aren't even in sheds they are more interested in other activities.

Perhaps your OH could help the guys with their fitness, one of the aims of the sheds is to encourage men to look after their health, perhaps he has marketing or organisational skills which will help the shed develop.

Or he can just go along, drink tea and chat, there are very few rules. The DIY is really just an excuse to meet up and maybe raise funds etc.

The shed near me has organised computer classes, visited other sheds and museums, as well as a bit if DIY.

As you are in Dublin I'm sure you can look at a couple of different sheds and choose the one your OH has more in common with.

http://menssheds.ie

A look at the website will give you an indication of what they get up to at various "sheds"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Himself would be the same as your OH. Not at all DIY-ish and would hate to join in with guys in a shed as he would feel very awkward. It really depends on their personality. If he is an outgoing sort of person then he will fit in anywhere. My fella has always had interests, albeit ones that don't need other people, so in a couple of years he might be in the exact same position as your fella. Its going to be interesting. I wait with baited breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

OP, I think that you are trying to manage the situation for him too much.

If he is a little peeved at you enjoying yourself then....tough. He seems to have an ok lifestyle that he was quite happy with up to now.

In fact, I reckon he has a little less freedom around the house each day and that could be the real issue.

All you need to say imo is that you would encourage whatever activity/meetup/golf that he wishes to pursue and just ignore his comments around you gadding around. After all, you worked all your life and are entitles to spend your time as you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,051 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think he is peeved at all, from what the OP says. He has suddenly realised that it is possible to do stuff rather than sitting at home, he sees OP enjoying herself and figures he could do a bit more with his life, but possibly does not have the imagination to figure what to do.

I do agree that throwing some ideas in his direction and letting him sort them would be the way to go. So many people do not seem to 'get' the idea that you actually have to work at life, it doesn't sort itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

looksee wrote: »
    So many people do not seem to 'get' the idea that you actually have to work at life, it doesn't sort itself.

Not trying to take the thread off topic, but this is an incredibly insightful statement and really holds the key to being happy with life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

BBDBB wrote: »
    The first rule of Shed Club is You do not talk about Shed Club

The second rule of Shed Club.......YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT SHED CLUB

;) he'd be fine, its a chance for him to enjoy some male company, his lack of skill is an opportunity not a hinderance :)
    And they might show some "educational" films!

Advertisement