Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New supervised bike shed?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

People are ridiculous with regards to bikes here. Most of the locks I've seen around UL are one step up from sellotape in a thief's eyes. I wouldn't leave my bike around for long without at least two proper chain locks, and it's nothing to write home about. Even then though, someone who knows what they're doing could get through a lock like that in moments.

€2 a day is steep I feel, a lot of bike theft can be stopped by putting racks in public places and people being aware of what's going on around them, because, as shown below, any amateur can make off with a bike at lightning speed if the lock's cheap, and even the best locks aren't a deterent to some thieves.

It's also disturbing how utterly lenient the law is on bike thieves, even in London courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

two proper chain locks

Unless they're proper hardened steel chains designed for securing a bike, they're not worth a damn! Bolt cutters will cut through standard hardware shop chain no hassle - by and large, that's what's used in the shop to cut it to length.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Chimaera wrote: »
    Unless they're proper hardened steel chains designed for securing a bike, they're not worth a damn! Bolt cutters will cut through standard hardware shop chain no hassle - by and large, that's what's used in the shop to cut it to length.

Yeah, I meant proper bike chain locks, but even then, I'm not saying they'll stop anyone who wants to get at a bike either, as the video above shows. It just means anyone who wants to take your bike might have to bring something pretty noticable like bolt cutters to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

here's an idea...

if you live in Milford , elm pk or College court...

WALK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

I cycle to UL everyday on my €400 bike and am lucky that I can lock it near where I am based and can see it throughout the day. I would not be willing to pay €2 for the privilege of locking my bike up each day.

What is the €2 for? Do they need to rent these bike lockers?? Sounds like more revenue generation by UL to me.

College is expensive enough without charging a ridiculous fee for using free travel. Cycling even when its raining is much more preferable to driving.

There is also an underground car park in ERB which has bike racks and CCTV installed. Where these "magic showers" are located??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Figerty

Over in LIT there is a bike shed with an electronic key fob. You 'rent' the fob for the year for a nominal fee.

Swipe the fob (no pun intended!), open the door, put the bike in and lock it to the bike stands as normal inside the shed. Only those with fobs can get in. Obvioulsy it's not fool proof as anyone with a fob can open the gate/door. But it does stop the opportunist and as the shed is mesh sided with one door so it's not easy to steal a bike without being seen or escape the security cameras.

Shed is a mesh side, metal roof and looks ok. cheap to erect. There was even a wheel chair in there... no idea why though!

Of course the IOT's are known for being more 'practical' hahahahaha...... no bikes being stolen though!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Has there been any action on this 'bike shed'? Considering buying a bike but i would be quite worried having read the stories of theft here, never knew it was so rampant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Has there been any action on this 'bike shed'? Considering buying a bike but i would be quite worried having read the stories of theft here, never knew it was so rampant!
    OP never seriously intended to do anything so scratch that one. It was a good idea however.

I've been using a bike for a year now and never had any trouble. I have a sturdy combi lock and a fairly ****ty bike so it helps:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Buy a Kryptonite lock and you should be okay, just make sure you use it correctly (ie, don't attach it to your front wheel that has a quick release... :pac: ). They're expensive but worth getting.

try chainreactioncycles.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

That car park in the ERB has a fire escape door at the back that scummers use to escape through. the place is littered with busted locks. I stopped parking my motorbike in there after I realised that it is in fact less secure than out in the open as they have a bit of privacy to work on your locks.

€2 a day for bicycle parking would be a criminal amount to charge, it would be cheaper to just buy a new scrapheap whenever your bike was stolen. A secure parking area with access using the rfid chips in our student cards (no new fob to carry around/lose) that cost say a tenner per semester would be fair in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

hi lad's

i and a group of students in ul are currently undertaking a project to develop a new product for bicycle's as part of our work we are conducting a small survey on security and new product development, could any one intrested in taking this survey please use the link below to take it

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WKSK5X5

Advertisement