Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4ife Smart Stick

Options
  • 20-08-2013 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Anyone have one of the 4ife Smart Sticks or heard anything about them? Maybe any suggestions on better alternatives?

I have content on my home network and was thinking this would be a good option for accessing them on my TV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

yeah, just bought one yesterday, and the image quality was rubbish!
    i had been using the ipad to use the tv screen on a non smart tv for some streaming, so when i seen this in DID i thought i was on a winner, but when i hooked it up and got it running, i tried and compared the netflix on this and the ipad connected to the same tv.
    it took ages to start playing, buffered like mad, where the ipad on the same wifi in the house, had non of these issues.
    i am still looking to make this a smart tv as such, as the ipad is not always available to do this with.
    anyone else any suggestions? without the expense of the smart tv? i've a sony bravia if that makes any difference.
    also, i seen a couple of blu ray dvd players that had this type of function, anyone know it they are a good option?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Sounds like this might be what you`re looking for:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/#netflix

Not sure where you can purchase one of these in ireland though

• Registered Users Posts: 2 combibox

I have the 4ife smart stick nearly three months now and its brilliant, it works great using the xbmc APP.
    Great value as well. You do need good internet or it won't work to full capacity though

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wilo16

I have just purchased this unit from power city and find it very poor value for money I have tried to return same to them but was advised as this worked in their eyes I could not have a refund or exchange even thought they themselves found the mouse as supplied to be poor quality and did not even try to run any applications or media to demonstrate it capabilities I am still trying to get this unit to work properly and have had to exchange the mouse supplied for a new one in order to get it to work as for media playing completely hopeless continually buffering or not showing and media at all or media player has stopped responding
    ther are that many things I can say but would take all night I would advise people to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BGP.COM

Wilo16

Have you tried contacting the 4ife Company? They are based in Dublin. www.4ife.ie.

• Advertisement

yes I have iwent to there office and had the unit checked out as with power city unit
    attached to tv switched on what are you doing here unit works but no one attempted to attached to a network or try to play
    movie ect and as I explained when the unit is connect at home which is a more confined space than and open showroom
    therefore signal is more likely to be impaired still nothing we can do.

thought when pluged in again at home I had to attached a usb ext cable to get mouse to work
    and purchase a longer hdmi cabe so as to take the unit to the front of the tv still very poor

opinion keep away from this unit as both it and customer care very poor

yes went to their office and had unit checked though as with power city once unit switches on all is ok
    neither tried to run applications to see movies playing erratically and wifi continually dropping out
    and as I explained testing a unit in a wide open environment and a bedromm/sitting room are completely
    two different situations and more likely to loos signal if the units wifi is of poor quality any how waste of time
    trying as with both 4life/power city very hard to try and get through as the focus is purely sales and no customer
    support.
    any how brought unit home as I believed it to be a waste of time trying to solve this problem if both where not
    prepared to listen just switch on off all ok and when pluged in at home again very poor had to attached a usb ext cable to get mouse
    working and a hdmi ext cable to bring unit to front of tv still very poor as for does what it says on the tin this unit is definitely
    not that see you tube ad just plug in and go what a laught I have resigned to have just purchased a very poor quality unit and leave it at that
    its not worth getting in to lather about it its not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wil van der Putten

Just curious if anyone has used the smart stick with a USB Webcam ? After all, they advertise that it can run Skype ?
    Thanks,

w

• Registered Users Posts: 23 idlebones

Have just purchased one of these from Currys, and its going right back today. Mouse is pathetic and works intermittanly, can't connect to the unit from any Android TV remote. I haven't even got as far as getting to watch anything yet. My wifi is pretty good and runs a Sonos system and NAS system with no issues whatsoever. Its just a rubbish product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

My local expert store has these in and I was thinking about buying one until I came on here and read the reviews.

Is it really that bad?

If so, What would be the best smart stick on the market atm generally under €150?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Has anyone purchased the 4ife Keypad ?

I'm having problems setting mine up

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tommycooper67

i just got one of these smart sticks as a christmas pressie. set it up yesterday and so far it's fine. watched a movie on netflix with one short buffering interruption, otherwise no complaints. Also youtube is great on it. I think it probably depends on your wifi signal strength really.
    Only problem is I can't link a smartphone remote to it, will keep on trying. If anyone has any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Reston

Hi

Just wondering if a normal wireless keyboard would work with the 4ife stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ijinxywinxy

Have bought a 4life smart stick, almost set up, it says its 'authenticating network, but nothing happens, says signal is excellent. can anyone suggest something please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Have bought a 4life smart stick, almost set up, it says its 'authenticating network, but nothing happens, says signal is excellent. can anyone suggest something please ?

Your WiFi password is wrong. Try again.

it did work but has gone off line again, getting annoyed at this stage as am not getting anywhere with it. The netflix is the irish version and not the usa version I have on the laptop, which is a bummer. Does anyone know why that is ? is it due to the capacity (limited) of the stick ??

it did work but has gone off line again, getting annoyed at this stage as am not getting anywhere with it. The netflix is the irish version and not the usa version I have on the laptop, which is a bummer. Does anyone know why that is ? is it due to the capacity (limited) of the stick ??

It's not and we can't discuss that here.

It had nothing to do with incorrect wifi password, just a simple issue of changing the date. All is working brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Hi I got one of these for x-mas I wasn't able to get mouse to work. I give it to my brother to bring back as he had recipet. I got new one and now same problem. Any help? I not good with wireless stuff, I doubt got two bad one's in a go. Any advice. I don't want to bring it back it again. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jodibobs

Hi there is something in the bottom of the mouse that you have to connect in to cable or wire. You may have already done this. I had problem and thought the piece was missing. Hope this helps,I had problem last night setting it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Could anyone give a dummies guide in how to watch ' firstrow sports ' using 4ife smartstick

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

You were right, got it sorted thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

DriversEd wrote: »
    yeah, just bought one yesterday, and the image quality was rubbish!
    i had been using the ipad to use the tv screen on a non smart tv for some streaming, so when i seen this in DID i thought i was on a winner, but when i hooked it up and got it running, i tried and compared the netflix on this and the ipad connected to the same tv.
    it took ages to start playing, buffered like mad, where the ipad on the same wifi in the house, had non of these issues.
    i am still looking to make this a smart tv as such, as the ipad is not always available to do this with.
    anyone else any suggestions? without the expense of the smart tv? i've a sony bravia if that makes any difference.
    also, i seen a couple of blu ray dvd players that had this type of function, anyone know it they are a good option?

can a tablet be connected to a tv wirelessly? I want to be able to use my tv like a smart tv. I know there are various boxes available, but most of them seem to be restricted to certain apps. Ideally I'd like to be able to see everything that i can see on my laptop/tablet on my tv, with no restrictions. What's the best way to do this?

peadar76 wrote: »
    can a tablet be connected to a tv wirelessly? I want to be able to use my tv like a smart tv. I know there are various boxes available, but most of them seem to be restricted to certain apps. Ideally I'd like to be able to see everything that i can see on my laptop/tablet on my tv, with no restrictions. What's the best way to do this?

Cable from Tablet to TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 daniely

Got a Smart Stick in January, and had terrible trouble setting it up.We just got Netflix,and the Smart Stick caused buffering. I moved my router (Vodafone) into sitting room, but still buffering issues. The tv screen froze, and had to power off the Smart Stick. This happened a few times over a couple of days, and eventually the Smart Stick would not boot up. Only a white screen, with black bar on one side.
    I brought the Smart Stick back to Power City. I connected up my Smart Stick, and they got the same result. White screen, with black bar. They give me a new replacement.
    I brought this home and connected it up to my tv, and Wi Fi. It worked perfectly, with absolutely no buffering issues. The signal meter is at excellent,and i have watched hrs of Netflix with no issues.
    I got the keyboard recently and this works fine.
    Would recommend, but you need to move your router close to the Smart Stick for a good connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 oneshotward

think they work fab no complaints its all down to internet connection

only thing bothers me is when i try to put the sky go app on it sky put up a message on it saying my platform doesnt support the sky go app ....... any ideas on how to get it on it

• Registered Users Posts: 12 motty27

Anyone able to get bt sports or sky sports on smart stick ? - trying to find a way of watching the football on it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭walshyn93

Mine won't even switch on, please help.

Followed the instructions up until the point where it says it should turn on but there are no signs of life from the thing. No flashing light and when I switch over to the HDMI channel on my TV it just says no signal as per usual when the port is empty.

Is there anything I might be missing? Samsung TV in case that matters.

Beginning to think it might just be broken altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 n.lane

Any recommendations for apps to use on 4Life stick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 ACProctor

A friend has one of these, and it was very impressive. They were using a large-screen TV and no problems at all. I tried to buy one online, though, and their Web site appears to be broken -- any store/purchase links redirect you to Wix.com. I tried phoning the Dublin number and was supposedly in a queue for 10 min. Is the company still operating?

Advertisement