Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPT Hours

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I can sympathise linguist. I also don't think people realise how hard DEIS schools have been cut. They are losing the same as everybody else as well as legacy posts.

I work in a large urban DEIS school (700 students + 350 adult students) with increasing enrollment, and we are losing 110 hours (5 teachers) next year. Our principal will also be teaching for the first time in 20 years.

Thankfully I have CID - but like you, my hours were reduced in my fourth year. I always had at least 18 hours. In my fourth year I had 22 hours but 7 of them were clearly designated as "not to be counted for CID purposes", with a breakdown of reasons given such as "3 hours from temporary NBSS funding" etc.

I'm very worried about my hours for next year now. Our principal says it will be August before she can say what our hours will be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

It alarmed me that DEIS secondary schools didn't make much noise during the winter and spring. Our primary counterparts did and they got something out of it.

I'm keeping my options very much open. I'm encouraged by the amount of job ads that are appearing. With all the retirements there should be decent recruitment this summer. If I get a full time job arising from a proper vacancy, I'll be sorely tempted to give it a shot - not least because I have financial commitments that pretty much oblige me to make a proper living.

Can anybody comment on Chris68's report of 60+ job losses in Co. Dublin VEC?

Clearly, the changes to Guidance and DEIS would have impacted on them, however with so many growing and greenfield schools, this seems very high. I, luckily, applied to them online so I'm hoping something might come out of that. It would be nice to have some inside knowledge of where they stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

linguist wrote: »
    Can anybody comment on Chris68's report of 60+ job losses in Co. Dublin VEC?

Clearly, the changes to Guidance and DEIS would have impacted on them, however with so many growing and greenfield schools, this seems very high. I, luckily, applied to them online so I'm hoping something might come out of that. It would be nice to have some inside knowledge of where they stand.

60+ could mean 60 whole time equivalents which would be massive, but more likely means 60 teachers not on full hours. Either way it's not good.

We've had a permanent teacher redeployed after 23 years in the school. Very upsetting for her and all of the staff. And not fair either.

We've had a permanent teacher redeployed after 23 years in the school.

In Co. Dublin VEC?

• Advertisement

linguist wrote: »
    In Co. Dublin VEC?

Roscommon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Transferred within the scheme or redeployed out?
    I know the DES and VECs are using the term redeployment for both, but there are existing agreed procedures for transfers within the scheme.

I would hate to work in a religious owned/run set up after that long in a VEC.

spurious wrote: »
    Transferred within the scheme or redeployed out?
    I know the DES and VECs are using the term redeployment for both, but there are existing agreed procedures for transfers within the scheme.

I would hate to work in a religious owned/run set up after that long in a VEC.

She's been told transferred as such, but hasn't been told where yet. The words transferred and redeployed were being used interchangeably last week when really they have very different meanings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

She's been told transferred as such, but hasn't been told where yet. The words transferred and redeployed were being used interchangeably last week when really they have very different meanings.

Yes, the Unions need to watch that.
    Involuntary transfers always gave the person certain rights, such as not being able to be forcibly transferred again. We need to make sure not to lose those rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

spurious wrote: »

Yes, the Unions need to watch that.
    Involuntary transfers always gave the person certain rights, such as not being able to be forcibly transferred again. We need to make sure not to lose those rights.

Very true. Transfer should be the first option before redeployment. another thing there and i know its a bit off topic but with amalgmations the unions should try to ensure that existing staff are transferred within their original VEC area.

I think the dept. unions and ivea need to get the finger out on a voluntary nationwide redeployment scheme which could save many of the forced redeployment

• Advertisement
Advertisement