Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on introducing new cats to the family.

Options
  • 02-09-2010 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

I have taken in two more rescue cats who were facing pts ( a male and a female, both about 5yrs) and the time's rapidly approaching to introduce them to my original rescue cats (a male and a female, both about 3yrs) that I've had for the past two years.
    The new arrivals have been treated for everything and have been in quarantine together for the past three - four weeks.

The originals know there's something going on as they've heard miaowing and have sniffed at the door and I have swapped bedding on a few occasions to get them used to each others scents. I have a Feliway plug-in in the hall by the doorway of the quarantine room in the hope that it helps them all to settle.

My original boy is quite the king-of-the-castle and very protective of his mate who can be quite the little scaredy cat. He's FIV+ and only has one eye but she's fine although she doesn't like strangers or loud noises. They're both very sweet natured cats and he's normally quite placid but, despite the cat fence, he turns into a tiger if he spots another cat walking by the back garden and puffs up into a huge ball of fur.

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who's been in a similar situation as I don't want it to go pear-shaped. I'm expecting a few hisses and maybe a bit of boxing but I'm trying to avoid all-out war if possible so any tips or tricks would be awesome and much appreciated.

Advertisement