Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Advice Needed

Options
  • 14-09-2007 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Okay, need a bit of advice here, I know sweet f.a about cars, have to get my first car soon, don't need or want anything flashy, none of this super turbo windscreen wipers bollox or anything mad, just a good reliable car.
    ... I would be willing to spend up to €4000 but aiming for €3000
    ... Age - lowest year I want to go is a 98
    ... I was looking towards a smallish car like a Volkswagen Golf or Polo

Was asking the auld fella for advice but he tends to think that the nationality of the car maker is more important ....i.e "Fiat?? Bah, don't trust the Italians" "Peugeot?? French?"? Are you mad??"

So basically could anyone give me some proper advice on a good model of car or what I should be aiming for?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd be thinking something Japanese at that level of money.
    If you're not bothered by image, I'd suggest something like a Mazda 323, Suzuki Baleno, old shape Nissan Almera.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Señor Ding-Dong

colm_mcm wrote:
    I'd be thinking something Japanese at that level of money.
    If you're not bothered by image, I'd suggest something like a Mazda 323, Suzuki Baleno, old shape Nissan Almera.

In other words they look like biscuit tin on wheels? :D Thanks for the advice anyway, do these cars have a good reputation? i.e reliablity etc? I was told that the polos and the golfs are meant to be good, although they might be a bit more expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Se&#241 wrote: »
    In other words they look like biscuit tin on wheels? :D Thanks for the advice anyway, do these cars have a good reputation? i.e reliablity etc? I was told that the polos and the golfs are meant to be good, although they might be a bit more expensive?

Thats because they hold their value. The car market is flooded with cheap cars, cheaper to buy privately as I did with my first. Have a look on carzone or similar sites they should be in the sticky. :)

Advertisement