Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Stereo Please Help me

Options
  • 13-09-2007 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a Seat Ibiza 05 , I changed the radio this evening, which was all well and good. Althought when my bro hooked up his ipod it was on full blast volume wise, so when the radio or car stereo came on it went crazy, it was so loud it cut the radio out. I thought the radio had died on me , so when I got home I tryed the original radio I got with the car, but that wont work either , any ideas guys I am at a loss as to wat to do ??

Will

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

When you say the original radio wouldn't work either, do you mean it's powering up but no sound or not powering up at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

All the that comes up on the old radio is the word safe . But doesnt actually light up or turn on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Safety cut off for the speakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Check fuses? Tell us about the Stereos. Makes/Models ...

Ok after a bit of reading maybe its the stereo thats gone, because the old radio comes up as safe, meaning code needs to be entered to reactivate it.

I checked the fuses , nothing visibily looks blown.

• Advertisement

The question is suppose, the old radio must work then if its asking for an anti theft code, could it be possible I have blown the new stereo I put in?

Is it actaully possible to blow the radio itself?

Yeah just had a look through the radio manual for my Ibiza and indeed "safe" means it's looking for a security code.
    If you have the Seat radio(Alana) manual check out page 14, chapter on overload protection. It could just be for the Seat radio only but it doesn't make much sense.

"High volume may create a circuit reaction. During this phase,to unload the amplifiers the end stages of the loudspeakers are disconnected":confused:

That just sounds like a poor spanish/english translation. I know a radio will have it's own protection but what the hell does "end stages of the loudspeakers" mean.

BTW hope you have the code for the original radio.

There might be a fuse in the power line on the stereo's wiring loom. Or possibly on the stereo itself as is the case with a lot of Pioneer stereos.

I dont have the code do you happen to know where I could get it?

Cheers for the advice tax man .

FX Meister wrote:
    There might be a resistor in the power line on the stereo's wiring loom. Or possibly on the stereo itself as is the case with a lot of Pioneer stereos.
    So its possibly that radio that is buggered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Seat Dealers - about €10

Ok so if it the old seat "Alana" radio is showing up as SAFE, then it must mean the new radio I put in is knackered.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"High volume may create a circuit reaction. During this phase,to unload the amplifiers the end stages of the loudspeakers are disconnected":confused:
    Some kind of fuses on the speaker leads (at either end). I would think the new unit should be OK. Have you tested it in another car? I'm not an electronics engineer, mind you!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

You could have blown the preamp, as I did with my head. had it up too loud for too long (combined with the fact that dodgy wiring in the door was constantly shorting it out) and the mosfet amp blew. Twenty quid from Ebay got me a new one, a quick dismantle, desolder, removal, resolder new one in, bingo bango.

Willstev wrote:
    So its possibly that radio that is buggered?
    No, just that the stereo may have a fuse itself rather than a fuse in the car. Could just need to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Aye, take a look at hte back of the head, there might be a fuse in it itself. There should be anyhoo.

I havent, as I have no other car to test it. Thing is the old unit must work as its showing up in SAFE mode waiting for the Anti Theft Code to be input. When I checked the fuses , none seemed burnt out.

I think I should drop out to a car accessories place I know ask if I can test a stereo, if it works , its the new unit stereo I have that is not working, if not its something wrong with the electrics for the radio.

Bring the old stereo back to where you got it and tell them it doesn't work.

Thanks everyone for the advice and help, I will be back tomorrow with hopefully with a Car Stereo that works.

Thanks again everyone

• Advertisement

Sup lads, this morning I had another look at the fuses and discovered one was burnt out , so replaced it and now all back to normal, happy days.

Cheers for the advice.

Happy days indeed.;)
    Out of interest how do you find the sound from the Seat fitted speakers with a head unit other then the Alana yoke. I fitted a tasty JVC radio in my Ibiza and was pleasantly surprised how well the standard speakers coped with the increased output power.

Its got great sound, its amazing how bad quality the Alana radio actually is. I am deligthed now with my own stereo in the car.

The Alana has a staggering 4x20w output:D . Anything you fit in the dash is going to be at least double the power output. Just glad they fitted speakers that can handle the extra load.

Advertisement