Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 Coils replaced 3 times

Options
  • 12-09-2007 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I have a 02 Audi A4 that is now looking at its 3rd replacement of the coils. I'm no expert, the 1st replacement was understandable, the 2nd i put down to just being unlucky, but today they are gone again :mad:
    Am i missing something here :confused: Is there anything that would be making the coils go bad after about 3 months each time???
    I could really do with some help as I am getting p!ssed off at this stage.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Possible that only 1 coil has gone each time??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

As above.

There are individual coils on each plug lead rather than the old style single coil for all plugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 JohnW

The 1st time, only one coil was replaced, the 2nd time the complete set where replaced, including the one that was originally replaced. The complete set are only 3 months old and the work was done in an Audi dealer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Can you be 100% certain that all of them were actually replaced??
    I have heard it happen before that one was replaced and they were charged for the whole lot.
    I have never heard of all going at once so if they did either there is something major wrong with the car or even the way the driver is treating the car.

jonny24ie wrote:
    Can you be 100% certain that all of them were actually replaced??
    I asked to look at the work sheet, the guy explained that the 1st time only the faulty coil was replaced, but when the coil went again, they replace the set. Apparently there were dodgy coils fitted in A4's around that 2002 so it was a known problem. As with any garage, can they be 100% trusted???
    I dont drive the car hard and i look after it with regular service and oil check every 1000 miles.

• Advertisement

Well I would suggest going to a different mechanic if it happens again! Even if faulty coils were fitted they should have been replaced FOC and also the new packs would not have gone within 3 months if the problem was resolved! I know people with the same car same year and never heard of this problem before.
    I wasn't implying you were a hard driver just saying that there are really only 2 explinations for what has happened! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

My wife has a (2005)Golf V 1.4 and we had to replace all 4 coils just this week.
    Still, better than having to replace the CAT....

Mike.

Thanks for your help, i just wanted to make sure that nothing else could be damaging the coils before i start shouting at the garage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

no point in shouting at the garage - this is a known VAG fault, and there's no guarantee that new coils will ever be any better. Other cars with this fault are Renault and Opel.

Note absence of any jap car on the list.........:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

JohnW wrote:
    The 1st time, only one coil was replaced, the 2nd time the complete set where replaced, including the one that was originally replaced. The complete set are only 3 months old and the work was done in an Audi dealer.

Genuine VAG parts come with a 24 month warranty, go back to the main dealer and tell them to replace the bad coil pack.

I had a single coil pack go on my car, i replaced all 4 and now carry a spare in the boot along with tools to change it :)

Neil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

galwaytt wrote:
    Note absence of any jap car on the list.........:rolleyes:

And Italian, and British, and Korean, and Australian, and American, and Chinese, and Scandinavian etc. etc.

Whats your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

point is, maybe I should have stated 'europeans'........they're all atrocious vis-a-vis electronics quality.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Neilw wrote:
    Genuine VAG parts come with a 24 month warranty, go back to the main dealer and tell them to replace the bad coil pack.
    Car booked in with main dealer tomorrow and all covered under warranty :D
    Hopefully I will get longer than 3 months this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Yeah, but it doesn't sound right that they are going out as often. I've heard the wiring to them can go faulty, showing up as an intermittent fault. The affected cylinder misfires, you touch the wires and it's fine again. :confused:

Yeah, but it doesn't sound right that they are going out as often. I've heard the wiring to them can go faulty, showing up as an intermittent fault. The affected cylinder misfires, you touch the wires and it's fine again. :confused:

Excess heat can damage the coilpack wiring, there is a heatshield available from audi.

It's the silver wrap around the wiring in this pic.

Forgot to add the part number...8L9-121-659

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Neilw wrote:
    Excess heat can damage the coilpack wiring, there is a heatshield available from audi.

It's the silver wrap around the wiring in this pic.

Forgot to add the part number...8L9-121-659

Neil.

Nice one Neil ! I haven't seen those before.... I wonder how much they are? Pity VAG wouldn't cover stuff like this for free!

Nice one Neil ! I haven't seen those before.... I wonder how much they are? Pity VAG wouldn't cover stuff like this for free!

The heat shield is around €55 + vat, expensive for the little piece it is :rolleyes:

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Other cars with this fault are Renault and Opel.

tell me about it the megane and scenic are perfect examples of this, most people Ive talked to with one have had a coil go before 30000 miles. we had them go aswell........

Neilw wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. I have car back now and all is OK. Think i will invest in one of these shields, it might be whats causing my problem ;)

Advertisement