Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo V70 2000 2.0T or 2003 2.4D

Options
  • 18-04-2014 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Thinking of changing the car. Need an estate but not looking to spend too much up front.

Am considering having a look at the following:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v70-2-0t-nct-tax/6747350

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v70-2-4-litre-diesel/6715912

These have relatively high miles but not in relation to their age.

I do around 15000 miles a year. Based on 27mpg v 44mpg my rough calculations are showing the diesel to be approximately 1700 cheaper annual fuel cost. Does this sound about right? If so it easily takes care of the 3 or 400 extra on tax depending on paying it up front or in quarters.

Other considerations:
    2.0T 180bhp nicer T5 style seats, NCT'd for a year, ad states tyres + TB just done
    2.4D 163bhp 3 years younger, 10k less miles, nicer alloys

I'll need to check what service history they both have.
    Anyone have experience with the Volvo V70 from around 2000 to 2003?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Never owned a volvo but in that type of car I be looking more closely at the diesel as fuel cost rise quickly with a couple of passagers and a little luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

No NCT on the diesel. It could put you at a loss over the petrol depending on what it need done to pass. Clutch and DMF failure would be costly. Timing belts would be another big cost if they are due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Diesel every time, the 2.4 has a long service interval, make sure its been done reg. If your doing that mileage and only paying 1150 euros for the car, it would be worth doing the timing belt asap i.e. the day you pick up. 160,000 is nothing on them, so i would look at overall condition and go through everything, one thing i would also check, is if the speedo has silver rings on it, as the non silver ringed ones were prone to failure, 2k fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭gb153

Thanks for the replies so far. I was swinging towards the diesel but no answer this afternoon. Understandable as its good friday.

In the meantime I've just come across this T5.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-volvo-v70-152k-2-4-t-5/6791683

All the negatives of the previous 2 combined: petrol, high tax. Seems they eat through light bulbs likes they're going out of fashion too. Only positive is the mpg is close to the 2.0T.

Could someone please give me some reasons to not even consider this? This always happens when car changing time comes around lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

gb153 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far. I was swinging towards the diesel but no answer this afternoon. Understandable as its good friday.

In the meantime I've just come across this T5.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-volvo-v70-152k-2-4-t-5/6791683

All the negatives of the previous 2 combined: petrol, high tax. Seems they eat through light bulbs likes they're going out of fashion too. Only positive is the mpg is close to the 2.0T.

Could someone please give me some reasons to not even consider this? This always happens when car changing time comes around lol.

The dent in the passenger wing. :D I know it's a sub €1k car but still would drive me mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I have a 2.0T S60 with an LPG conversion. It returns 45 - 50 MPG equivalent without the clatter of diesel.

Only really makes sense if you pass an LPG station regularly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

45 mpg? How are you managing that? Are you sure your working that out right,assuming its manual the official figures for the car are only 31 combined. Does LPG not return slightly worse mpg?

I did a rough calculation for my S80 from last year when I got 450 miles from a tank driving on 95% motorways in the UK and it works out at around 29, its auto but still.

45-50 mpg equivalent cost is what he meant I think due to cheap cost per litre of lpg. Ya would be great if it was converted but I think the price would be a grand or so more if it was.

Saw the bump in the front wing alright but it wouldn't be a game changer for me. My new calcs are showing the T5 is only 400 more than the 2.0T just considering upfront cost, tax + fuel. Diesel is well below both.

Reviews on the T5 are showing a lot can go wrong with them. Would wonder if a lot of the issues would be taken care of at 150k miles or whether they might be reoccuring.

I get 22-25 mpg at 78c/l. Do the sums on conversion. I paid 1100 to convert the 5 pot. Payback is about 12000 miles - should hit that within a year.

stimpson wrote: »
    I get 22-25 mpg at 78c/l. Do the sums on conversion. I paid 1100 to convert the 5 pot. Payback is about 12000 miles - should hit that within a year.

Where did you get the conversion done? any issues with it?

Have you any pics of things like the switches, filler and fuel gauge by any chance? Cheers.

• Advertisement

Where did you get the conversion done? any issues with it?

Have you any pics of things like the switches, filler and fuel gauge by any chance? Cheers.

Got it done at LPGain.ie in Tallaght.

I can get some snaps, but if you're in Dublin I'd be happy to meet up and show you.

Got it done at LPGain.ie in Tallaght.

I can get some snaps, but if you're in Dublin I'd be happy to meet up and show you.

Was having a look on their site earlier alright.

Yeah , definitely be interested in having a look, cheers. I'm down in Cork till Monday but if your about at some stage next week thatd be great.

Garage just rang back. The diesel has been sitting up for 9 months as its owner had passed away. It needs a timing belt as JJJJNR mentioned as it was last done at 110k miles. Clutch is slipping too. Seller said its more of a mechanics car really and I agree so I'm going to leave it off.

I wouldn't touch a volvo of that era unless I had at least 2k aside for it at all times, parts are seriously expensive on them, auto's are very weak also, if that goes wrong 4k fix, thats info from a uk forum I previously researched, god knows what it would be here ! I myself and a few on here have had a thing for volvo estates in the past, but they are very expensive when they go wrong. I think anything post 03 is safe enough, as its around then ford started getting involved in the engineering side.

Whats your budget, I would look at a legacy etc if you want a reliable estate in the 2k range.

I had Legacys/Outbacks on my radar alright but was surprised by the power figures on paper. 2litres are 135bhp whereas the 2.5 are 153bhp for the models up to 2003. Not much bang for the tax brackets they're in. Do they feel quicker in reality?

Some of the reviews show head gaskets can go. Are there 2 gaskets on the boxer engines? No doubt more reliable than the volvos though. I'm leaving out the twin turbo options as I don't want anything imported/modified or anything that looks boy racery.

Last option would be to keep my 1.6 avensis with 190k which doesn't look anywhere close to giving up. Have it 3 years and so bored of it. Then again can't complain with the running costs!

Never driven the legacy personally, but they seem bullet proof from anyone I've spoken to but very thirsty. If your doing 15k a year you want decent mpg / comfort, what about a A6, plenty of 99/00 estates around with the diesel engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch a volvo of that era unless I had at least 2k aside for it at all times, parts are seriously expensive on them, auto's are very weak also, if that goes wrong 4k fix, thats info from a uk forum I previously researched, god knows what it would be here ! I myself and a few on here have had a thing for volvo estates in the past, but they are very expensive when they go wrong. I think anything post 03 is safe enough, as its around then ford started getting involved in the engineering side.

Whats your budget, I would look at a legacy etc if you want a reliable estate in the 2k range.

They have their issues like most cars - but from what ive read the 2.4 D5 diesels are pretty good.

IMO - some of the bitching (for want of a better word) on these Volvos on Volvo forums* - is because many owners were previously driving old school Volvos - which to be fair were awesome.

Take a look at what goes wrong on other manufacturers cars for a bit of perspective.

A more accuate reflection (imo) on these Volvos is that in T5 form - they were widely used as patrol cars by Traffic cops in the UK for a good while

*ive looked on them to find S60s to drool over - I think the Mk 1 S60 is a stunning car to look at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I've got a 2.4D5 with 62000 miles. I've done my homework and know a bit about them. Message me if you wanna know more.
    The alarm will go wrong though but you just pull a fuse to sort it. You have no alarm though.

The diesel is engine is strong and didn't have the same problems of their contemporaries at the time and even now. Expect 44mpg without effort accompanied by an optimistic 48mp g recored by the computer.

Timing belt needs to be done at 96000 miles or ten years.

The SE comes with the best sound
    system in the industry though and it's the only diesel I know of that makes a nice noise when pushed. A lovely 5 cylinder warble.

Imo the suspension is too soft but the flip side is a comfy ride. I also think they look superb. That's down to the proportions and the strong shoulders as well as some choice wheels.

The estate is worth more than the saloon.

Apologies for errors. Typed on phone.

You'll get about 25mpg in a two litre legacy. Strong cars though.

My brother has a 2003 S80 2.0T 5 cylinder petrol 180 hp, really fantastically smooth engine.

I took it for a spin through Wicklow yesterday around 110 miles in total and averaged 34 mpg not driving too easy. Lots of city town driving would see that drop.

These cars take lpg brilliantly so I'm told. I would have it over any diesel any day.

I wouldn't buy the auto.

• Advertisement

coolbeans wrote: »
    I've got a 2.4D5 with 62000 miles. I've done my homework and know a bit about them. Message me if you wanna know more.
    The alarm will go wrong though but you just pull a fuse to sort it. You have no alarm though.

The alarm could be an easy fix if caught in time. Whip out the alarm box from behind the drivers wing. Carefully dremel it open. If the battery hasn't leaked all over the board it's just a case of replacing with a 7.2V rechargeable - less than a tenner on eBay.

Glue, cable tie and silicone the case back together and put it back. Job done.

The alarm could be an easy fix if caught in time. Whip out the alarm box from behind the drivers wing. Carefully dremel it open. If the battery hasn't leaked all over the board it's just a case of replacing with a 7.2V rechargeable - less than a tenner on eBay.

Glue, cable tie and silicone the case back together and put it back. Job done.

Thanks, I'll have a look into that. It's pricey to replace.

Advertisement