Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japanese Film Festival 2014

• 20-03-2014 7:20pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,744 CMod ✭✭✭✭

That time of the year again - likely the only chance to see some Japanese cinema on the big screens of Ireland. Dublin, Cork, Waterford, Galway and Limerick are again all served, albeit with slightly different programmes. Full details here: http://www.jff.ie/

A lot of films from familiar directors such as Hayao Miyazaki, Takashi Miike, Yoji Yamada (Twilight Samurai etc), Yûya Ishii (Mitsuko Delivers) and Shuichi Okita (Woodsman and the Rain etc..).

Some potential highlights:

The Wind Rises, obviously!
    The Story of Yonosuke. I saw it last year, and it is another warm and funny film from Okita.
    Patema Inverted, a new anime which has gathered quite a bit of positive buzz from other festivals.
    Unforgiven, an Eastern remake of a Western!
    The Great Passage, which is about libraries of all things but apparently quite good ;). Attracted a little bit of controversy when it was submitted as an Oscar potential ahead of Like Father, Like Son.
    And two excellent classic choices - the peerless Princess Mononoke, and the avant garde brilliance of Woman of the Dunes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hmm, only a handful in Galway, and we're not even getting The Wind Rises. I always take the chance to see Ghibli movies in the cinema when I can, so boo on that count. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Nice, really hope the Mononoke screening is off a DCP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

12 april mononoke and wind rises in dublin. anyone know if they are english or subtitled. may have a young child with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭limnam

Dublin, Cork, Waterford, Galway and Limerick are again all served, albeit with slightly different programmes. Full details here: http://www.jff.ie/

Won't make it to Dublin, Anything you recommend from the Cork line-up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,744 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

limnam wrote: »
    Won't make it to Dublin, Anything you recommend from the Cork line-up?

I think most of the possible recommendations I mentioned above - aside from the Wind Rises and the two classics - are playing Cork :) I've only seen Story of Yonosuke (which I really liked, but be warned it's the guts of three hours long) and The Garden of Words (beautifully drawn but otherwise unspectacular animation from Makoto Shinkai) myself, but I think most of the other films would be worth a gander depending on which descriptions appeal to you. Lesson of Evil is Takashi Miike returning to horror / action - has received some mixed reviews, but sounds like it could be well worth a go. Capturing Dad has received some really positive reviews from the likes of Variety - seems like a crowdpleaser when the crowdpleasing is an asset instead of a liability!

• Advertisement

I still remember the first time going to the Japanese film festival, seeing Ponyo, Departures and Kamikaze Girls :D Still annoyed I missed last years though, would've loved to have seen Wolf Children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I might go and check out Unforgiven in Galway tonight.

Also I had no idea that there was more Ghost in the Shell out!

emo72 wrote: »
    12 april mononoke and wind rises in dublin. anyone know if they are english or subtitled. may have a young child with me.
    I'd wager they're both subtitled. But the question I need to ask is whether Mononoke is playing off a DCP. I don't want to bump into quality as bad as Ace Attorney last year. :pac:

According to the pamphlet, all films are in Japanese with English subtitles.

Heading to Unforgiven tonight and will be going to a few of the others, just wish that the line up in Galway was on par with Dublin. While I've seen Lesson of Evil and a few of the others I'd like the opportunity to experience them on the big screen I was really hoping that The Summit: A Chronicle of Stones would play Galway, been something I've been looking forward to for awhile and Daisaku Kimura has shot some beautiful films in the past and visually The Summit should be an absolute treat

Saw both Patema Inverted, and Unforgiven last night.

Patema was incredible, would really recommend it. Unforgiven was pretty amazing too, but I'm really tempted to watch the original again to see how it compares because I haven't seen it in years.

• Advertisement

Huh went to book a ticket for Mononoke and it's not on the Lighthouse website anymore. :confused:

e_e wrote: »
    Huh went to book a ticket for Mononoke and it's not on the Lighthouse website anymore. :confused:
    Ah it's back now, fair enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,744 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Wind Rises, as I would have expected, was beautiful and graceful. I wouldn't necessarily say it's one of his definitively greatest films (although I'm down to trying to futilely classify levels of greatness there), but it's undoubtedly one of the most subtle and grounded film in his directorial oeuvre (perhaps more in line with some of his screenwriting work on Poppy Hill or Whisper of the Heart). It's a Miyazaki film all over - revisiting themes and personal fascinations from his long and distinguished career. It's also the most technically accomplished - while it might lack the memorably surreal imagery of many of his classics, the sheer vibrancy and colour of the film leaps off the screen throughout and there's a genuine beauty to every meticulously drawn frame.

It's a gentle, sombre work, and scenes play out at a consistently leisurely pace, but there's an ever present bittersweetness to it. It's a film happy to let many of its ideas bubble under the surface, but it articulates the darker sides of the story without feeling heavy handed. That's Miyazaki's greatest trick here - he deceptively focuses on the micro, sometimes even the mundane, but manages to highlight the bigger picture in interesting and intelligent ways. It is full of subtlety and care - even Joe Hisaishi's score is quieter and less invasive than usual. The dream sequences, an ever dangerous cinematic shortcut, here actually serve a strong thematic purpose and allow Miyazaki to embark on some worthwhile flights of fancy (literally!). There's also a haunting, extended recreation of the Great Kanto Earthquake.

It is, ultimately, a film that reflects on the challenges of creating art and following a dream. There are compromises that have to be made, and at the end the creation might be distorted or even destroyed in ways the creator never intended or had to grudgingly accept. It certainly applies to these ambitious engineers fulfilling their dream of building magnificent flying machines in a time when they're being re-purposed as tools of mass destruction - providing them access to previously unheard of resources, but at a pretty terrible price. But one could certainly read it as a great director looking back at their own career & life, with both sadness and absolute pride. A recurrent quote throughout is that all artist's only have ten years at the height of their creativity to realise their wildest ambitions. Miyazaki, taking his probable last bow here, is being hugely modest - he gave us more than thirty years of endlessly imaginative features. The Wind Rises is one of the most mature and reflective works this extraordinary filmmaker has made - returning to some of his greatest passions while also trying quite a few new things. It's IMO a far more fitting punctuation mark to an illustrious career than either Ponyo or Howl's.

Apparently the screening of Woman of the Dunes this evening is 35mm for anyone on the fence :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Apparently the screening of Woman of the Dunes this evening is 35mm for anyone on the fence :)

The novel it's based on is cracking. Won't be there tonight but curious to see how they adapted it.

Oh, it's genuine class, an unclassifiable gem from mid-century Japanese film unlike any of its contemporaries. I've seen it recently enough that I would have given it a miss if it was a Blu-Ray (or less!), but hard to turn down a 35mm screening of such a rich aesthetic experience.

Saw Yonosuke tonight, and The Great Passage the night before last, both were really good and both seem to have an amazing mix of humour and sadness. I don't know how else to describe it, but it seems like Japanese movies can hit a note with me and have me laughing and crying at the same time.

I haven't seen the original in at least five years, so I'm in no real position to compare and contrast based on anything other than a cursory glance at Wikipedia's plot description. But I enjoyed Unforgiven, even if the crowd-written encyclopedia highlights it's pretty much a note for note remake plotwise. I did even recognise several images and settings, even if the specifics had grown hazy. It's heavy handed thematically and musically (although the score drops off to allow many key scenes speak for themselves). The performances are all solid. Above all, it looks fantastic. Even many big budget Japanese films in recent years tend to have a cheap, digital look about them, but Unforgiven offers pretty sumptuous widescreen rolling hills, snowy fields and lashing rain. Overall, it's probably pretty redundant outside a few intriguing cultural adaptations, but I was surprised at how worthwhile it was on a big screen.

Woman in the Dunes was great, with a lovely print. It's a bit of a cliche, but it really is a film that doesn't work half as well on DVD or BluRay as it does on a big screen. That abstract soundtrack roars, and you really feel the existential oppression that makes this a challenging but completely unique experience. A sandsoaked and surreal classic, and a true treat in its original form.

The Kirishima Thing - where the heck did this come from? A genuine unexpected gem. A popular kid named Kirishima disappears from school without explanation, sparking a vivid, subtle and deeply intelligent ensemble drama about the trials of being a teenager. Indeed, it's easily one of the best films I've seen about being a teenager - cleverly subverting archetypes in surprising and rewarding ways. Director Daihachi Yoshida admirably avoids easy answers (there film's core mystery remains just that) in favour of a far richer and resonant story. Add to that a nicely understated, shadowy visual style, several neat structural tricks and extremely inventive and minimalist use of music and you have a mini triumph. Hopefully this gets a wider release somewhere along the line.

Patema Inverted, on the other hand, offers some good ideas that are sadly wasted by awkward storytelling and underwhelming execution. Jonathan Clements intro suggested it flips typical anime gender politics - it does no such thing, and feels sadly familiar as a result, like a subpar Laputa. There's some potent visuals inherent in the concept of upside down worlds, and there's certainly some striking images. Its constant changes of perspective were quite fun to keep track of, and the potential of falling up into the sky takes vertigo to a whole new level. But it also feels like a missed opportunity, calling out for much more imaginative setpieces to make the most out of its magical physics. The world building is standard dystopian fantasy fare, the characters bland, the direction largely uninspired and the music relentlessly cheesy (one very funny music based gag aside). The basics are intriguing enough that I found myself hoping it would suddenly burst into life. Alas, it never really soars.

Seeing Princess Mononoke on the big screen was just incredible. Nearly had tears in my eyes when the opening music started, such a nostalgia overload for me. Needless to say it remains one of my very favorite films and the way Miyazaki managed to balance the three central conflicting characters just blew me away all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Patema Inverted, on the other hand, offers some good ideas that are sadly wasted by awkward storytelling and underwhelming execution. Jonathan Clements intro suggested it flips typical anime gender politics -

I'm 100% sure he meant that to be a joke.

Advertisement