Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insights into living in France

Options
  • 23-01-2014 4:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

I've accepted a friend's invitation to put me up in Toulouse from April and use his contacts to help get me a job. I have limited French from leaving cert over 10 years ago and periodic study for my own amusement since.

I don't know how busy this forum is or how many residents of France post, but it would be interesting to get insights into what they do differently there.

Apparently renting somewhere can be difficult if you don't have a guarantor or are already working. I hopefully won't have that problem, but interesting to note if true.

Anything else people have noticed? Stuff to do with working France that would be unusual for an Irish person?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭baker59

Apart from the language, there isn't much of a culture difference.
    I've only been in Toulouse briefly so I don't know the city but I would think it's more like home than Paris.

They take very long lunch breaks which can be annoying if you want to get home earlier although it would depend on the job whether a shorter lunch break is allowed.

My brief experience of Toulouse is great, the people seem really nice.

Finding a place to stay is very difficult in Paris, yes you need guarantors, maybe your friend will be yours. You need a job to get a social security number and even then there seems to be a big drawn out process to get the health card.

All in all, if you get the job and move over, you will enjoy yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

There are companies like Airbus I think and train builders around Toulouse, so a technical writing job could be a possibility.

Is it worth using Linkedin to look for work in France? I'm keeping all options open, speak French, have spent a wee bit of time there, but not sure if it would be better to be "on the ground".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Funnily enough, I am hoping to move to France sometime after the summer. I've heard you need to be careful about renting apartments. Sometimes if damages in the apartment are not already shown to you by the landlord, they can charge you for repairs, etc.. But I guess you would easily check what you're renting!

I know for sure transport can be a lot cheaper than in Ireland at times. I paid 20€ in Nice for a month's unlimited tram pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Funnily enough, I am hoping to move to France sometime after the summer. I've heard you need to be careful about renting apartments. Sometimes if damages in the apartment are not already shown to you by the landlord, they can charge you for repairs, etc.. But I guess you would easily check what you're renting!

I know for sure transport can be a lot cheaper than in Ireland at times. I paid 20€ in Nice for a month's unlimited tram pass.

From what I hear people are wary of foreigners so getting somewhere without a job already can be difficult. I will be staying with a friend, but even he will find it a bit awkward as he is technically freelance, despite being in regular employment.

I've been to the city I'm moving to already and I have to say the metro there was excellent. Good value and frequency of the trains is so good that it's hardly worth rushing to catch one that's coming into the station. Buses seem ok too and it's the same ticket.

I'll keep that in mind about deposits and repairs when I'm getting my own place. I notice that you can get your own apt for the same as what I have paid in the past for a room. Nothing fancy obviously, but I'm happy enough if a place is clean and not too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cambasque

yes don't forget you have to hand the apartment in the same state you got it in, that means possibly repainting etc. for some reason no wear or tear is tolerated, same with floor coverings etc. I presume in toulouse there is an expat community and of course an irish pub which has sessions every month.

• Advertisement

cambasque wrote: »
    yes don't forget you have to hand the apartment in the same state you got it in, that means possibly repainting etc. for some reason no wear or tear is tolerated, same with floor coverings etc. I presume in toulouse there is an expat community and of course an irish pub which has sessions every month.

I plan on keeping away from Brennan's. Not.

Jeez if you were renting and able to afford a mortgage in France you'd be as well off to buy nearly if that was the craic... haha.

Something I'll have to keep in mind. Annoying.

Yeah, I've seen a couple of expat communities, one of which seems quite active. I'll try to minimise my meetings with English speaking groups though.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wispa9

I'm doing an internship in Toulouse atm. If you're under 26 you can get a pass for all public transport for €10 a month! You also might be eligible for rent assistance, though that can take a while to come through (applied a month ago and still waiting to hear back!)
    I really like the city, it's not too big but has everything you could want! But it'd be no harm to brush up on your French as a lot of the locals don't have great English. If you're working in a company like Aribus you'll be fine as most have at least decent English. :)

wispa9 wrote: »
    I'm doing an internship in Toulouse atm. If you're under 26 you can get a pass for all public transport for €10 a month! You also might be eligible for rent assistance, though that can take a while to come through (applied a month ago and still waiting to hear back!)
    I really like the city, it's not too big but has everything you could want! But it'd be no harm to brush up on your French as a lot of the locals don't have great English. If you're working in a company like Aribus you'll be fine as most have at least decent English. :)

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually nearly 30 so the cheap transport thing doesn't apply to me. I've been there before so I know the craic with the locals and English. I'm not going there to speak it. I prefer that people tend not to have English, so I can't fall back on it.

I've worked with French Airbus people before. They get English classes free on company dime.

I'm just looking for a fresh start, get working at anything at all and learn the language. If it worked out I would probably stay long-term no bother, but I'll be treating it as a working (hopefully) holiday at first anyway.

Sure if I miss home at all I can go down to De Dannan for a few scoops.

wispa9 wrote: »
    You also might be eligible for rent assistance, though that can take a while to come through (applied a month ago and still waiting to hear back!)
    )

It sounds like you're talking about the CAF? I hope to get this if I end up working in France.

It sounds like you're talking about the CAF? I hope to get this if I end up working in France.

Yep! I'm still waiting to hear back, so apply asap if/when you arrive! I think the payment is roughly a third of your rent, give or take. Not bad if you can get it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

The amount of CAF you are entitled to is means tested. I wouldnt bank on it from my experience.

Im only working a 28 hour week in Bordeaux and was refused because my income was too high. And my net income is a little over 700 a month

MrKingsley wrote: »
    The amount of CAF you are entitled to is means tested. I wouldnt bank on it from my experience.

Im only working a 28 hour week in Bordeaux and was refused because my income was too high. And my net income is a little over 700 a month

So there's basically no chance of me getting the CAF if I work 12 hours a week teaching English to Frenchies and get little over 700 a month. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

So there's basically no chance of me getting the CAF if I work 12 hours a week teaching English to Frenchies and get little over 700 a month. :(

Wells depends on what your rent is aswel.

Basically after you have completed all the paperwork (and theres plenty) they will state how much disposable income you should have. You want that number to be nice and low. But i think other factors must come into play aswel.

For example though 2 of my housemates recieve the CAF. One of whom earns a little less than me but with the CAF it turns out to be more and the other who earns more than me anyway. Its a bit of a kick in the teeth really

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Wells depends on what your rent is aswel.

Basically after you have completed all the paperwork (and theres plenty) they will state how much disposable income you should have. You want that number to be nice and low. But i think other factors must come into play aswel.

For example though 2 of my housemates recieve the CAF. One of whom earns a little less than me but with the CAF it turns out to be more and the other who earns more than me anyway. Its a bit of a kick in the teeth really

I ended up getting over a third of my rent back with the caf, but I've discovered the rates are very unpredictable! I know someone getting half their rent paid, and someone getting less than me, and we all earn the same. So yes, I wouldn't advise anyone to count on it for budgeting!

Advertisement