Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Chicken in the Phoenix Park!

Options
  • 02-09-2010 10:25pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This evening I was taking a leisurely stroll around the Furry Glen part of the Phoenix Park, as I do oftentimes.

As I was walking back to my car, to my total surprise, I spotted a large chicken wandering around the edge of the wood where the road to Knockmaroon Gate crosses over the Glen stream on top of a ridge. I was puzzled. What is a chicken doing in the Phoenix Park?

Could it have escaped a coop from somewhere nearby, or did someone abandon it there? Is it a hen or a rooster? It was very large - about 0.7 to 0.8 metres in height. It wasn't even that scared of me and I managed to take take shots of the bird. Here's one of them:

94713982_rooster_phoenixpark_sep_10.jpg

I contacted the DSPCA and reported the sighting. Surely it can't last long in the Park with foxes about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

It's a hen, a hybrid layer by the looks of it. Could well have wandered off from a coop - lots of people keeping chickens now. Wouldn't fancy it's chances in the park though, must be a lot of foxes there :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

You can tell I'm a city person - I don't know my hens from my roosters.:pac:

I just thought that it was highly odd to see a chicken in the park. Maybe it could have escaped from Pet's Corner at Dublin Zoo? I reported the sighting to the DSPCA last night.

Hopefully she'll be caught and rescused before a fox gets to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It can survive well if it remembers to roost in a tree like its wild cousins. When I was visiting England, as a child, some animal rights people released loads of Turkeys. People started spotting Turkeys all through the woods & fields. Apparently they thrived.

Advertisement