Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat proofing windows

Options
  • 02-09-2010 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

I have what seems to be the standard window that opens outwards with a hinge on the side:

casementWindowL.jpg

My cat is indoor only and has never been outside.

However, I need to be able to open the windows to keep damp at bay and just to get some nice fresh air.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can do to cat proof (possibly with childproofing tools) my windows?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

funny-pictures-windows-xp-hibernate-ceiling-cat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

You can get fly screen things in lidl and aldi sometimes, they're made of fine netting and have a tape that sticks to the window frame. They allow the breeze in but no bugs, I put one on my daughters window and the cat didn't destroy it so it may work.
    The other option is those catches that stop the window from opening more than an inch or two, think they're designed for kids bedrooms but not sure where to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

Thay have those little devices for child-proofing windows in Ikea if you're looking for something like that.
    Failing that, you could buy some plastic-coated wire mesh in a garden centre and tack it to the top and high sides of your window and then put some hooks on the lower sides and across the bottom. This would allow you to lift it up to open the window and then hook it down to keep the cat inside. You'd have to keep it tightly tensioned though, and not allow gaps for little paws to get in and try pull it out.
    Failing that, you could just put a cat fence in your garden. We got a fantastic one from purrfectfence.com but there are other companies out there now who do a similar thing. It was a bit pricey but it's so worth it as our cats now have the freedom of the garden all day without our having to worry about them.
    If none of those options are possible then maybe you could get a de-humidifier for the house to help with the damp.
    Let us know what you decide and how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Smilerterry

we have the same problem and I have the child proof locks from mothercare that stick on to the window frame. they let you can open the window about 2 inches and it let the air in, but too small a gap for a cats head! Also you can unlock them easily to open the window wide if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Mothercare! Aha. I will definitely check out what they have. I kind of assumed they only sold clothes :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement