Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Up to date on the show, just got the books, start from scratch?

• 15-04-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

As the title suggests really.

I had tried to get into book 1 after watching the first series when it finished donkeys ago, but through distraction and to be honest length of the book I stumbled and never finished it.

I'm back into reading now, reading a few books and the likes and I've got a bit of space to fit a big read in.

I already had two books, and for some strange reason just went and got ALL the rest of them today.

Am I best of starting from scratch, or jumping onto the book that is pretty much more in line with where the show is at present.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Start from scratch. You'll never follow it trying to start from the third book because there are so many additional storylines and characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If you want more background and lore go from the start, the first book isn't a million miles from the first series so it'd just be fleshing out really. Clash of Kings is where the changes really start to come in so it's a must read really. They delayed a lot of character introduction from that book into season 3 or not at all so yeah, no problems will really arise starting from book 2 I'd say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

In similiar situation myself; started book 1 before I started watching the series, then gave up on it once I started watching the show. Wondering if there's enough in the books to flesh out what I'm seeing on TV, or enough differences...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

In similiar situation myself; started book 1 before I started watching the series, then gave up on it once I started watching the show. Wondering if there's enough in the books to flesh out what I'm seeing on TV, or enough differences...

There is definitely enough material in the books to justify reading them alongside the TV show.

May be some relevant replies here as well, OP: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057189843

Unrelated to above, but I'd also like to ask that if someone is willing to skip entire books, then why are they reading them at all? To find out what happens next instead of having to wait for the next season? If someone cares so little that they'd skip whatever they can, then they may as well be reading summaries on the wikis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Beginning. It sets up the whole feel of the story and has lots of back story that I think will be hugely relevant in future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Unrelated to above, but I'd also like to ask that if someone is willing to skip entire books, then why are they reading them at all? To find out what happens next instead of having to wait for the next season? If someone cares so little that they'd skip whatever they can, then they may as well be reading summaries on the wikis.
    Some people find the size of the books daunting. Fair play to them if they are willing to give them a go. I prefer the show to the books. The books have an awful lot of unnecessary padding. I generally enjoy reading but it was an effort to finish some of GRR's books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Some people find the size of the books daunting. Fair play to them if they are willing to give them a go. I prefer the show to the books. The books have an awful lot of unnecessary padding. I generally enjoy reading but it was an effort to finish some of GRR's books.

Pretty much what happened to me tbh. I "like" reading, but I tend not to get involved with big books. I simply dont have the time to dedicate to them.

I had tried my hand at the first book but gave up, was reading it after seeing the first season and it was just a slog.

I've started last night on the second book and will work from there. If I can give it 30-45 minutes a night before bed I'll be happy enough. I'm not one to sit down and spend hours reading, that time is for gaming :D

I wonder if audiobooks might help, to play them while im off doing my grindy gaming stuff that I don't really need to focus on

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Like everyone else has said, start from scratch. There is a lot more in the books you don't see on TV (although I will say there is a lot they do on TV that is better than the books!)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

TheDoc wrote: »
    Pretty much what happened to me tbh. I "like" reading, but I tend not to get involved with big books. I simply dont have the time to dedicate to them.

I had tried my hand at the first book but gave up, was reading it after seeing the first season and it was just a slog.

I've started last night on the second book and will work from there. If I can give it 30-45 minutes a night before bed I'll be happy enough. I'm not one to sit down and spend hours reading, that time is for gaming :D

I wonder if audiobooks might help, to play them while im off doing my grindy gaming stuff that I don't really need to focus on

I got through all the books using audiobooks and playing Call of Duty...it's an awesome way to do it, I'd highly recommend taking this option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I've considered reading them before but it seems like an awful investment considering all the other books you could read while watching the show instead. I hate audiobooks too.

I'll get to them eventually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭valor rorghulis

My biggest advice is don't read really fast to find out what happens - I missed so much stuff the first time around, particularly in book 4&5, because I wanted to know.

Semi-spoiler:
    Book 4 & 5 are excellent but they're actually build up books for the story on its way,we're left wondering on all the storylines, so my speed reading exercise was a complete waste

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I watched the first 3 series then started reading the books and am about 100 pages into book 3 now. It's getting confusing because it seems around the start of book 3 a lot of small little things have been changed from the tv series.

For example, book 3 spoiler that hasn't been in the show yet.
    Jorah kisses Dany on a boat sent by the Illyrio chap?! Wtf?! That definitely wasn't the tv series was it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I've started reading from scratch and its a bit disillusioning because I know what is going to happen. I'm not much of a reader in general but sure I'll give it a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Start from scratch so much more info in the books from start to finish

Advertisement