Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where is the show now in relation to the books?

• 14-04-2014 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36

Hi,
    As the title says, where is the show in relation to the books?. I have been watching the show since it started. Last year I was given a gift of five (I think) game of thrones books, but have not started reading them yet.

Would anyone know where I can start off the books so I can read on from where the TV show is at now?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'd nearly just start from the beginning. Some events in the books don't follow the timeline of the tv show. There are also extra characters in the books. They are a great read anyway so why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

The TV show is all over the place in regards to the books. Some character arcs are in A Storm of Swords, others in A Dance with Dragons. There have been new characters created, others dumped, others combined.

Starting off where the TV show currently is would have you completely lost. Would be huge shame to miss out on a single page of ASOIAF anyway (well...for the most part), never mind multiple books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 SuomiJohn

Thanks for the replies, I think i´ll take the advice and start from the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The first season pretty much follows the first book. After that it goes a bit all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I tried reading the books back after I saw series 1, but I found it hard to get into the book as it nearly followed the first series exactly. Started reading Clash of Kings earlier this week and finding it much easier to get into

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've read the first three books and this season is basically the second half of the third book but some events have already happened, some havent yet in the book and vice versa so the timeline is a bit all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

It's around chapter 61 of "A Storm of Swords" which is the book. Some things that have happened in the book haven't happened in the TV Show and vice versa. However, apparently this season there will be a good bit take out of book 4 and 5 in the series to allow the show to "flow better"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

The thing is, a lot of the events did already happen in the book but aren't mentioned until much, much later (Theon's fate for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Another point is that it's a long time since season 1 (unless you've rewatched it recently), so a refresher is no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Have just started reading the books in tandem with catching up with the series. Got a present of the first two books and want to buy the rest. What is the third one called and is there anywhere you are likely to get 3 or 2 or any other similar offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

chancer12 wrote: »
    Have just started reading the books in tandem with catching up with the series. Got a present of the first two books and want to buy the rest. What is the third one called and is there anywhere you are likely to get 3 or 2 or any other similar offer?

Third is called A Storm of Swords, fourth is A Feast for Crows and the fifth is A Dance with Dragons.

You can usually get them on Amazon in some sort of offer.

tnx so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

It's hard to say as they've deviated so far from the books in the last few episodes. But Joff's funeral hasn't happened yet. We're still pretty early into book two of Storm of Swords.

... tnx, am loving the series. Am also glad I came late to it because I have a weekly movie night now with my son to watch it and we look at 3 - 4 episodes at a time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

chancer12 wrote: »
    ... tnx, am loving the series. Am also glad I came late to it because I have a weekly movie night now with my son to watch it and we look at 3 - 4 episodes at a time!

Try thebookdepository.co.uk, you can generally get the books for under a tenner and the delivery is free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

For anyone who wants to read the books, Dance and Feast take place simultaneously along chronological lines, meaning one book covers half the characters, and the other book deals with the rest.

I read the books one followed by the other last year, and found it very confusing to follow and I constantly forgot characters and what happened to who where and when it happened (Sorry) :D

But here is a list in roughly chronological order for the two books which I had intended to read next time I go through them, anyone watching the show might prefer reading like this as it will keep the show and book on roughly the same story, I'm also very lost as to when things should be happening in the show because of how the books are split, so hopefully someone will avail!

There are spoilers below the chapter list, so read past it with caution

http://boiledleather.com/post/24543217702/a-proposed-a-feast-for-crows-a-dance-with-dragons

Advertisement