Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WIT Psychology

Options
  • 17-03-2014 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, I'm hoping to go to WIT in September to study Psychology. I'm just wondering if there's anyone about who could give me an idea of what it's like there or what to expect if I get in.?

Also, after my degree I want to head in the general direction of criminal psychology. If any has any experience or advice to offer, I'd really appreciate it.!

Thanks for reading, all advice welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KillMona

romanita wrote: »
    Hi, I'm hoping to go to WIT in September to study Psychology. I'm just wondering if there's anyone about who could give me an idea of what it's like there or what to expect if I get in.?

Also, after my degree I want to head in the general direction of criminal psychology. If any has any experience or advice to offer, I'd really appreciate it.!

Thanks for reading, all advice welcome :)

I'm only in first year of this course but so far, so good. Second years and third years seem to find it fine too. There are parts people generally struggle with i.e. statistics - which are hell. You shouldn't fall behind on any of the modules really but it's probably going to happen, just don't let it be statistics! Go to every lecture and tutorial of that module and keep on good terms with that lecturer, if you're struggling sometimes a few people get together to arrange for grinds in a group to reduce the cost etc.

Lecturers in Psychology are all very good, can't say a bad word against any of them. Essays aren't too bad, as with everything -don't let them build up. I would suggest that you invest in an Intro to Psychology book (even just one with the relevant Psychology terms listed), just to even flick through or google some of the modules listed on the WIT website to be at least familiar with each module before you go in. As with every course, it's not what you expect.

You have to pick two minor subjects to study too, for example English and Religion. I would definitely recommend both because I find them easy and the major in Psychology can be pretty taxing. I would stay far, far away from Economics. There's foreign languages to choose from too. Sociology is a popular minor for Psychology majors. The only minor you're not eligible to do is Theatre Studies, which is great for you because it's the biggest pile of sh!te going. You drop one minor after first year. Keep Psychology as your primary focus though, sometimes you can spend too much time on minors when there's no need for it.

You'll most likely need to do a masters. A B.A. in Psychology is not worth much tbh, it touches on everything but nothing is studied in much detail. There's a masters in Criminology in DIT and a masters in Forensic Psychology in UCC, here's a link to a few others in Ireland: http://www.crimecouncil.gov.ie/criminology_related_courses.html

Lastly, just make sure this is the course for you before you make your mind up completely. Plenty drop-out, plenty transfer courses because it's not what they expect - research it as much as possible.

Sorry for the overly long reply, hope it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romanita

Thanks for your reply, you've put my mind at ease a bit :) about the statistics..would be more difficult than leaving cert HL Maths or how would you summarise it.? I'll definitely do some more research, that's one thing I haven't done a lot of... Thanks again for your reply, was very helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KillMona

I didn't do HL Maths for the Leaving and only did one strand of project maths so I'm not too sure how similar they are. If you're doing Higher Level Maths I'm sure you'd have no bother with it though. Introduction to Statistical Analysis and Design - that's the module name, that generally summarises it - just interpreting and analysing data (for example: experiments) and designing your own data to analyse. I'm not sure if that's how stats in HL Maths is presented. As I said, it's not too taxing if you attend all your tutorials and lectures on it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romanita

Oh right, well I'll have a look into it. Thanks so much :)

Advertisement