Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galways best golf courses?

Options
  • 05-04-2013 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I've been playing now for a year and a half. So far I've played athenry, barna, Galway bay, cregmore, glenlo abbey, loughrea, Connemara isles (long time ago). Would like to play ballyconneely and salthill this year.

Anyone care to help me put galway,s courses in order of quality? Or any recommendations? I hear portumna is nice too.

My rankings from best to worst 1. Galway bay
    2. Loughrea
    3. Barna
    4. Athenry
    5. Cregmore (was really wet and soft when I played,I'm sure it's nice in summer)
    6. Con isles (long time ago, only 9 holes)
    7. Glenlo abbey
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Portumna is solid track alright
    Surprised to see Athenry so low in the list. That would be my favourite course in Co. Galway.
    Salthill also good :)
    Ballinasloe is not too bad either if you get over to east galway, but it can be very wet at times. Rumor has it, they messed up their drainage down there with some experimental technique

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

My own list starting with the worst.
    Glenlo
    Curra west
    Dunmore Demesne
    Ballinasloe
    Connemara isles
    Mountbellew
    Tuam
    Bearna
    Loughrea
    Cregmore
    Gort
    Oughterard
    Athenry
    Portumna
    Ballyconnelly
    Galway
    Galway Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Good list of courses there by scrubber, haven't played them all but hard to argue with the rankings. Personally I'd probably have Galway first followed by Galway Bay, two very different courses. Always found Ballyconnelly to be overrated so would have thought further down the list and Ougterard/Loughrea which I've always enjoyed playing further up the list.
    On a side note, although not technically not in Galway, I'd put Ballinrobe ahead of them all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have to agree with the Ballinasloe comment, we played it every year in our society for over a dozen years and skipped it this year because it was in brutal condition last year, loads of lads losing plugged balls.
    Portumna is a gem, some great holes, 17th is superb.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Used to be in ballinrobe but left due to mileage and galway bay is on my doorstep. Still reckon galway bay is better though. More variety and not as windy as you might think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

Surly Connemara Links has to be up there too

Ronney wrote: »
    Surly Connemara Links has to be up there too
    Ballyconnelly is Connemara links. Sorry if any confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Ballyconnelly is Connemara links. Sorry if any confusion

No bother, not local so probably a little ignorant of me to what the course is known as.

Good list played a few of your top ones and would understand why they are up there. Haven't played any of the bottom ones though

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭inthehole1

would def have portumna up at top
    lovely course and very reasonably priced

Even though I do quite like Portumna. I have to say that if the 17th wasn't there it wouldn't be anywhere as highly rated as people put it. One of the things I look out for when playing a course is, can I remember many of the holes? Most of the holes are forgettable to be honest but this is only my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kyleman

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Even though I do quite like Portumna. I have to say that if the 17th wasn't there it wouldn't be anywhere as highly rated as people put it. One of the things I look out for when playing a course is, can I remember many of the holes? Most of the holes are forgettable to be honest but this is only my opinion.

And while 18 is a fairly good par 3 its a bit of a let down after 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

kyleman wrote: »
    And while 18 is a fairly good par 3 its a bit of a let down after 17.

Thing about Portumna is the never ending variety of Slight Dog Leg between the trees Par 4's, punctuated by the odd really good hole.

Also, 17 & 18 are real card wreckers, and tend to leave a sour taste in the gob if not parred.

The addition of the newer 9 at Ballyconneely has really made it a 'must play'.

If you're sticking close to Galway city, then Galway GC, Galway Bay & Athenry are the best choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jwalsh1980

Am looking to join a golf club next year and its either going to be Athenry or Galway. I hear Galway is the better course but Athenry is much friendlier. Any advice would be great.

I take it money isn't a problem. Galway over athenry but timesheet congestion is a problem with both. I am a member of galway bay so i would put it above both. No winter greens and less money to join. Its a lot better too but i am baised.

Hi Scrubber,

There is a great deal in Galway bay at the moment. They are doing 15 month membership for the price of 12. €990 to join. I hear its a fabulous course alright. Is it a friendly club? I would imagine it would be a tough course especially on windy days

jwalsh1980 wrote: »
    Hi Scrubber,

There is a great deal in Galway bay at the moment. They are doing 15 month membership for the price of 12. €990 to join. I hear its a fabulous course alright. Is it a friendly club? I would imagine it would be a tough course especially on windy days
    I took that deal last October. Great value. Not as windy as i thought it would be. Not to say it has days that are tough. Best condition year round course i have played. Very nice group of lads in club the made me very welcome. Only a small amount of members around 150 male and 50 female so no problems with teetimes. Thee is also an extra fee to join mens club. I think 150 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

If you live in the city and can afford it there is imo only one choice ...galway golf club. . . .If its a choice between galway bay or athenry i'd go GB...enjoy choosing all great courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Glenlo €350 for next year. Under new management. Course undergoing redesign. New pro. New head green keeper. Some details here http://www.glenloabbeyhotel.ie/en/golf-resort-galway/

Yes Gary Madden is the new director of Golf in Glenlo. A very nice guy and great teacher. They have huge plans for the course and to increase the size of the pro shop and driving range. Should be something else when it's all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Curlew

Big improvements underway at Glenlo. With membership fee set at €350 for 2014, it probably is best value for money.

• Advertisement

Curlew wrote: »
    Big improvements underway at Glenlo. With membership fee set at €350 for 2014, it probably is best value for money.

Oughterard is €400 for new members in 2014, better value for the extra €50 imo.

Goldenjohn wrote: »
    Oughterard is €400 for new members in 2014, better value for the extra €50 imo.

Wow, that's a seriously good offer, I'm looking at paying nearly 2 1/2 times that for a comparable course within 20mins of North Dublin City. Nice course and always in great nick anytime I've played it. A very underrated course in my book but a real pity they can't include an additional par 5 or two to extent it out to a par 72 as the first par 5 (8th) is very strategic leaving only the second (14th) to have a go at.

Wow, that's a seriously good offer, I'm looking at paying nearly 2 1/2 times that for a comparable course within 20mins of North Dublin City. Nice course and always in great nick anytime I've played it. A very underrated course in my book but a real pity they can't include an additional par 5 or two to extent it out to a par 72 as the first par 5 (8th) is very strategic leaving only the second (14th) to have a go at.

I agree a par 72 would be nice but you'd be shoehorning it in which would detract from the course. The only real option would be the index 1 16th and if you changed that to a par 5 it would weaken the course greatly imo.

Maybe its a discussion for another thread but does a par 72 make that much of a difference when choosing a course? I came from Westport and thought i'd miss the extra par 5s more than i did, saying that i do appreciate the better scoring opportunities when i now play a par 72.

The good people of Tuam won't be happy.

Kevin Markhams Top Ten Golf Courses in Galway as featured in today's Galway City Tribune

Wombatman wrote: »

Kevin Markhams Top Ten Golf Courses in Galway as featured in today's Galway City Tribune

Bearna @ 4???
    Never played Gort or ballinasloe must knock them off the list this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

I like Tuam - have enjoyed my rounds there immensely - but doesn't get ahead of Ballinasloe and was just pipped by Cregmore Park. I need to get back to the latter as I've heard it's not in as good a shape as it used to be.
    Goldenjohn wrote: »
    Bearna @ 4???
    Love the course. It's unique. Nothing like playing a course that is so different to anything else around. I've heard drainage is a problem, but not when I've been there.
    Would thoroughly recommend you get to Gort.

I like Tuam - have enjoyed my rounds there immensely - but doesn't get ahead of Ballinasloe and was just pipped by Cregmore Park. I need to get back to the latter as I've heard it's not in as good a shape as it used to be.

Love the course. It's unique. Nothing like playing a course that is so different to anything else around. I've heard drainage is a problem, but not when I've been there.
    Would thoroughly recommend you get to Gort.

What about Loughrea?

What about Loughrea?

Agree, would place Loughrea ahead of Cregmore Park anyway which I've always found to be very open and generous of the tee and greens not to the condition of the likes of Oughterard and Athenry.

Bearna is a tough one to rank, played it a good few times but that was a good many years ago now and never really played well and thus enjoyed my round there (probably rekindling memories of days on the real bog saving turf). That said it is certainly unique and there are some nice hole layouts so can see the appeal and positive ranking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I've read these pages for a good while now but never had much interest in posting until now. Lads, that list is brutal, I'd have played all the courses in galway and I actually can't believe anyone would rank them in the way he has done.

Given that we live in Ireland I think surely how the course drains and plays in wet weather has to be an important factor. 3 of those courses (Balinasloe, Ougtherard and Bearna) are virtually unplayable for half the year because they drain so badly. Ougtherard is a nice course and Barna is a decent track when it's dry but Balinasloe is a mickey mouse course anyway in my opinion aswell as having its drainage problems.

Galway Bay is the best course by a good margin I think. So many great holes there. Portumna is a good course but if it wasn't for the 17th (which in fairness is one of the best holes in Ireland) then I reckon it would just about make the top 10 so can't really see a justification for it being first.

I must confess I've only played Ballyconneely once but it is a fine course. Galway is somewhere I'd be very familiar with and is a good course although I always think if you get your driving right it's handy enough from there on, has very big welcoming greens that are always a pleasure to putt on.

Athenry is a nice course always in great nick and in a great location although it can be a bit mundane and the lack a bit of space down there or something.

Loughrea, Tuam and Gort are all solid courses that are always maintained well. All 3 are a good challenge and would both deserve to be in the top 10. Cregmore Park I find it hard to make much of a case for. It's very wide and generally not enough of a challenge I think. Maybe in 10 years time when the whole palce is a bit more mature it might be a decent course but not now.

I think I've gone through them all so I'd probably rank them like this:

1 Galway Bay
    2 Galway
    3 Ballyconneely (though I'd really need to play it again to give a proper opinion)
    4 Portumna
    5 Athenry
    6 Ougtherard
    7 Loughrea
    8 Gort
    9 Bearna
    10 Tuam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Lads, that list is brutal, I'd have played all the courses in galway and I actually can't believe anyone would rank them in the way he has done.

Fair enough - no need to be rude about it. We all have our opinions. I wouldn't agree with your list either but evidently we work on different criteria.

Someone emailed me the other day saying that Loughrea should be 3rd on the list, someone else said Bearna was a dump. Everyone has an opinion and most people would disagree over any top 10.

I did post my rationale for why Loughrea didn't make the top 10 (in reply to Wombatman's query) but Boards went down for maintenance and my post disappeared. I'm told it should be reinstated. Wombatman may have an email of it.

Advertisement