Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio 1 Big Weekend

Options
  • 31-01-2013 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Is coming to Derry (again)! It hasn't been announced officially announced yet though ;)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's been confirmed that it's happening over three days in May. So far, acts announced are Olly Muirs and Two Door Cinema Club...and wee Soak from Derry :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Those 2 artists aren't going to get many excited at this stage, but this event normally has a decent lineup so I would expect to see plenty of bigger names added in the near future.

It will definitely be a good 3 days for the city. Good to see.

The first day is going to be mainly dance music/One Xtra stuff. I'd like to see a lot more local bands get a bit of exposure along with a few big names. TDCC are okay (saw them at Oxegen a couple of years ago) but Olly Muirs isn't my cup of tea. It will appeal to Radio One's target audience though (I'm out of that age range now!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Excited til I saw the post about Olly Murs :p

I wonder how much the hotels will shoot up that weekend...

pow wow wrote: »

They are already, generally speaking, more expensive over every weekend this year.

• Advertisement

pow wow wrote: »
    Excited til I saw the post about Olly Murs :p

According to reports, all hotel rooms are already booked up for that weekend.

Derry has been caught out with this CoC year and the lack of rooms available for people - the Fleadh will also be a problem. There simply isn't enough hotel beds for this year, as this weekend proves.

I think there was meant to be 5 new hotels in time for the CoC year, and only 1 was built.

NIMAN wrote: »
    According to reports, all hotel rooms are already booked up for that weekend.

Derry has been caught out with this CoC year and the lack of rooms available for people - the Fleadh will also be a problem. There simply isn't enough hotel beds for this year, as this weekend proves.

I think there was meant to be 5 new hotels in time for the CoC year, and only 1 was built.

Yep - supply and demand. Balls up.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Just lack of coordination to ensure everything gets spread out and not happening at the same time! The Rotary Global Peace Forum is also on that weekend, that was announced months back so everyone involved in that has snapped up most of the available rooms, presumably the BBC blocked booked whatever rooms remained for their staff before they announced the winner so anyone from England etc. that wants to come will have to go Limavady/Coleraine direction for hotels unless they go for B&B's.
    Penfailed wrote: »
    Yep - supply and demand. Balls up.
    I'd say that's more business/land owners fault than the Councils. The fella that owns the former Tillies site wants to build a hotel(only if he gets public funding for it), he's claiming poverty so won't do anything to tidy the site up(or sell it!). I'd say the other proposed hotels were heavily reliant on getting public grants to cover the cost. Didn't the council get a million pounds not so long ago to "clean up" the appearance of many buildings around the town? why spend money cleaning up your building if you might get the Council to help fund it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,012 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The tickets for this are released tomorrow after a site crash today.

45% of tickets for people in the Derry City Coucil area
    45% of tickets for the rest of N.Ireland
    10% of tickets for Republic of Ireland and the rest of the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qmbnj/features/tickets

Apparently someone did manage to order tickets on the phone before it crashed, any mention on if they'll get to keep them?

• Advertisement

Did I hear Alicia Keys mentioned too?

40 minutes wasted this morning for nothing. Would of thought getting people to register then having a lottery would be a much fairer way to give out tickets, 5 or 6 people already have their tickets up on ebay for over 100 quid:mad:

Got tickets for Saturday and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

guttenberg wrote: »
    40 minutes wasted this morning for nothing. Would of thought getting people to register then having a lottery would be a much fairer way to give out tickets, 5 or 6 people already have their tickets up on ebay for over 100 quid:mad:
    phoning up IS a lottery.

you have your wish!

phoning up IS a lottery.

you have your wish!

No, pre-register and then have a lottery by randomly allocating the tickets to whoevers on the list, thus avoiding lots of people being late for school/work, wasting time on websites that keep crashing/phonelines constantly engaged. I wasn't looking for me, it was for a couple of school aged relatives.

Chatting to quite a few who got tickets today and it didn't appear difficult at all.

Some were able to get tickets for all 3 days without hassle.

Rumours more to be sold at other times too before the actual weekend. If you want to get into it, I think you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nedsgarden

Heard they were to be released in stages as well, though R1 website says all gone.

I tried the website on the morning, was waiting got through, entered postcode details, then kicked out, just busy i guess, phone line all but useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Anyone know of any B&Bs that might not be online. Everywhere else, even the Frontier is full that weekend.

Have you tried all these:
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g186482-Derry_County_Londonderry_Northern_Ireland-Hotels.html

Presumably that's all the local hotels and B&B's worth trying. Will you be relying on taxi's or have you a designated driver? if the latter, I think there is B&B's in places like Eglinton, Carrigans etc. all within 10-15 minutes drive of Derry. If your all young, what about Paddys Palace? it's a hostel for backpackers and it's a short walk from the centre of Derry. I've never heard of any complaints with the place.

http://www.paddyspalace.com/derryhostel.php

• Advertisement

Derry taxi's are relatively cheap anyway, so if you have to book on the outskirts then it should not be too much of an expense if there's a few of you sharing.

Keep an eye on the likes of Gumtree and DoneDeal too, there will probably be people/landlords will the odd empty house looking to make a few bob that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Thanks, got a last min cancellation out by the airport. Everywhere else in the city and suburbs are full. Good for the local economy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Was hoping the Saturday line up was on the Sunday. Not sure if I would be arsed now. :/

irish_goat wrote: »
    Was hoping the Saturday line up was on the Sunday. Not sure if I would be arsed now. :/

Have you got tickets for Saturday? That's the best day IMHO. I'd love to see Two Door and the Vaccines again. I've yet to catch Biffy live too.

Penfailed wrote: »
    Have you got tickets for Saturday? That's the best day IMHO. I'd love to see Two Door and the Vaccines again. I've yet to catch Biffy live too.

Nah I got Sunday tickets. :/

Two Door and Biffy were the two I had wanted to see.

Get on Gumtree Derry and try a swap, I see a few ads there for swapping tickets.

Also scandalous how tickets are going for £100 - £150 on Gumtree. Hate touts!
    One guy had the cheek to say he needed £100 for his tickets to cover 'admin'.

Nah I got Sunday tickets. :/

Two Door and Biffy were the two I had wanted to see.

Well done on getting tickets. Shame about the day though. Good luck with swapping :)

I've already got tickets for a beer festival on the Saturday though, plus the missus still wants to go on the Sunday anyway so I'll probably just be letting her sister have my ticket.

• Advertisement

I've already got tickets for a beer festival on the Saturday though, plus the missus still wants to go on the Sunday anyway so I'll probably just be letting her sister have my ticket.

A guy I know has posted on Facebook to say his son wants to swap two Saturday tickets for two Sunday tickets...

Advertisement