Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thunder B 'Grenades'

• 30-12-2009 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭

Useful as they are, they tend to misfire a lot(as in they don't go bang). I have four of them, so I know it's not a problem with just one.

I was wondering if anyone had any fixs or tricks as to remedy this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

i used thread lock on mine as the black knurled part at the top of the cylinder that houses the co2 bottle kept coming loose,,,,,,,,,,,,, problem solved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

thermo wrote: »
    i used thread lock on mine as the black knurled part at the top of the cylinder that houses the co2 bottle kept coming loose,,,,,,,,,,,,, problem solved!

Haven't had that problem yet but I'll keep it in mind if it does happen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

KonFusion wrote: »
    Haven't had that problem yet but I'll keep it in mind if it does happen :)

were you using the pineapple boddies or thunderflash body as the pineapple ones are more reliable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

wrap plumbers tape around the screw part of the shell, it makes the seal less prone to leak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

I only get dud's with the soundflash shells. So I don't use them anymore...problem solved :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

I've found that when the weather is really cold they can take longer to expand. The black one's are a bark for that.

Regarding missfires, I discovered it's down to not tightening it enough.
    Some vaseline on the threads works wonders. Also make sure the rubber bung in the tube is fitted correctly other wise the spike doesn't always burst the CO2 cannister properly.

Plus check the hammer is flat, otherwise the spike doesn't get enough grunt to burst the CO2 cannister. You can reshape it with a hammer, it does help.

thermo wrote: »
    were you using the pineapple boddies or thunderflash body as the pineapple ones are more reliable!

I was using the thunderflash one's mostly as I thought they were meant go blow quicker, obviously not. Gonna run out the back now and try out the pineapple ones. I've about 50 shells and a pile of C02 canisters so I've no problem testing any theories :D. Though I do get misfires quite a bit with the pineapple ones too.
    wrap plumbers tape around the screw part of the shell, it makes the seal less prone to leak.

Thanks for that. So wrap it round then screw it on yeah? Must try.
    I only get dud's with the soundflash shells. So I don't use them anymore...problem solved

I've found that when the weather is really cold they can take longer to expand. The black one's are a bark for that.

Regarding missfires, I discovered it's down to not tightening it enough.
    Some vaseline on the threads works wonders. Also make sure the rubber bung in the tube is fitted correctly other wise the spike doesn't always burst the CO2 cannister properly.

Plus check the hammer is flat, otherwise the spike doesn't get enough grunt to burst the CO2 cannister. You can reshape it with a hammer, it does help.

Well I have the rubber O thing fitted as stated in the..."manual" :p

Is there any way to improve the grunt the hammer hits with? As occasionally it doesnt burst the cannister. I was thinking about maybe putting something under the cannister before I put it in it's metal container, this way it pushes it up into the spike on the inside more than usual, and may work better...Only one way to find out I guess. I just hope this doesn't make it too volatile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Is there any way to improve the grunt the hammer hits with? As occasionally it doesnt burst the cannister. I was thinking about maybe putting something under the cannister before I put it in it's metal container, this way it pushes it up into the spike on the inside more than usual, and may work better...Only one way to find out I guess. I just hope this doesn't make it too volatile.

Some tissue paper works wonders, rolled cardboard is a gem. No it won't make it more volatile. You can sharpen the spike, I'm trying to source replacements so if I can get them I'll pm you. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Some tissue paper works wonders, rolled cardboard is a gem. No it won't make it more volatile. You can sharpen the spike, I'm trying to source replacements so if I can get them I'll pm you. ;)
    Wouldn't mind pming me aswell if you can source them, would you?

Legend! :)

I'll try the cardboard too. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

The tissue paper is the dogs (well you know what). Just tried here in work.

Now I need to calm my colleages down! Any one got ny suggestions for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thebillynator

The tissue paper is the dogs (well you know what). Just tried here in work.

Now I need to calm my colleages down! Any one got ny suggestions for that

tear gas:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Rat squad

had a few issues with the duds meself, if you think the pin isent penetrating deep enough try put a one cent piece in the end alloy cap that pushes the co2 bottle up that bit.

also tighten the black metal piece with the grip son really tight before you put the bottle housing on.
    and check you have the plastic washer in the original place it started, and its not cracked.
    somtimes the sound flash and pinapple are uneven at the very top where a seal is formed, therefor a rub on bit of emery paper on a hard surface helps the seal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭chris20

had a couple problems with the duds myself,the solution that works for me that hasnt failed yet is.............fill the soundflash shell 3/4 way full with bb's,make sure the you screw the shell on as tight as possible,use a knife to put a good vertical score the entire lenght of the shell,make sure its a deep score but not so deep that you pierce the shell,this weakens the shell making it blow alot quicker,since i started doing this i have not had one dud and the grenade goes off in aprox 2-3 seconds every time,if your having a problem with duds try this,let us know how it works for ya :)

chris :)

chris20 wrote: »
    had a couple problems with the duds myself,the solution that works for me that hasnt failed yet is.............fill the soundflash shell 3/4 way full with bb's,make sure the you screw the shell on as tight as possible,use a knife to put a good vertical score the entire lenght of the shell,make sure its a deep score but not so deep that you pierce the shell,this weakens the shell making it blow alot quicker,since i started doing this i have not had one dud and the grenade goes off in aprox 2-3 seconds every time,if your having a problem with duds try this,let us know how it works for ya :)

No! Don't! Silly people!
    It's illegal and stupid and dangerous and illegal. The BB's come out at around 500 fps, not to mention the fact that it could blow up in your hand.

*Leftyflip headdesks repeatedly*

Leftyflip wrote: »
    No! Don't! Silly people!
    It's illegal and stupid and dangerous and illegal. The BB's come out at around 500 fps, not to mention the fact that it could blow up in your hand.

*Leftyflip headdesks repeatedly*

Calm down lefty. Ur gonna hurt ur head :rolleyes:

Just use powder or something as a substitute for BB's. All the BB's will be doing is taking up space that the C02 would fill, which means less space for C02, more pressure=quicker bang etc etc. I'm sure you know that yourself.

So his suggestion is still helpful, once used without BB's. Also I've had one blow up in my hand a few times, it's a bit cold, but thats its. It's not that "stupid and dangerous" ;)

So his suggestion is still helpful. Also I've had one blow up in my hand a few times, it's a bit cold, but thats its. It's not that "stupid and dangerous" ;)
    Well considering I've had a Thunder B full of BBs lobbed into a room where I was and then had a few hundred BB's travelling at 500fps, blast me in the face and actually knock my glasses off slightly, its just asking for someone to get hurt or suffer an eye injury. Especially as some airsofters use glasses that aren't designed for BB strikes over one joule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭!!DAR!!

as said in a post before powder.
    i personally dont use them as i use zoxna's.
    a friend said if you put a small bit of water in it, maby half way. it will blow better.
    (dont try this indoors as people ,equipment and floors get wet.)

water actually does work really well :)

i taught it might. never got the chance to try it myself.
    but don't try it in doors lol.
    im sure theres loads of stuff that you could fill it with .
    talc, water, dirt?

• Advertisement

the only problem i found with water is the housing for the co2 canister freezes shut,so it can be a bit tricky unscrewing it to refill, flour and bb's work great :)

ye but as said in a previous post the bb's come out at over the joule.
    so illegal and painfull so you shouldn't.
    i was thinking the water would freeze but if its a once off thing im sure you could wait until you melt the ice of it.

suggestion:
    you could also try make some sort of rubber ring that fix's to the part the co2 cans go into.just something to take up more room and that wont come off and hurt or blind somebody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

the only problem i found with water is the housing for the co2 canister freezes shut,so it can be a bit tricky unscrewing it to refill, flour and bb's work great :)

bbs bad sat a thunder b in with a few radar chronos in work as to get readings from it well over the joule=illegal bbs work poo

i get ya DAR ill try that and let ya know how itworks :)

i get ya DAR ill try that and let ya know how itworks :)

i think it will be hard enough to make but if it works, you have to print or write my name on it as a trademark lol.
    just something about 2 cm. thick and just wide enough to fit in a shell

its a deal haha.cheers man

happy to be of help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

had a couple problems with the duds myself,the solution that works for me that hasnt failed yet is.............fill the soundflash shell 3/4 way full with bb's,

I've seen this in a few places :eek:

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Well considering I've had a Thunder B full of BBs lobbed into a room where I was and then had a few hundred BB's travelling at 500fps, blast me in the face and actually knock my glasses off slightly, its just asking for someone to get hurt or suffer an eye injury. Especially as some airsofters use glasses that aren't designed for BB strikes over one joule.

as leftyflip said its pretty dangerous and i dont think ill be letting anyone do it to me soon or anyone else.

someone also said they put one in with a few radar crono's and it was over the joule .
    so that makes it illegal.

• Advertisement

the only reason i tried this was because i said it to the shop i get my thunder b's from and scoring the shell was their suggestion,thats why i didnt think it was that bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

the only reason i tried this was because i said it to the shop i get my thunder b's from and scoring the shell was their suggestion,thats why i didnt think it was that bad

yeah scoring the shell is fine filling it with bb's isnt

Just to sum up:

Wrapping plumbers tape around all the screw bits (especially the shell), putting a one cent coin or a piece of paper in under the C02 canister, and scoring the shell all worked perfectly. Used 6 in a full days gaming today (or yesterday I should say technically) and not one of them misfired using the above techniques.

Thanks for the help lads :)

(Also: Don't use BB's in them as andy_g and leftyfilp pointed out, they're over the limit when propelled out= super ninja bb's= illegal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Naked Nutcase

This really worked thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Banana-rama

Hi,

Hope someone can help with this! I just have a thing for grenades...don't we all!!!...and was wondering if these THUNDER B's are any good?

I have bought some crap in the past! But are these expensive to use for a while, or do they deteriorate over time? And is it possible to change the length of the fuse/delay?

Any other suggestions, in addition to the foregoing, would be much appreciated!!!

CHeers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Hi,

Hope someone can help with this! I just have a thing for grenades...don't we all!!!...and was wondering if these THUNDER B's are any good?

I have bought some crap in the past! But are these expensive to use for a while, or do they deteriorate over time? And is it possible to change the length of the fuse/delay?

Any other suggestions, in addition to the foregoing, would be much appreciated!!!

CHeers...

dude - seriously - just read the thread!

then use the search function and read some more - this has ALL been covered many, MANY times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Maybe someone could make a sticky like the Mac 11 thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

I know you are all complaining about people putting in BB's into their Thunder's, but that isn't the half of it.

Its grand to put in some flour or water(must try myself), but until you have heard the stories form some hardcore people, you may wish it would only be BB's in the shell.

Just to give you a hint, the stories I am talking about involve very disgusting methods to reuse your dogs dinner. After the dog has eaten it if you know what I mean

J.D.R wrote: »
    I know you are all complaining about people putting in BB's into their Thunder's, but that isn't the half of it.

Its grand to put in some flour or water(must try myself), but until you have heard the stories form some hardcore people, you may wish it would only be BB's in the shell.

Just to give you a hint, the stories I am talking about involve very disgusting methods to reuse your dogs dinner. After the dog has eaten it if you know what I mean
    What an interesting way to revive a thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

I saw it and I just couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭gian

have 3 of them but keeps on detonating at around 7-9secs im really annoyed with it..
    check this vid thats a good delay time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZfJdTrO2so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 DuzAwe

Useful as they are, they tend to misfire a lot(as in they don't go bang). I have four of them, so I know it's not a problem with just one.

I was wondering if anyone had any fixs or tricks as to remedy this.

Hey KonFusion
    After some digging around on the web, I have found that plumbers tape and vaseline used together with a scored canister and screwed till it almost pops of the thread is the only way to make it bang consistently but it's still not a given that they will pop.

Get yourself a Tornado they always go pop and its 20 euro to get the bang conversion kit.

Just to sum up:

Wrapping plumbers tape around all the screw bits (especially the shell), putting a one cent coin or a piece of paper in under the C02 canister, and scoring the shell all worked perfectly. Used 6 in a full days gaming today (or yesterday I should say technically) and not one of them misfired using the above techniques.

Thanks for the help lads :)

(Also: Don't use BB's in them as andy_g and leftyfilp pointed out, they're over the limit when propelled out= super ninja bb's= illegal)

sounds stupid anyway when they are rattling like a packet of skittles.
    i mean a high cap mag is enough to give your position away already, why not a bb filled thunder b? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭roryk1

no problems with mine after i put a 2cent piece under the co2 :Dcanister

roryk1 wrote: »
    no problems with mine after i put a 2cent piece under the co2 :Dcanister

i will try this method sounds to me that its really effective, what was your delay time then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭roryk1

took bout 6 secs also to shorten use crushed chalk 1/4 fill i like makin people look like smurfs:D:D:D

i did the coin thing and it worked but the 2nd time i had a misfire i dunno why anyway does anyone knows how the thing works? because maybe we can then pinpoint the problem, if the co2 escapes from the black screw on the top to fill the shell like i thought then maybe not screwing it too tight might solve it... just a theory though.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

i have a problem with mine too. i haven't tried any of the above suggestions yet but apparently the scoring and filling with flour works. also you have to bare in mind the thread could be damaged if you tighten too much so i would say thread insulation tape rather than tightening it til it nearly comes of the tape. it takes a full canister for the cover to blow so the smallest leak and well you don't get your bang for your buck:D:D. another thing i wanted to ask you all was how do you find your grenades after you chuck them and can't pick them up straight away. do you use high vis material or pant or what. i only ask because i only have used my grenades in the warehouse.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

What Irish shop supplies these?

m.i.a have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mr.jailbait

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    i have a problem with mine too. i haven't tried any of the above suggestions yet but apparently the scoring and filling with flour works. also you have to bare in mind the thread could be damaged if you tighten too much so i would say thread insulation tape rather than tightening it til it nearly comes of the tape. it takes a full canister for the cover to blow so the smallest leak and well you don't get your bang for your buck:D:D. another thing i wanted to ask you all was how do you find your grenades after you chuck them and can't pick them up straight away. do you use high vis material or pant or what. i only ask because i only have used my grenades in the warehouse.:)
    was in my friends yard recently,set one off and the core took off
    half an hour of looking and no joy:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement