Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

online dating etiquette

Options
  • 03-12-2007 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

have just recently decided to give it a go and am not quite sure about the rules (if there are any)

i'm a girl in my late twenties and not too bad looking so i got swamped with responses and i've quite a lot on at the moment so i can't really spend hours every day answering messages, checking peoples profiles etc

anyway, am i supposed to answer everyone, even if it's just a short 'Hi' message that i got, do i have to say why i'm not interested, why do people think just because i haven't answered on the same day that im not interested, and how long do people text and chat before meeting, and why do guys from the other side of ireland who're thirty years older than i am reply?

anyone here who can help me?

btw, i'm normally a really nice person and i don't want to upset people but this was supposed to be fun not stress...

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

if there is profiles write back to the ones you find interesting, you will probably also get a load of weirdos so i doubt you need to write back to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭girlwitcurls

i have found my true love online so i would really recommend it!obviously it was not all plain sailing i meet lovely people but wit no chemistry so new friends and people i just didnt like but after that i met this amazing genuine hunk who makes my heart skip a beat.anyway the way i did it is i joined two sites and any message longer than hi maybe a little original that grapped myattention that had a photo i replied to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Oflynna wrote: »
    have just recently decided to give it a go and am not quite sure about the rules (if there are any)
    Never tried it myself so I'm not sure if there are any rules but:
    Oflynna wrote:
    i'm a girl in my late twenties and not too bad looking so i got swamped with responses and i've quite a lot on at the moment so i can't really spend hours every day answering messages, checking peoples profiles etc

anyway, am i supposed to answer everyone,
    I wouldn't think so, lets face it, do you reply to all the spam mail you get in your e-mail/letterpost? If you don't reply they'll just take it as you're not interested or perhaps never even logged back in.
    Oflynna wrote:
    even if it's just a short 'Hi' message that i got, do i have to say why i'm not interested,
    Again, I wouldn't think so as if they can't take the time to type a bit more I'd assume that they're throwing "Hi" messages out to every XX on the site.
    Oflynna wrote:
    why do people think just because i haven't answered on the same day that im not interested
    Guess they're just impatient, perhaps have a rejection complex or something.:confused:
    Oflynna wrote:
    and why do guys from the other side of ireland who're thirty years older than i am reply?
    The idiotic belief that you must be there out of desparation and so maybe they can take advantage... creepy guys unfortunately do make up a significant portion of the internet population...:(
    I'd definitely say you shouldn't respond to these in case you only encourage them, sounds terrible but I do know girls (only on-line) who've gotten a lot of harassment from guys just because they are girls and the lads were that sad.:(

Hopefully you'll manage to enjoy the on-line chatting and dating and won't get any hassle from ass-h*les (if their behaviour is rude in real life it's probably rude on-line).

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Well, watch your drinks, Dont get into a complete mess, Arrange for a friend to have an "emergancy" call if you need to bail. Dont accept a lift home unless you feel totally conforatble
    and have fun

usual comman sence tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just respond to the messages that seem serious, it'd be rude not to. Even just to say Thanks, but I don't think we are compatible.
    Meet for coffee/drinks in a public place and have fun.
    You can arrange to meet during a week night at 7 or so and just stay for an hour, blame work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

not really rules, but it works similar to real life.... how many guys do you see looking / smiling at you on a night out? And how many of those would ya even think of talking to?

The online dating just makes it easier to say hi :) nothing more (even if they know they're not your match like the 30yr older galway fellas, they'll chance it anyway)

I've done the online dating thing a few times and met a very mixed bunch (wonderful to psycho and back again ;) )

Being a bloke it doesnt happen very often than women make first contact (same as real life, yet again) so i do try to reply if I can.... but conversations like below get tiring quickly:

her: 'hi how r u?'
    me: *reads profile of her being bubbly and loving her family (i.e. no info to go on)* and reply ' I'm great, how was ur weekend.... i did X Y or Z'
    her: 'doing great'
    me: '?' conversation end

And as you're a female I'm certain that u will be receiving a lot weirder opening emails of the 'i think ur hot' kind...... just think of them as the bunch that just leer / stare at ya in the night club

btw, i'm normally a really nice person and i don't want to upset people but this was supposed to be fun not stress...

Exactly, so reply to ones that send an interesting first email and/or have an interesting profile with/without picture.

Its only a different way of meeting people that you would never meet otherwise (because of location, vocation, etc, etc)

Someone who'd get upset over a non-response to an email would be immature in real life too.... not worth the effort to be nice to them all

I had a profile on a site and got all kinds of messages, some from spammers/ tricksters and some genuine. Those I always respond to, even just to say no thanks.
    The ones I don't like I can just block (there's an option to do this) and they can't contact me again.

The online dating just makes it easier to say hi :) nothing more (even if they know they're not your match like the 30yr older galway fellas, they'll chance it anyway)
    Galway, where you get that from? OP could be anywhere, not just in the pale.
    Unless you're cyber stalking :p

personally id prefer someone to not reply rather than saying no thanks

• Advertisement

That's odd. Don't you want closure?

wat i meant is if i mailed someone that i liked there profile id prefer them not to reply at all rather than say no thanks cause it would feel like rejection

biko wrote: »
    Galway, where you get that from? OP could be anywhere, not just in the pale.
    Unless you're cyber stalking :p

whoops didnt read that profile roight :p other side of country = galway for moi :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

I tried the whole internet dating thing. I'm a pretty good guy, witty, smart, good natured, modest ;) but to be honest, I found the whole thing to be a waste of time. I sent messages to profiles I found interesting. But 95% of the time I got nothing in the way of any reply. Even a 'no thanks' would have been nice. I did it myself when I got a contact request I wasn't interested in. It's just courteous.
    The only advice I can give is send something as a reply. It's not easy putting yourself out there. And while there is a certain amount of anonymity doing this kinda thing on the net, it still smarts a little when you get ignored. But hey, that's probably just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

It is the same as 'real life'
    if ypu think they are interesting and attractive then reply.
    if you don't think they are your type then maybe a polite response say
    thanks but no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MissThing

I've decided to join an internet dating site - feel all nervous about it as well.
    I'm going to go for one where you pay a fee, on the grounds that free profiles are voyeurs and those people who pay to use the site may be more genuine..... Now which one to choose....any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I was just about to ask the same question! It would be good to find a relatively serious site where it's not just messin'. I have never done this and I'm not in any rush to, but it's something I might consider in due course.

the only pay site I ever used was rsvp.ie, but like most of them it has lotsa free members that you can see (and as paying member contact) but they cant read nor send messages, unless they start paying too.

Only good thing about it was the chatroom which was paying members only (afcourse) and was lively at the time.

Only had one first date from there, but did end up going out with her for a year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i have found my true love online so i would really recommend it!obviously it was not all plain sailing i meet lovely people but wit no chemistry so new friends and people i just didnt like but after that i met this amazing genuine hunk who makes my heart skip a beat.anyway the way i did it is i joined two sites and any message longer than hi maybe a little original that grapped myattention that had a photo i replied to!
    i too would recommend online dating i,ve also found my true love online, online dating is becoming more common place these days with people having careers and very little social time to meet someone or is probably just too shy to meet up with sumone in a night club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I tried it recently, and as a guy my experience was pretty much the same as Petey2006. I sent off a fair few polite introductory messages to the girls that seemed nice but got zero responses.

The female profiles on the sites are all like "just looking for a nice guy / fed up of night clubs" etc but I think once they start getting messages from dozens of guys, they turn into little miss picky pants. :p Or maybe I'm just bitter!

So if you're a girl and willing to put up a cute picture, you should definitely try it - for the confidence boost if nothing else. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement