Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Game of Thrones' Renewed for 2 more seasons!

• 08-04-2014 9:27pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

'Game of Thrones' has (not remotely surprisingly) been renewed. Even better it's a two season renewal. From the link above the premier of season four got HBO's highest ratings in seven years so the renewal was a foregone conclusion, although two seasons is quite a commitment.

The two seasons should probably get them through the next couple of books so pressure is now on for George R. R. Martin to get cracking on material for the following books!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

ixoy wrote: »

The two seasons should probably get them through the next couple of books so pressure is now on for George R. R. Martin to get cracking on material for the following books!

They should have renewed it for 4 seasons to really pile the pressure on...

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

If they follow through on their seven season plan, isn't there a real chance they could wrap before the last book? How would that even work? I know GRRM gave them an ending, so could we end up in the weird situation where the show spoils the books?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

If they follow through on their seven season plan, isn't there a real chance they could wrap before the last book? How would that even work? I know GRRM gave them an ending, so could we end up in the weird situation where the show spoils the books?

See here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057145407

I think it's pretty much a forgone conclusion at this point that the show will overtake the books in the next couple of years. Especially since The Winds of Winter isn't due until sometime next year.

The show runners also know how everything is meant to end (or at least how GRRM currently plans for it to end). This is bound to inform the plot lines of the coming seasons so I'd imagine that spoilers will, sooner or later, start to creep in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

the premier of season four got HBO's highest ratings in seven years

Imagine how high it would have been if all those people who stopped watching after the RW were still watching. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Conspiracy theory: Martin doesn't know how to end it and will test it on the TV audience first. If it works well, that's the ending. If not, he'll say "this is how I meant to end it" in the books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

He has three more years to crank out the book he's been working on for four years, or to shuffle off this mortal coil and let someone else finish the series. He should be able to manage at least one book or cardiac arrest by then. (And I don't want him dead!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

He's explicitly stated that he wouldn't want another author to complete the series if he dies so presumably that's not an option...

While he maintains he can wrap it up in 2 books, it seems far more likely (even according to his wife) that it'll take 3 more to finish the series. That narrows the window to 4 years to finish 3 books, and that's based on the assumption that the TV series can finish in 8 rather than their currently planned 7 seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Why doe sit take him so long to write the books anyway. Getting awful impatient here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Conspiracy theory: Martin doesn't know how to end it and will test it on the TV audience first. If it works well, that's the ending. If not, he'll say "this is how I meant to end it" in the books.

It wouldn’t surprise me. After all his complaining about Lost and BSG, I’d say he’s mighty nervous about his own planned ending. Another reason he’ll likely delay the final book as long as possible.

I gave up on the books about a third of the way through book 4, so I don’t really care as long as the show ends well.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

I wonder if there will end up being two entirely different endings for the books and the tv show? It seems likely that hbo will overtake grrm. Surely they could not allow a situation where the tv show gave away the ending before is even written

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

It wouldn’t surprise me. After all his complaining about Lost and BSG, I’d say he’s mighty nervous about his own planned ending. Another reason he’ll likely delay the final book as long as possible.

I gave up on the books about a third of the way through book 4, so I don’t really care as long as the show ends well.

I completed the books but its one of the rare occasions where I find the tv series far superior. I did enjoy the books but they tended to drag quite a bit for me in some areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sleepy wrote: »
    He's explicitly stated that he wouldn't want another author to complete the series if he dies so presumably that's not an option...

While he maintains he can wrap it up in 2 books, it seems far more likely (even according to his wife) that it'll take 3 more to finish the series. That narrows the window to 4 years to finish 3 books, and that's based on the assumption that the TV series can finish in 8 rather than their currently planned 7 seasons.

He should hurry up then, if he doesn't want anyone else taking over his baby then finish the bloody thing off himself :pac: it's not like he's knocking a book a year out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

2 seasons, I would have thought they would have combined the last two books into one season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Pfff that'd cut down on hype and dvd/ad revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Heard a lot of talk about a film being made, including by Martin himself. Glad that's not the case, think a TV series is the only way they'd be able to fit everything in.

Advertisement