Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good gearboxes to work off

Options
  • 18-03-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    Just working on a new build here. I'm wondering if people could point me in the right direction for gearbox parts for a dmr build ( brands, gear ratio etc.) obviously it's mainly going to be on semi so I'd want snappy trigger response with a high torque. Its a v.2 btw. If I left anything out let me know.
    Thanks.
    *excuse the title, I changed my mind half way through and forgot to change the title!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Hi lads,
    Just working on a new build here. I'm wondering if people could point me in the right direction for gearbox parts for a dmr build ( brands, gear ratio etc.) obviously it's mainly going to be on semi so I'd want snappy trigger response with a high torque. Its a v.2 btw. If I left anything out let me know.
    Thanks.
    *excuse the title, I changed my mind half way through and forgot to change the title!

I used a Ultimate gearbox complete with it's insides. Then changed the gears for 13:1 ratio supershooter SHS gears, used a SHS hi torque motor and a raptor mosfet :)

I know there's a certain feeling from building your own GB but these things are bullet proof and the insides are pretty high quality, only down side is that the wiring is really short, so change that

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

T4RGET wrote: »
    I used a Ultimate gearbox complete with it's insides. Then changed the gears for 13:1 ratio supershooter SHS gears, used a SHS hi torque motor and a raptor mosfet :)

I know there's a certain feeling from building your own GB but these things are bullet proof and the insides are pretty high quality, only down side is that the wiring is really short, so change that

Thanks T4RGET,
    If been talking to DP about this and what I think I'll do is build the gearbox mainly from ultimate,parts but then in order to get the fast trigger response I'll have super shooter 13:1 gears along with an undecided AB fet...any recommendations?
    I'll also have a guarder infinite torque motor and a madbull hop up unit. DP also recommended a 50* rubber.
    Thanks for the help.
    Regards, Gearoid

Thanks T4RGET,
    If been talking to DP about this and what I think I'll do is build the gearbox mainly from ultimate,parts but then in order to get the fast trigger response I'll have super shooter 13:1 gears along with an undecided AB fet...any recommendations?
    I'll also have a guarder infinite torque motor and a madbull hop up unit. DP also recommended a 50* rubber.
    Thanks for the help.
    Regards, Gearoid

seem like pretty decent parts all in all :) now to find out if they'll work together but that remains to be seen which is the main problem with project builds.
    AS for a 'FET i have no experience with them sorry mate. I got the raptor back when it was still the new kid on the block and it just does what i need it to :)

The madbull unit, is it a 3in1 by any chance?
    And when you say 50degrees? is it a madbull as well? fom personal experience I've found a standard green G&G hop up rubber to work just as well as any aftermarket rubber. But again you may find it works better with your parts

seem like pretty decent parts all in all :) now to find out if they'll work together but that remains to be seen which is the main problem with project builds.
    AS for a 'FET i have no experience with them sorry mate. I got the raptor back when it was still the new kid on the block and it just does what i need it to :)

The madbull unit, is it a 3in1 by any chance?
    And when you say 50degrees? is it a madbull as well? fom personal experience I've found a standard green G&G hop up rubber to work just as well as any aftermarket rubber. But again you may find it works better with your parts

Yes it is the 3-1 although i dont plan on getting the tracer. As for the rubber, DP recommended a 50* but the exact one is still to be chosen. I use g&g greens atm I find them great so I'll probably just play around with some different rubbers. After all theyre not too expensive.
    I hope they all work together but before I order I'll try make sure they do, last thing I want is to be almost done and having a pesky little part not going into place!
    Thanks.
    Regards, Gearoid

Yes it is the 3-1 although i dont plan on getting the tracer. As for the rubber, DP recommended a 50* but the exact one is still to be chosen. I use g&g greens atm I find them great so I'll probably just play around with some different rubbers. After all theyre not too expensive.
    I hope they all work together but before I order I'll try make sure they do, last thing I want is to be almost done and having a pesky little part not going into place!
    Thanks.
    Regards, Gearoid

I'll be very surprised if it all goes together without any issues with parts not fitting mate. I had massive problems with barrels and stock tubes and especially fake bolts and charging handles. Don't mean to put you off just honest advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Any of the GATE mosfets are great units.
    Here's one of their AB mosfets
    or
    If you want a really small one, there's this one.

I'll be very surprised if it all goes together without any issues with parts not fitting mate. I had massive problems with barrels and stock tubes and especially fake bolts and charging handles. Don't mean to put you off just honest advice :)

I suppose I was being a bit too optimistic in thinking that I wouldn't have any issues. Ill have to go off and do some more research on parts, mosfets, barrels etc. and then ill come back with a list of parts.
    Thanks for all your help. Really appreciate it.
    Gearoid

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Any of the GATE mosfets are great units.
    Here's one of their AB mosfets
    or
    If you want a really small one, there's this one.

Thanks, I hadn't actually heard of the company GATE before now. I'll have a good look through their website
    Gearoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Thanks, I hadn't actually heard of the company GATE before now. I'll have a good look through their website
    Gearoid.

I second GATE, Cheap, cheerfull and does precisely what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I second GATE, Cheap, cheerfull and does precisely what it says on the tin.

Fantastic customer service too in my experience!

• Advertisement
Advertisement