Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible move to Galway

Options
  • 02-02-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi gang,

How are you all? This is my first post and probably the most important.

My fiancee and I are thinking of moving in the next year. We are currently living in Derry and at the moment unemployed. I am from Sligo originally and my fiancee is English, we are thinking of moving because of the current UK government's austerity measures will soon be introduced to Northern Ireland one way or the other. If we were to move to England we would have to pay Bedroom Tax, Council Tax etc and probably have to live on £112.50 (€137) a week and we would be out a lot more money transporting our belongings over but the main advantage is that my fiancee's family are over there.

Anyways I m rambling, my fiancee's only stipulation is that we are near the sea and I know Salthill isn't to far away. I also know that Galway is a good transport hub having both a train and bus station, I also know it has a good social scene but the most important questions are

What areas should be avoided?
    What are the chances of getting jobs?
    What is the average prices for accommodation in the city and outside?

Hope you can help :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway post recession isn't a great spot for jobs. It's a small town with a big uptake from surrounding counties.
    If you have any special skills, particularly within IT, it's easier.

For accommodation, the website daft.ie is the best place to find houses and rooms and prices.
    There isn't any particular areas to avoid (if you are looking at houses you can post locations here and someone will give feedback) but anywhere between Salthill and city centre would be extra nice (and thus more expensive).
    What's your rental budget in Euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kerri36982

Thanks Biko

I know Galway is seen as a hub for Mayo, Roscommon & Clare people. My fiancee is a photographer (quite a good one) and ideally she would like to do that or Counseling whereas my background is Admin in the Northern Ireland Civil Service (Agricultural Dept) and voluntary sector so we would look for work in those areas ideally.

Budget wise we are looking at a min of €100 & max of €180 per week in an apartment or flat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

what type of jobs are you looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://classifieds.advertiser.ie has both jobs and houses listed.
    The city jobs thread has posts, mostly about shop staff and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Well nice apartments in Salthill are really going to be at the high end of your budget. But do remember that nowhere in Galway city is really that far from the sea. So Knocknacara, Roscam for example or somewhere in Renmore might suit.

It's also a bit of a landlord's market too. So apartments get snapped up quickly.

Don't know about jobs. But obviously public service type jobs are going to be thin on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

folbotcar wrote: »
    Well nice apartments in Salthill are really going to be at the high end of your budget. But do remember that nowhere in Galway city is really that far from the sea. So Knocknacara, Roscam for example or somewhere in Renmore might suit.

Ahh, given "Budget wise we are looking at a min of €100 & max of €180 per week in an apartment or flat. " - I'm assuming that's between them, and not each - then i would say that the low end would get them a room in a house-share. and the high-end might just get them an apartment somewhere - but not overly nice, and not in Salthill.

Remember, 1brm apartments are scare, and 2brms are unlikely to be less that E800/month - many are quite a bit more.

Seriously OP - Dublin is close to the sea too, and there are a hell of a lot more jobs there. Paid work in the fields you listed in next-to-non-existent in galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Seriously OP - Dublin is close to the sea too, and there are a hell of a lot more jobs there. Paid work in the fields you listed in next-to-non-existent in galway.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. While the jobs market has lifted a lot in Dublin, there is very little work going in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kerri36982

Thanks everyone

Everything is up in the air at the moment as we are not sure what is happening. We are both applying for jobs up here and obviously if we do get some it will be great and be able to tie us over.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Remember, 1brm apartments are scare, and 2brms are unlikely to be less that E800/month - many are quite a bit more.

Nice two-bedroom places in a good areas Galway can sometimes be found for approximately €700, but it has become harder to find such places over the last year or two...

Advertisement