Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pros and cons of becoming a DP

• 04-08-2014 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Seems to be plenty of vancancies for DP's at the moment,,, but with the extra work load and less holidays and the government taking 60% of the extra allowance. If you had to balance the pros and cons is it worth it? Is it short term pain for long term gain?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its a great chance to make a difference, to put into practice any changes you think are good. Its seeing the reality of parents and kids and not just the classroom. But yes it is more time and slightly less holidays. At end of it, if u don't like it, go back teaching as its a post in the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

On the allowances link

http://www.tui.ie/pay-and-conditions/salary-scales-.1578.html#DEPUTY

is that related to full time teachers in the school or the actual amount of teachers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

its the number of WTE teachers i.e pupil numbers / PTR plus any ex quota posts.

it is a change in role, more time, extra pay depends on school size. if you're looking at it purely from a money point of view you probably will regret it as once you go over 65k you'll have a further paycut under the glorious HRA.

as the driver says you get to change things for the better. it is very rewarding, just don't let the job take over your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

Yep financially it is not worth it from doing the sums ..so it depends on is the role more fulfilling than teaching...that I would like to hear feedback on !!!! I think HRA has pushed more work on DPs and P's and some are clearly taking the early retirement option..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It is very rewarding, and very exciting job. Each day brings something new and definitely worth a try. I find my day is busy but i leave at 4.30 and don't bring work home unless sorting out subs.
    being p however is different cup of tea, been there done that and didn't like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,974 ✭✭✭doc_17

TheDriver wrote: »
    It is very rewarding, and very exciting job. Each day brings something new and definitely worth a try. I find my day is busy but i leave at 4.30 and don't bring work home unless sorting out subs.
    being p however is different cup of tea, been there done that and didn't like it

Were you an acting principal? Or did you accept a principal job and then give it up?

Advertisement