Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what should male pme teachers wear

• 24-07-2014 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

I will be doing the PME this year in school. I am a male in my mid twenties but look young. What sort of clothes should I be wearing going into the classroom. should I wear the tie or leave it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Depends on school in general but i always recommend professional attire so trousers and shirt, maybe tie. Just coz you can wear jeans or long term staff do doesn't mean its right for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Neither male nor management but the male dip and young teachers in schools i have worked in tend to wear a smart jumper and or a shirt. Some wear a tie but it made some baby face people look younger. Def would avoid jeans even if others wear them. My dip inspector was very vocal about that and black skinny jeans are much less conspicuous on a woman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Some dip students in the last couple of years in particular are wearing some very modern atire, personally I think this makes them stand out as being very young, I have always worn a shirt and pants and a proper jumper if needed, the tie used to be in, in the schools I have been in but the majority of teachers don't wear ties any more.
    I don't see the need for a tie a shirt and pants are fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

trousers + fitted shirt from Next will do fine. smart cazh. Beware though, theyve started to leave out buttons on some shirts so you have to do cufflinks which is a pain to do on your own if in a rush.

Buy 5 and rotate.

Then suit and plain tie for PTM...

keep things plain... no wierd patterns..

good leather shoes too as you are going to be standing for the rest of your life.. Clarkes (bit dear but will last a long time) or Go to large M&S too ..bit cheaper but reasonable quality for smart cazh.
    At least one Brown and one black...again ..no wierd designs/tassles/buckles/spurs...Keep it plain enough..smart cazh..

Smart cazh...

Unless of course you are PE teacher ....tracksuits all the way
    Business teacher...you gotta be sooo money.
    Art teacher... I better stop right there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Armelodie wrote: »
    Unless of course you are PE teacher ....tracksuits all the way
    Business teacher...you gotta be sooo money.
    Art teacher... I better stop right there

And the striped t-shirt and beret for the French teacher :D

I have been teaching for a while and I would never wear jeans - its just me but I like to look professional - keep the jeans for the weekend. I always wear a shirt/jumper (depending on weather) and trousers. I would recommend ecco shoes - also expensive but you need good shoes as you will be standing for a long time.

I would never wear a suit for ptm meeting - I wear what I have on that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Buy some slacks
    Black, grey, light grey & kakhi chinos
    5-6 shirts
    Some ties
    A blazer or two
    2 pairs of shoes
    Brogues are good, one black & one brown.

Avoid jeans & non collared tops

And the striped t-shirt and beret for the French teacher :D

I have been teaching for a while and I would never wear jeans - its just me but I like to look professional - keep the jeans for the weekend. I always wear a shirt/jumper (depending on weather) and trousers. I would recommend ecco shoes - also expensive but you need good shoes as you will be standing for a long time.

I would never wear a suit for ptm meeting - I wear what I have on that day.

Dress down fridays????Black jeans (no blue) But with smart shirt..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Dress down fridays????Black jeans (no blue) But with smart shirt..

With the exception of these days / charity jeans day etc.

Yes you could definitely get away with black jeans but personally I wouldn't. You can wear what's comfortable for you. I did wear jeans before I qualified but when we had the talk before teaching practice they advised trousers - so I did and have never worn jeans since (in school obviously).

I remember when I was in school, the teachers dressed smart but I do remember a 'young fella' coming in with his suit and a leather satchel - he got some stick from the wise guys in the school.

As an aside, I remember when I started school, I used to wear a tie but one of the seniors told me not to wear it as I would be hung on the coat hooks - that was the last of the tie :D

True about the mod thing, it can be age identifying. Formal shirts from penneys or Debenhams etc and trousers. Avoid black jeans as it is jeans. I wear a suit everyday due to my role but its doesn't feel awful like it initially did

TheDriver wrote: »
    True about the mod thing, it can be age identifying. Formal shirts from penneys or Debenhams etc and trousers. Avoid black jeans as it is jeans. I wear a suit everyday due to my role but its doesn't feel awful like it initially did

I just mentioned the black jeans thing in relation to going 'crazy' on dress down fridays... I'm not allowed jeans any other day :(

Ya check the cotton vs' polyester content in the shirts, a lot of the cheaper shirts with a high polyester content can make you sweat like crazy. Also the glossy/shiny polyester ones can look pretty faded and shrink after a few washes .
    Cotton as much as possible...

Also consider the pullovers in the winter when it gets cold.. The ones with the mock shirt are handy (again... no crazy patterns to distract the kids).

Check out the other guys in August during the very important staff meetings (but remember to nod furiously while your principal is talking, and raise an eyebrow when someone from the staff goes off on one).

Are you taking all this down young man? There will be a test at the end of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

TheDriver wrote: »
    I wear a suit everyday due to my role but its doesn't feel awful like it initially did

Ok so clearly you didnt WANT to wear a suit as DP but did you feel you SHOULD or you HAD TO ?I find this recent emphasis on teachers' attire most distasteful ,no doubt it's originated from TC .
    Youd think we would have learned after the last decade that 'suit / smart clothes' do not equate to 'worthy of respect'.
    Personally I'd consider us far closer to social workers than solicitors / estate agents etc .
    Trying to 'dress above' people does not make you better than them or inherently more likely/able to 'control them' in my opinion .Of course I wore the sappy slacks and 'black' shoes when I was a HDip / NQT -and all the teachers around me wore jeans !Now I find the opposite ,maybe Im just an anarchist !?The majority of schools today have some kind of christian 'ethos' .Jesus would NOT be wearing a suit if he turned up in your school .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

2011abc wrote: »
    Ok so clearly you didnt WANT to wear a suit as DP but did you feel you SHOULD or you HAD TO ?I find this recent emphasis on teachers' attire most distasteful ,no doubt it's originated from TC .
    Youd think we would have learned after the last decade that 'suit / smart clothes' do not equate to 'worthy of respect'.
    Personally I'd consider us far closer to social workers than solicitors / estate agents etc .
    Trying to 'dress above' people does not make you better than them or inherently more likely/able to 'control them' in my opinion .Of course I wore the sappy slacks and 'black' shoes when I was a HDip / NQT -and all the teachers around me wore jeans !Now I find the opposite ,maybe Im just an anarchist !?The majority of schools today have some kind of christian 'ethos' .Jesus would NOT be wearing a suit if he turned up in your school .

Seriously, what is your problem? So many of your posts just go on the attack about everything on this forum.

The position of Acting DP came up in my school last year for a few months and it was known that it was onlyl for a few months. The teacher that got it would normally wear a jumper and shirt to school with a pair of trousers. For the couple of months he was acting DP he wore a suit each day.

It wasn't a case of him attempting to dress above the rest of us, in fact when he got the post, we were winding him up that he would have a excuse to go clothes shopping that weekend! What is useful about the suit is that the students see the principal and DP in suits every day. They recognise them as the 'uniform' of senior management in the school, and wearing a suit to school marked out this teacher's new role within the school as a managerial role, which marked out the responsibilities that came with it and also his authority in certain situations and not just as a regular teacher.

For a parent or visitor to the school who don't happen to land at lunch or some other busy time, it is easy to pick out who is likely to be P/DP based on the fact that they are wearing suits. It has some very practical uses, none of which equate to looking down on anyone else.

I wear jeans to school a lot, they are clean, neat, not trailing along the ground and frayed at the ends. Sometimes I choose to wear a dress. Overall my staffroom is quite casual but we wouldn't think anything of anyone who chose to dress more formally. One of my friends said a girl started working with them a few years ago and came in wearing tracksuit bottoms with Abercrombie across the arse. Those tracksuits are only designed to focus on one thing and staff or students didn't think it was appropriate clothing for school.

"Attack the post , not the poster " ?It seems here ,as in our school and society in general those who quote the rules are most likely to break them . As for being an angry guy , not having enough angry guys has led us like lambs to the slaughter to the place we're in now .Theres a world of difference between giving advice on what to wear and TELLING people / teachers what to wear - just like the difference between consulting with teachers before implementing new JC and completely ignoring them .
    Everyone realises the OP should wear the slacks because he's at the bottom of the food chain ( and it IS a jungle out there)and doesn't want to do anything other than make the best possible 'impression'. But to tell 'established' teachers who have dressed a certain way for decades that they should change is controlling nonsense .

"Attack the post , not the poster " ?It seems here ,as in our school and society in general those who quote the rules are most likely to break them . As for being an angry guy , not having enough angry guys has led us like lambs to the slaughter to the place we're in now .Theres a world of difference between giving advice on what to wear and TELLING people / teachers what to wear - just like the difference between consulting with teachers before implementing new JC and completely ignoring them .
    Everyone realises the OP should wear the slacks because he's at the bottom of the food chain ( and it IS a jungle out there)and doesn't want to do anything other than make the best possible 'impression'. But to tell 'established' teachers who have dressed a certain way for decades that they should change is controlling nonsense .

I didn't see anyone telling anyone to wear specific clothing. I saw posts where teachers were 'recommended' to wear more formal clothing.

The only post on this thread that said otherwise is where Armelodie said they weren't allowed to wear jeans. I don't have a major problem with this. Some schools have a dress code, just like other places of work.

Teachers should wear specific clothes to a degree. I don't wean full suits or gowns but smart casual should be the norm. I wear black skinny jeans but with a smart top or blouse and smart shoes. Jeans are not allowed where I work but black jeans seem to be ok. One school I know of introduced a no jeans rule because of 2 members of staff who wore light denim with runners and coloured jeans with converse. Neither screams professional. Nor do tracksuit bottoms on a non pe teacher.same school had to ask a staff member to wear tights with her short short skirts and sky high heels. Most management seem to wear suits. Mine has been seen in jeans but with a shirt and tie. Still looks smart but not instantly identifiable as management to visitors and parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Who's telling us "established" what to wear?

Our principal amongst many others by the sound of it with their 'dress code'.

vamos! wrote: »
    smart casual should be the norm.

Very open minded indeed...

vamos! wrote: »
    Most management seem to wear suits. Mine has been seen in jeans but with a shirt and tie. Still looks smart but not instantly identifiable as management to visitors and parents.

So if the secretary introduced the principal to a parent and s/he wasnt in a suit they would be likely to stare in disbelief?

Our principal amongst many others by the sound of it with their 'dress code'.

OP wants advice,

OP gets 2 advice,

1. Some type of smart cazh, semi formal clothing
    2. Wear whatever you like.

If OP wanted option 2. then why the need to ask here?

• Advertisement

So if the secretary introduced the principal to a parent and s/he wasnt in a suit they would be likely to stare in disbelief?

Not what I said. I really don't think management should be compelled to wear a suit. I would be a step more formal if I were management tho. I Would also like to be allowed wear blue jeans. I think they can be smart if styled correctly. I don't think smart clothes make a good teacher but we are professionals and need to appear as such. Managers in supermarkets wear suits and most retail, hospitality and tourism jobs don't allow staff wear runners. Why should we? I know we don't work in the bank or in the courts but there is no need to turn up to work in civvies and a hoodie mp a bodycon dress and stilettos. Weekend clothes for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

it can be hard to stick a full sleeve shirt in this weather. would it be normal to wear a half sleeve shirt.

next question - should I wear the tie or leave it.

mengele wrote: »
    it can be hard to stick a full sleeve shirt in this weather. would it be normal to wear a half sleeve shirt.

next question - should I wear the tie or leave it.

I would say a short sleeve shirt is fine. There won't be too many days where it's absolutely baking and you're in school.

The tie can be overkill to be honest. The kids will know you are a student teacher. If you are wearing a shirt, trousers, jumper, shoes you are in pretty formal work clothes anyway. Of course if the done thing is for male staff to wear a tie in the school or you are recommended to by the principal/your teaching practice superviser then it would make sense to go with that.

Cords, shirt and jumper is popular combination for the male staff in my school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Every school will vary a bit. I've been in staffroom a which were very formal and others fairly casual. If I were you OP I would err on the side of formal while a student teacher and certainly for the first week while you suss it out just bear in mind that dress codes aren't generally in force during the first few days during talks/meetings etc. hence the advice to go formal for at least a week!

Cords, shirt and jumper is popular combination for the male staff in my school.

Cords!!! Goddam hippies ... :)

As regards tie, I wore one for first week then ditched it as no-one else was wearing one...felt like a prat for bailing. I think , start as you mean to go on.

If you go down the path of tie you must intend to stay on the path of tie.

I think in certain american companies (who have dress code to a tee) short sleeves is ok as long as they dont show yer biceps.

I think a dress code is a good thing, I once saw a teacher wearing a hoodie with a playboy bunny logo on it!! She couldn't see anything wrong with it either...very sad.

Cords!!! Goddam hippies ... :)

As regards tie, I wore one for first week then ditched it as no-one else was wearing one...felt like a prat for bailing. I think , start as you mean to go on.

If you go down the path of tie you must intend to stay on the path of tie.

I think in certain american companies (who have dress code to a tee) short sleeves is ok as long as they dont show yer biceps.

I think a dress code is a good thing, I once saw a teacher wearing a hoodie with a playboy bunny logo on it!! She couldn't see anything wrong with it either...very sad.

I always thought you were female!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I always thought you were male!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Sometimes I love boards :)

Ahhhh, what's wrong with a female wearing male clothes and giving a man advice anyhow? Don't say nothing about that in the 'dress code'... :pac:

Ya I know the username was just what I was listening to at the time,, the 'ie' is not descriptive!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I wear jeans most days with a belt, nice shoes and a nice shirt.

I'd never really wear ties.

Who are the male teachers on here?

I always thought you were male!

Sorry to disappoint!!!

A good proportion of males in my school wear ties and they would be permanent etc, its entirely their choice. Likewise there are a good number who don't. Culture of school is generally what it comes down to OP. There may be no rules or guidelines but see what everyone else is up to before you decide, err on side of caution until you settle in. Once its professional attire i.e. No rude tshirts, muscle tops etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

I wear usually formal trousers and shoes with a shirt and/or jumper, no tie. I don't wear jeans but a lot of males teachers do in my school. I often feel overdressed but they have being there for years.

I wear jeans most days with a belt, nice shoes and a nice shirt.

I'd never really wear ties.

Who are the male teachers on here?

Not me anyhow, Im a lady original.jpg.

Ya personally I think jeans for guys can be acceptable as long as it's done smartly. Not too baggy, not hangin off ya like a gangsta, not too bleachy/patchy.. defo not with runners.. you end up looking like a 1980's MJFOX, Seinfeld thing. "Yo teach"

o-JERRY-SEINFELD-570.jpg?2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

For TP keep it smart casual just for inspectors etc anyways. When your in for a job/cover/subbing just suss out the room.

Ye men have it so easy.

Ditto for Armelodie and Rainbowtrout!!! :D At least we all know now!

• Advertisement

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    For TP keep it smart casual just for inspectors etc anyways. When your in for a job/cover/subbing just suss out the room.

Ye men have it so easy.

Ditto for Armelodie and Rainbowtrout!!! :D At least we all know now!

You mean you're outing Rainbowtrout as a bloke?

24818BP~The-Simpsons-Nelson-Haha-Posters.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

You mean you're outing Rainbowtrout as a bloke?

24818BP~The-Simpsons-Nelson-Haha-Posters.jpg

She just said she was a woman?!?! Or have I got this all wrong...?:confused:

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    She just said she was a woman?!?! Or have I got this all wrong...?:confused:

I'm most definitely a woman!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Back when I was doing the PGDE I wore slacks and shirt. More formal than most of the staff apart from one other that dressed in a similar way. The male teachers in the school often wore jeans. Nobody but the Principal wore a tie. I decided that it was best to err on the safe side. It was recommended to us in college to dress smartly and at the end of the day I was there to keep my inspector happy. I stuck wearing them the whole time I was there because if I was switching from smart casual to slacks and formal shoes one day to the next it would have been very obvious. Now, post-dip I wear quite smart casual with a shirt. Sometimes wear black tidy jeans, but haven't worn blue.
    As an aside, a dip student that was in the school I was working in last year used to wear skinny blue trousers, canvas beige/white, shoes etc. For someone that is trying to make an impression in a school for job references and impressing his inspector, I personally don't think it looked very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Your inspector will definitely be looking for you to be dressed to a high standard. Mine expected me to be smartly dressed at all times . So my uniform consisted of a smart dress/trousers/shirt with a blazer combo . When you get a job in the future you can gauge what the norm is your school and wear what you feel comfortable in. But for TP play it safe:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

For me anyway, it's navy chinos or something similar with dubarrys and maybe a nice shirt/jumper/cardigan/blazer. Can vary from day to day, but for TP you'd want to give a good impression and dress accordingly. Some days I feel like I'd be better off going in in rags, my clothes being covered in sawdust makes the effort seem worthless :o Usually when you get a fixed job in a place you can tend to dress down a bit, for example some of the other male staff in our place wear them cheap jeans you'd find in pennies with a white shirt - one (a farmer outside school) wears wellies in the winter when the team he coaches are out training/playing a match on the pitch!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

so short sleeve shirts would be acceptable? I like air going through me if its any bit mild and I would have a bit of a paranoia about sweating in front of people especially when under pressure starting off.

Nothing wrong at all with short sleeve shirts, its still a shirt.

Advertisement